Post office DWP payment closing - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Post office DWP payment closing

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @chloexxx as woodbine said I think if you explained your situation especially now with the pandemic I think they will understand  its worth a try 
  • chloexxx
    chloexxx Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    I have my brother, however they will not allow him to come to the bank as in their words he could be anyone. I have read it and thank you it's definitely something to consider once all avenues have been done 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @chiarieds sorry I have over lapped 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    No worries @lisathomas50 - it happens to me fairly frequently. :)
  • chloexxx
    I really appreciate everything from you all. I have rang 6 banks/building societies and they have all said photo ID. The TSB have been the only branch that have said we can do it, it takes 10 mins online and you're done just need valid address and pip paperwork and they will reference it against the electoral to confirm..... however you get so far with the process and they just like the Halifax, Barclays etc they want you to either send a photo ID before you're allowed to continue there is no option for another way so I am stuck.
    I have explained everything and been in tears too, one bank said can't you just have a vaccine and then come thinking it was just about fear of the virus (I kept my cool) but as helpful as the TSB have been I hit the brick wall again. I'm going to call them tomorrow and just hope and prey I get to speak to someone who understands and can help me
  • Lisatho11987777
    Ask to speak to a manager  it may help 
  • chloexxx
    Lisa Thomas , yes this is what I am going to do I have been none stop researching and I will be fully armed with information of exactly what they are required to accept as proof, what I can tell you is that EVERY bank/building society have lied to me. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    I was shocked  how hard it was to get a bank account these days for a current account  my Lloyd's bank account I have had over 30 years  but I just open savings accounts and is accounts  I have a barclays account I opened on line and a santander I opend on line it helps me to manage my bills my cash plus I opend on line some if them I think I just uploaded  a recent bill   I cant remember lol

Hope you get somewhere later today only other thing I can suggest is give citizens advice a call  and see if they can suggest  anything  ?  I have been looking on line for you aswel but you said you have been doing that anyway 

Sorry your going through this 

Good luck hope you get it sorted 
  • chloexxx
    Lisa Thomas bless your kind heart, it really is upsetting and quite ridiculous, some are requiring paperwork to be notarised but the only person who knows me who could do this is my doctor and quite frankly I think they've got enough on their plate. Thank you again 
  • Lisatho11987777
    No problem if I can find another way round it i will let you know  but I think everything has been covered  

Hope it goes well and let us know how you get on 
  • chloexxx
    I will indeed 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Have you got any disability support organisations that are local to you?

I know a few people that needed support setting things up like bank accounts and the local organisations helped them do so, they helped with the application, etc. Just a thought and a way forward for you. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    This information is on this site 
    https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/what-do-i-need-to-open-a-bank-account/
    Scroll down and click on 
    • Other documents we can accept as proof of identity 
    You should then see this list
    • A benefit entitlement letter less than 12 months old, confirming the benefit payable at the time of issue
    • A UK blue disabled driver’s pass (with photo)
    • A UK Armed Forces identity card
    • An HMRC tax notification dated within 12 months
    • A Home Office immigration status document or application registration card
    • A valid Northern Ireland voter's card
    • An introduction from a parent or guardian who banks with us
    • A Young Scot National Entitlement Card (only for applicants under 18)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chloexxx
    LeeCal, cheers, this is something I have quoted to them and they said unfortunately because of fraud we still need to have photo ID, I asked to speak to a manager and was on hold for 20 mins then cut off. Still trying
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    @chloexxx that’s ridiculous, I hope they get their act together. 

On the list they also state ‘
    • An introduction from a parent or guardian who banks with us’
    I wonder wether another bank would accept his, ie a bank of a relative for example.

i simply googled ‘open a bank account without photo ID’ and I did notice that one bank came up which would do it but charged £10 a month for doing so. I’m certainly not suggesting that you do that yourself, just mentioning it as a matter of interest. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    @chloexxx oh gosh if you don't get anywhere with the banks you may need to try citizen advice they might be able to help 

Its very frustrating for you 

Hope you get somewhere today 
  • chloexxx
    Worth a try my bro banks with them
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    chloexxx said:

I have explained everything and been in tears too, one bank said can't you just have a vaccine and then come thinking it was just about fear of the virus (I kept my cool) but as helpful as the TSB have been I hit the brick wall again. I'm going to call them tomorrow and just hope and prey I get to speak to someone who understands and can help me
    I get this so often.  I'm not totally housebound but can't travel far, enter buildings or use telephones.  Most 'normal' people take those things for granted and simply can't understand how we're effected no matter how much you try and explain.

I had problems with First Direct who were insisting on a telephone call to complete the account opening...but also wouldn't cancel the application without a call.  In the end I had to write a letter to their head office to cancel.  However, I've opened several other accounts totally online over the last few years.  Never needed photo ID.  I can only assume it's because I already had accounts, the first of which was opened in branch about 15 years ago before my problems worsened.

I'm not sure of the PO timescales, but I wonder if you could get some photo ID in the meantime - would you be automatically eligible for a blue badge for example?  Or possibly a Provisional driving licence, though I think you have to pay for those.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @chloexxx have you tried Monzo? I just had to take a selfie and upload it. 

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Cressida said:
    @chloexxx have you tried Monzo? I just had to take a selfie and upload it. 

Yes I’ve heard they are quite good too. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.