PIP success stories on mental health grounds? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP success stories on mental health grounds?

kimbychick
kimbychick Community member Posts: 33 Connected
Hi, I would love to hear any success stories and what you were awarded please? I have been on PIP since 2017. Posted my review form 3 weeks ago and really anxious waiting and wondering the outcome. My diagnosis is generalised anxiety disorder, depression, panic disorder and agoraphopbia. Thank you x

Comments

• johnsmith187
    johnsmith187 Community member Posts: 69 Pioneering
    My wife got zero points for anxiety, depression,OCD and aggrophobia, took it to tribunal and got awarded 10 points for DL and 10 for mobility (3yr claim). Also claimed in 2017 so have just started the process again unfortunately.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    It really doesn't matter what one persons experience is as everybody is different as PIP isn't awarded for an illness/condition but the care and/or mobility issues that arise and they differ.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• johnsmith187
    @woodbine when you're going through something stressful like claiming for benefits it sometimes helps to hear other people's experiences especially success stories, to encourage you. If it has value to op then it most certainly does matter.
  • kimbychick
    Thanks for your comments. Your wife had a similar outcome to me actually. In 2017 I was awarded 0 points then awarded 10 points daily living after MR. Then also 10 points mobility after appeal. I am just hoping I dont have to go through this process again as it is so stressful.
  • johnsmith187
    @kimbychick We are exactly the same at the moment. Completely dreading having to go to appeal again, I just sent off her forms last week but have been obsessing ever since.  It's also so annoying that if you go to appeal you have to start a new claim Vs having a renewal as none of her previous claim will be looked at so have to send in all the info again. I do wish you luck with yours, you never know we might both get lucky and not have to appeal?. (Touch wood)
  • woodbine
    @woodbine when you're going through something stressful like claiming for benefits it sometimes helps to hear other people's experiences especially success stories, to encourage you. If it has value to op then it most certainly does matter.
    I beg to differ, my point is that every single case is individual no two the same especially with PIP

• kimbychick
    Thanks John. I wish you and your wife lots of luck. Stay in touch and we can maybe help one another. You are absolutely right it does help to hear other people's success stories. Especially people who are in almost the same situation. Thanks again.
  • johnsmith187
    @woodbine well considering op has already stated she has found the comments helpful I guess you've been proved wrong. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @johnsmith187 @woodbine is right peoples situations are different and prople have different decision makers  but there is a bit of hope when there are succes stories 

Hopefuly yours will be a succes good luck and hope things turn out good for you 
  • woodbine
    @woodbine well considering op has already stated she has found the comments helpful I guess you've been proved wrong. 
    i'm a big boy with broad shoulders  B)

• johnsmith187
    @lisathomas50 I never disputed woodbines comment that all pip claims are different. I disputed the fact that hearing other people's success stories has no value. Which you yourself seem to agree with. 
  • johnsmith187
    woodbine said:
    i'm a big boy with broad shoulders  B)
    As it should be on internet forums, no hard feelings.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @johnsmith187 it might not have value  but it gives people hope it shows thst it does sometimes work 

If all you kept  hearing was bad things people wouldn't try 

At least there is hope with success stories 
  • woodbine
    never any hard feelings

• johnsmith187
    @kimbychick no problem and I will certainly keep updating whenever and wherever I have progress,hope you do the same. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I would ask you to respect our communities guidelines @johnsmith187 - If you don't agree with another poster, that's fine, but always show respect for the other's opinion too. @woodbine is not 'wrong,' but has given the benefit of his advice. Whilst it's helpful to encourage other members saying about any 'success' stories, that is just another person's 'subjective' story; just their personal experience. Sometimes it's worthwhile standing back & being 'objective' too, as woodbine has done here. Often posts made are read by newer members down the line, so in this community we do try help both present & future members in that regard. That's not for a moment to suggest that all members will not be supported to the best of our ability.
  • johnsmith187
    edited January 2021
    @chiarieds I'm sorry I'm abit confused here, op asked for success stories as she is feeling anxious and would like some comfort, woodbine then came in and said success stories don't matter as every pip is different. I then interjected that they obviously do matter to op as she finds comfort in them. And you're saying woodbine was not wrong and that hearing other people's success stories doesn't matter to op,that's odd as op has already confirmed the opposite. 
  • woodbine
    sorry @johnsmith187 is there a point to continuing this "argument", personally I suspect not @chiarieds was merely pointing out the community guidelines and rightly so.

• johnsmith187
    @woodbine if you do not wish to comment then do not comment. 
  • woodbine
    sorry but i've scrolled back and cannot see where I said i did not wish to comment.

This discussion has been closed.

Brightness