Baby with talipes / clubfoot and DLA claim unsuccessful — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Baby with talipes / clubfoot and DLA claim unsuccessful

tamiekafriday
tamiekafriday Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone on here has or knows a child with talipes/clubfoot. I have recently applied for DLA for him and it has been declined. My baby is ten months old 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

I dont have experience of this but generally DLA isnt awarded until they are a bit older 

To get it the child has to require additional care to that of any child that age 

Maybe as he isnt of walking age yet that could be why 

I hope others can help and maybe look in our parents section for more advice or contact welfare rights 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Hello @tamiekafriday and a warm welcome to our community.

I've moved your post over to our PIP, DLA and AA category but also wanted to signpost you to the following NHS video about talipes on this webpage.  

In addition to contacting welfare rights, I'd recommend taking a look at Scope's Challenging a decision about PIP or other benefit decisions webpage, if you are considering appealing the DLA outcome.  Good luck and please let us know how you get on.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tamiekafriday - & welcome to the community. Well my child with talipes is now a 30+ year old young man. One of my grandchildren was born with talipes, but just on one side, & the difference in treatment then, as it is continues to be now, was so much easier.
    As far as I was concerned my son really did not need any more looking after than his siblings, so, how are you finding things? Is he at the stage of boots & bar to keep his feet in the corrected position? I presume he has likely had his achilles tendon lengthened, & this only leaves a tiny pinprick visible. Have you been able to access physiotherapy? It was easier for me with my son as I'm a physio & knew how to gently mobilise his feet, so appreciate this might have taken a little getting used to.
    Anyway, here's me asking all the questions, when perhaps you have some. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.