It's been a bad day today.. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

It's been a bad day today..

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
... But I got through it, we lost my dad 12 months ago today, and I really really miss him, the one comfort was that he was reunited with mum, they'd been together for over 60 years and he basically died of a broken heart after she died. But to top it all our son who is having some real problems (not covid related) who last year we bailed out to the tune of more than £1500 accused me of not caring because I said sorry but enough is enough fgs he's 37 almost and needs to stand on his own two feet (I'm not being harsh am i? after all our only income is benefits).
Right enough of feeling sorry for myself i'm off to bed, g'night all xx
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    Night x yes not a good day myself as very confused about everything at the moment I had a older Indian husband 20 years older he lives miles away due to work, I'm not sure where to live, weather is awful, lack of support  and even less support etc due to covid 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hope tomorrow is better day 

I lost my dad 12 years ago and I still miss him everyday 

As for your son I tend to agree would be reasonable if you had the resources to help 

However it's not always about their age my mum bailed me out when I was 50 when my husband left me and my son I was working then but takes time to adjust to suddenly being single parent with the ex not paying a penny towards his young child 

Sorry this is about you so good night have good nights rest 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry, this must have been a bad day to get through. When my Dad was dying (& after being unresponsive for a couple of weeks), many years after losing my Mum, I said go & be with her, & our youngest daughter. That was the hardest thing I ever said; he smiled then after talking to me a little, & died that night. I remember their birthdays, & have managed to blot out the dates of when I lost my parents. To me, those you love, you will carry them forever in your heart.
    No excuse, but sometimes it's (perhaps) down to your children's personalities, work ethos, or whatever. My daughter is 40, my son 34. The younger one has had a wiser head on his shoulders for about 15 years.
  • emzixox
    emzixox Community member Posts: 41 Connected
    So sorry hope tomorrow is a better day lost my dad 3years ago miss him everyday you just learn to cope around the grief some days will be extremely hard others ul feel brighter as for your son I don't think your being selfish at all I'm 35 and I don't ask my mum for money and with you helping him already he should be grateful that uve helped him and not expect you to bail him out I can recommend trent ptsd for coumcilimg and therapy its free and helped me massively with grief
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine when they are babies they break your arms when they are older they break your heart but you love just as much 

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind and let them walk on their own for a bit 

Hope you have a better day when you get up
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    It's always times like this that are the hardest @woodbine. Don't feel guilty about your son he is old enough to look after himself and sometimes the only way to improve a situation is to say no. 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @woodbine anniversaries are always the hardest to get through. Your parents were very lucky to have spent 60 years together, it must be very hard to carry on after losing your companion after that amount of time. As for your son, all I will say is that children can be very ungrateful at times, we can spend our lives doing our best for our kids and then wonder why we bothered. I hope things are better after a nights' sleep. Have a good moan to senior management :)

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Hope you have a better day today @woodbine.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    Good morning, thanks all for your messages of support and understanding John x

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm very sorry to hear of everyone's losses. I hope that today is a better day for you @woodbine :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    @woodbine I'm sorry you've had some painful days  :(  My other half lost his father three years ago, and we had a hard day getting through the anniversary of it this week too.  Grief is so hard and as others have said, the longing to see that person comes in ebbs and flows.  Remember your friends on the community are here for you always  <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    @Cher_Scope thank you x

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    I'm really sorry to hear of the difficult past few days you have had @woodbine and for your loss, my thoughts are with you. Thank you.
  • davis_smit
    davis_smit Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    @woodbine when they are babies they break your arms when they are older they break your heart but you love just as much 

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind and let them walk on their own for a bit 

Hope you have a better day when you get up
    Yes dear you are right.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,366 Disability Gamechanger
    One of my family members is the same. Don’t want to mention any names or titles but I guess it’s obvious it’s a sibling.

When I was a teenager I was very unwell and took a lot of my parents’ time up so my sibling got spoiled rotten in an attempt to make up for the time they were not having spent on them. However they then got used having money given to them and always expecting someone else to pay for their stuff.

When they became an adult they continued having money thrown at them - first 2 cars were given free and first was even fully paid for (insurance, petrol etc) whereas I paid for mine myself even though I was on benefits.

This would all be bearable if they weren’t so ungrateful and very often rude and aggressive toward my parents, and that is what gets to me. I am really grateful for what I get - a roof over my head and caring parents - but others seem to take this for granted. (I hope I don’t sound like I’m attempting to come across as perfect as I’m far from it.)

I am still living at home too (albeit due to my issues, not my fault) so can’t have a go at my sibling for still living at home but it is the fact that they are abusive towards my parents which I find unacceptable. If I had a child who was being abusive towards me they would be given an ultimatum to become a civil human being or just leave.

I’m really sorry for stealing your thread to mention my own problems, but I just wanted to get it off my chest and also wanted to highlight that you are not alone with your child expecting you to give them money all the time, and being ungrateful for it.
  • davis_smit
    davis_smit Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Great talk dear.

Brightness