Discrimination when applying for jobs and being in the work place — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discrimination when applying for jobs and being in the work place

cupcake88
cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
edited February 2021 in Work and employment
Hi every one as most of you may know I’m a big believer in letting an employer know that your disabled from the start . But it gets very disheartening when you apply for jobs and you feel your not given a chance because of your disability.

it makes me really sad to think I used to be such a hard worker in a job I loved and now I struggle to even hold down a job that’s only a couple of hours a week . I think it would be impossible for me to ever work full time again . But I did try a local cleaning Job my self the same one I tried recently and ended up lasting a hour there prepared to give me another chance if I want try again this place is very understanding so there is hope out there that there are nice employees I was going to try again but then I started getting paranoid thoughts . I don’t reality see me being able to work again so I’m trying to try little jobs that are less stressful but even that I can’t do it gets me down . 

What I found hard to deal with in the work place is it’s not just the managers it’s the staff as well they all say they understand mental illness but I don’t think many people really do understand as they seem to find it amusing if I ever had a panic attack or even when they could see how distressed I was due to hearing voices  because I have been told it’s obvious to tell when I’m not well . That also puts me off returning to work and he staff you have to be around . I’m a very paranoid person . 

I guess I’m just starting this thread to head other people’s expieriences working and being disabled ? 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    When I first became disabled and unable to work 23 years ago now, I found it very very difficult, but I found that once I accepted that I was never going to be able to work again that it some how became easier to accept.
    I had a career that I really did love and it was a pleasure to go to work everyday, but I managed to adapt and realise that sometimes your health is more important than your wealth.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine I am always told I dont need to work  but this last year not working has had an impact on me  so have decided to re train for a different job which may be a challenge due to age and doing a job I havent done  before but challenges  are what keep me going 

The kick start course is realy helping me thats with scope so fingers crossed I may get where I want to be 

I am sorry you couldn't carry on working but as you said its more important to keep your health 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    It is very hard to come to terms with not bring able to work 

One day I was working in a career i had for 30 years in a stressful but rewarding job in senior management and the next day I became disabled unable to work 

I hoped this wasnt going to be forever but knew it would be few years at least.  But unfortunately in that time new disabilities prevent a return to work 

A disability is life changing in more ways than one but as above you have to accept your limitations 

My biggest bit of advice is to concentrate and celebrate what you can do rather than dwell and mourn what you cant do 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @cupcake88 I don't know if uou have already tried  but scope do a realy good job support  course that may help you  apologies before hand if you have already tried ? 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Meh, I've been applying to almost everything going recently that I have experience in, and every time I declare my disability I get rejected, like I got rejected yesterday for Pets at Home in Wadsley Bridge! OK it was a bit of a pain to get to without a lift or some other form of transport, but I'd have sorted that somehow.

One day, despite Dad's opinion that he doesn't want me to work, I WILL work for money... Only problem is I'm 45 soon, so if an employer gets 15 years out of me before I have to call it a day at 60, they'd be lucky.. I also highly doubt I'd get a Pension due to spending most of my adult life on disability related benefits.

• cupcake88
    @woodbine hi there sorry for my late reply just seen every ones responses yes your absolutely right wood bine health is more important it would of been one year ago today when I was first diagnosed and finally got help after being on the decline for years I really struggle to accept my illness thanks for sharing with me your story . I’m glad you have come to terms with not being able to work I really struggle .

@janer1967  thanks for sharing your story with me and for that advice that’s really helpful . I’m still at the stage of mourning who I used to be I haven’t quite accepted this is how iam now . My nurse was saying to me last week I need to come to terms with this is how I am now she said it doesn’t mean I can’t work in the future but she said it would be unlikely I would ever be off medication which makes it hard to do certain jobs and me ever doing full time she said isn’t going to happen maybe a part time job in the future . I think why I struggle to come to terms with my disability is because I’m like this because one person abused me and tried to kill me I struggle with That daily . Thanks so much for your kind words and support as always xx
  • cupcake88
    @lisathomas50 hi lisa thanks for your kind words yes I’m going to be doing a online learning course my nurse thinks it’s a really good idea @janer1967 recommend some course websites which was really helpful 

• cupcake88
    @MrAllen1976
    Hi mr Allen thanks for your advice it is a real struggle isn’t it but don’t give up and make sure you do mention your disability so they adjust and help you with work as good companies should do . 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    cupcake88 said:
    @MrAllen1976
    Hi mr Allen thanks for your advice it is a real struggle isn’t it but don’t give up and make sure you do mention your disability so they adjust and help you with work as good companies should do . 
    Completely and utterly pointless to bring it up, my application gets rejected every time! I also can't help that 100% of my customer facing retail work is in Charity shops, it's literally the only place that will take on almost anybody with a pulse even if they're disabled.

• kittyfeaver
    kittyfeaver Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    cupcake88 said:
    Hi every one as most of you may know I’m a big believer in letting an employer know that your disabled from the start . But it gets very disheartening when you apply for jobs and you feel your not given a chance because of your disability.

it makes me really sad to think I used to be such a hard worker in a job I loved and now I struggle to even hold down a job that’s only a couple of hours a week . I think it would be impossible for me to ever work full time again . But I did try a local cleaning Job my self the same one I tried recently and ended up lasting a hour there prepared to give me another chance if I want try again this place is very understanding so there is hope out there that there are nice employees I was going to try again but then I started getting paranoid thoughts . I don’t reality see me being able to work again so I’m trying to try little jobs that are less stressful but even that I can’t do it gets me down . 

What I found hard to deal with in the work place is it’s not just the managers it’s the staff as well they all say they understand mental illness but I don’t think many people really do understand as they seem to find it amusing if I ever had a panic attack or even when they could see how distressed I was due to hearing voices  because I have been told it’s obvious to tell when I’m not well . That also puts me off returning to work and he staff you have to be around . I’m a very paranoid person . 

I guess I’m just starting this thread to head other people’s expieriences working and being disabled ? 
    Hi Cupcake88. I came across your post and instantly recognised what you described.

I desperately want to get back into work after nearly ten years of not being employed. I too have suffered with paranoid thoughts. I tend to get them is I get too tired or do too much or spend time with others. 

I have autism and bipolar which affect my mood and social interactions. However, I've never heard of anyone who has also described having paranoid thoughts. 

I feel as though nearly all my communication with others has been blighted by their indifference, intolerance or mockery of me in varying degrees. They often can not understand that I am capable and intelligent. I am just different from them. 

I am now fairly housebound and it frustrates me so much. I yearn to be 'normal', to be accepted and to belong. It makes me unbearably sad to think I may never real achieve anything in my life other than simply exist. 

I hope this message doesn't make you feel down. I just wanted you to know that I can truly relate to you and I am always trying to get myself better and stronger. Maybe that's the key. Ignore everyone else and keep on pushing forward.

Brightness