Benefits advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits advice

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
edited January 2021 in Coffee lounge
I'm afraid I will no longer be offering benefits advice on this forum.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Don't let the odd comment put you off, you know so much :)
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    @woodbine please still post woodbine we can’t loose anybody else . 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine I may not get on with you and you swore at me but you have been helpful to people regarding benefits  so I hope that you would carry on helping you never know one day we may get on 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Commenting on any discussion, in any category, is forever completely optional . Thank you for the benefit advice you have given in the past @woodbine :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Whilst diplomacy is always to be admired @Ross_Scope , it can too be misplaced. I'll rephrase the old saying, as another recently was trying to ' teach his grandfather to suck eggs.' I can see how this rankled, & then you unfortunately 'added another coal to the fire.'
    It sometimes seems that rather than show empathy to both sides, some newer members are favoured....
    I'm upset too with the platitudes given, sorry. @woodbine should rather be encouraged to keep on doing what he does best.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    Meh, I've had battles with @woodbine that's why he's currently on my ignore list.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @chiarieds I have seen the comment but Ross scope did say that both comments were helpful and the other person wasn't putting it in a nasty way I think that woodbine has taken it the wrong way this time 

This is only my opinion though 
  • woodbine
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @chiarieds you hit the nail on the head, it seems that some newer members can get away with murder whilst others are almost run out of town for breathing.
    @MrAllen1976 you have had NO battles with me you have just taken umbrage at sensible advice freely given, (Removed by moderator for being a personal comment towards another member)

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine it’s sad that you feel you can no longer comment on posts regarding benefits, I’m positive that your breadth of knowledge will be missed.

For anyone that doesn’t know, woodbine is a well respected poster on this forum. 

@chairiads I agree with you that sometimes giving people the benefit of the doubt can be very annoying to aggrieved parties. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    Options
    @leecal thank you for those kind words, hopefully the running of this forum will improve enough for me to come back to help with benefits, if i'm honest this forum has become one of the most badly run forums I've seen in a long time, they even emailed me a thinly veiled written warning last week !

The single most important thing in the running of any forum is to be seen to be firm but fair, and yet scope seem happy to allow people to post what we know to be lies and then tell off anybody who dares to point that out.<shakes head>

The reallity is that as a forum scope needs to allow people to tell it how it is not some sugar coated pill...which fools know one and ends up making us all look like fools.

It's been said before but this forum is long overdue a re:boot.

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    All this because I quoted the eligibility criteria that’s on the gov website? It’s factually correct! 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Thank you too @leeCal - woodbine is indeed a well respected member. Unfortunately it seems that the Scope team bend over backwards making everyone feel welcome to the detriment of the community in general's well being. It's just not OK, unfortunately.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Options
    This is part of my comment from this thread, I just thought it was worth pasting it here too as it is relevant to the discussion:

Regarding the thread from yesterday evening, titled "Benefits advice", I just wanted to explain the situation for the benefit of everyone involved here. The thread has not been deleted, instead it was temporarily removed from public view pending review from the community team. 

One of the challenges of forum moderation is to make decisions that safeguard the well being of our members for the moments when we are not around, and in this instance we felt that the thread was veering off the important topic of thanking @woodbine for his benefit advice. There were already personal comments and disagreements that had the potential to escalate, so we felt the best course of action would be to temporarily remove the thread until the next time the community would be staffed. 

We have reviewed the thread and it will now be moved back into public view and people will be free to comment, because @woodbine deserves all the thanks he gets for his devotion to giving benefit advice on the community. I would just like to urge everybody to stay on the topic, remain respectful and follow the community guidelines. If you have any complaints about how the community is moderated we would welcome you to contact us privately about this, which you can do by emailing community@scope.org.uk or by sending any of @Tori_Scope@Cher_Scope or @Adrian_Scope a private message on the community.

Finally, like always we would like to remind people to use the "flag" button to report a post to us if you ever feel as though it might breech the community guidelines.  We have recently noticed an upturn in people using this feature, so thank you for that.

All the best
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Tbh IMHO Scope are not just running a benefits advice forum, it's also possibly more important now than ever to also understand some medical issues, & with the best will in the world the Scope team don't, tho they have an understanding about their own disorders in depth.
    Scope is for disabled people, but sadly more than benefits advice/knowledge is also lacking, I feel.
  • woodbine
    Options
    @Ross_Scope I think perhaps this thread could be closed now? Thanks

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thread closed on request of OP.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
This discussion has been closed.