Post office DWP payment closing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Post office DWP payment closing

chloexxx
chloexxx Community member Posts: 28 Connected
Hello there, first post so forgive me if there's not enough info etc but I'm looking for advice.
The post office are going to close the bank accounts of ALL the people in receipt of benefits and anyone who has an account now need to set up a bank account here's where my problem comes in, I have a mental health issue that stops me from leaving my home, I have never had any form of photo ID as I have never had any need and as I've said I can't leave the home yet DWP want me to set up a bank account. I have asked them how as all banks require photo ID and they said they can't help the only other way is I get sent a cash card that I take to a corner shop (paypoint) and show the person behind the counter my disability papers to prove who I am, obviously this can't be done as I can't leave my home and they have been told this. Also how insensitive I as others already have a disability physical or mentally and they want us to advertise this in corner shops etc I feel this is disgusting and offensive to people like us. Any help I would be extremely grateful.
Thank you in advance

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    You don’t need photo ID to open an account. This can be done with many other documents, also a lot of banks are doing online opening of accounts and verification. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I am not advocating you use this bank but it is an example of alternative ID which may be acceptable 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chloexxx
    Mark, I appreciate the response, Halifax, Barclays and HSBC who I've rang today have all said NO they can't help one said you can open a basic account but would still need you to come down and basic accounts are for people with bad credit/criminal record etc. 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    chloexxx said:
    Mark, I appreciate the response, Halifax, Barclays and HSBC who I've rang today have all said NO they can't help one said you can open a basic account but would still need you to come down and basic accounts are for people with bad credit/criminal record etc. 
    As already mentioned above, you can open an account with banks without Photo ID. 

I’ve had several current accounts, not basic, never held photo ID and had no issue. 
  • chloexxx
    LeeCal thanks for that, now I feel like I'm being lied too 
  • chloexxx
    Mark thank you, you've settled my nerves a bit gonna try again tomorrow, fingers crossed 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    I think this action has been initiated by DWP rather than the Post Office. There was a contract between DWP and PO which DWP have not renewed.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    @chloexxx basic bank accounts aren't just for people with bad credit/criminal record. As above really most banks will accept a range of I.D and accounts can be opened online.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I opend an account online with Lloyd's  most banks let you open accounts on line I I was using my account as an example ? 
  • chloexxx
    Can't thank all of you enough, you all have certainly calmed my worries. Really appreciate your help 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Hope you get something sorted soon

Take care ? 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chloexxx - you've received some great advice above. I just wanted to add I have 2 bank accounts, one just in my name, & a joint account with my son. For the latter, we just opened a basic account, as, in my bank's case, this didn't offer a cheque book or overdraft, neither of which we needed. Please let us know how you get on, thank you. :)
  • chloexxx
    Chiarieds thank you, currently trying to get it done through the tsb but there website has just said we need photo ID or come into the store. I feel like hitting my head against a brick wall, I can't keep trying different or they'll block me for the amount of credit checks 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lloyd's  may not need photo id if you go for a basic  or barclsys  or santander apologies if they have already been tried  cash plus is another one  that went to being a bank today   worth a try 
  • chloexxx
    I've just got through and they want a photo ID, then they say if you don't have ID send 3 copies of registered paperwork with your name and address on etc but they want them notarised by a solicitor, seriously ?? I can't leave my house for anything. I literally don't know what else I can do 
  • chloexxx
    The treatment towards disabled people is disgusting 
  • woodbine
    To be fair I think most disabled people find banks reasonably easy to deal with, my best advice would be to telephone a couple of them tomorrow and explain your situation to them. Read the link for interesting info on credit unions which might be a possibility as well.
    https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/credit-union-current-accounts

• chloexxx
    I agree they do but I don't believe they do towards people with a mental health issue that completely stops them from engaging in the outside world, the DWP and the post office are stopping this and I'm the one left with the headache, I can see that a few of the bank's do what I need however they put other barriers in place that's stops it. 
  • woodbine
    Could I just ask then who helps you normally to engage with the "outside"world? could they not assist you with sorting a bank account? did you read the info about credit unions?

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree with @woodbine that phoning any bank you hope to consider may be the way forward. It does seem that some banks will consider you posting relevant documents to them just proving your identity, & something from the DWP showing your National Insurance number should be OK, & another confirming your address (again).
    I have found that a Building Society, 2 solicitors, & very recently an Estate Agent accepted my Blue Badge as photo ID; the last I just emailed (I did query it was a bit odd as they didn't know what I looked like, but at least it had my name on it; they had wanted me to visit their branch 50 miles away initially!). You might also consider Building Societies. There should be a way forward for you.....after all banks, etc. need peoples' business.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.