PIP backpayment has gone to debt management. PIP said the money will go to someone else first. Who? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP backpayment has gone to debt management. PIP said the money will go to someone else first. Who?

Options
maud84
maud84 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited February 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help I’ve been told my pip back payment has gone to debt management as I have a overpayment to pay but will still be left with some back pay after this is taken off, it’s been 3 weeks and I haven’t heard anything and debt management said they have not received the money yet from pip, I phoned pip and they have said it goes to someone else first so can’t trace it? Does anyone know who it goes to? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi @maud84 good evening and welcome to scope, not heard of this problem before, I suspect the only people who can answer will be PIP 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @maud hi  I dont know where it goes to before debt management but I expect it will get there

Hope it gets sorted soon 
  • maud84
    Options
    thank you for your reply I asked pip who it goes to first and they didn’t even know, I guess it’s just a waiting game ??‍♀️
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @maud its always a waiting game with the dwp lol ?  
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    Do you owe money for any benefit ? I can’t see why it Would go to debt management? 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @cupcake88 she owes pip money so the person has to pay to the DWP debt management 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    Oh because she mentioned the money is comming out her pip back pay I thought it was a different benefit I thought it was her first time getting pip . Was you over paid on your pip and then you got your review and your payment was changed  ? Is that what happened 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    there is an outstanding debt to DWP for any benefit then they can offset this against the PIP arrears payment. It is very unlikely that the debt itself relates to PIP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • maud84
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @calcotti hi yes there is a small debt with an overpayment from dwp from years ago that’s what they will be taking out of my pip back payment I just wondered if anyone knew who it is that they send the money to before debt management as debt management has not received it? 
  • calcotti
    Options
    Unfortunately I have no idea on that (doesn’t make much sense does it!). 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @colcotti could it be that it just hasn't been registered yet as been paid???
  • maud84
    Options
    @calcotti no doesn’t make sense and pip seem like they don’t know either ??‍♀️ Debt management have tried to be helpful tho hopefully I will hear something soon thank you all for your help 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @maud could you let us know how you get on 
  • maud84
    Options
    @lisathomas50 yes of course I phoned debt management today they still have not received the money so said ring back by the end of the week as they should of had it by now but it does go to a few other people before it gets to them.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @maud fingers crossed the dwp do some strange things  nothing is straight forward 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @maud - I just wanted to welcome you to the group, & to hope you get your problem resolved shortly. :)
  • calcotti
    edited February 2021
    Options
    On the other hand it may be helpful for OP to have the debt paid off so there are no future deductions from ongoing benefits.

Mike, are you suggesting that the statements at 5.8 and 5.9 of https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/benefit-overpayment-recovery-staff-guide/benefit-overpayment-recovery-guide#chapter-5--how-do-we-recover have no legal basis?
    5.8 Social Security legislation allows for the recovery of recoverable overpayments by compulsory deductions from most benefits. For a complete list, see Appendix 1
    5.9 The deduction can be made from a different benefit to the one originally overpaid, 

Paras 5.49 onwards refer also

(I do note that unlike Advice to Decision Makers and Decision Makers Guide no legislation references are given in the recovery guide.)

• calcotti
    Options
    Thanks, Mike. Yes 5.49 onwards deals with arrears, I was asking a more general point about offsetting. Are you also saying that the inclusion of PIP in the benefits list at Appendix 1 is incorrect?
  • naelliott
    naelliott Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    maud84 said:
    Hi I was wondering if anyone can help I’ve been told my pip back payment has gone to debt management as I have a overpayment to pay but will still be left with some back pay after this is taken off, it’s been 3 weeks and I haven’t heard anything and debt management said they have not received the money yet from pip, I phoned pip and they have said it goes to someone else first so can’t trace it? Does anyone know who it goes to? 
    Hi hope you are well? I am currently in the same position as you were, can you please tell me how long this took to resolve for yourself?

Thankyou for your time.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    naelliott said:
    maud84 said:
    Hi hope you are well? I am currently in the same position as you were, can you please tell me how long this took to resolve for yourself?

Thankyou for your time.

This thread was posted  just over 2 years ago and the member hasn't been active since Feb 2021.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.