Dla to pip for 16 year old. How do I know if he's getting a paper-based assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dla to pip for 16 year old. How do I know if he's getting a paper-based assessment?

jtee
jtee Community member Posts: 20 Listener
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi.  I may have posted this twice but I am new, sorry.
in November my son turned 16, he has asd/adhd and other complex neurological issues.
I received the letter saying apply for pip.  I rang dwp 4/12/20, received his forms and posted them back around 8/12/20.  I rang pip who said they’d sent his forms to atos. 17/12/20.
I am his appointee.
I included evidence saying he couldn’t handle a teleconference but I have heard nothing since and I am starting to worry.  Any advice?  How do I know if he is getting a paper based assessment?
has any one else had a similar experience?? 
 Thank you
Tagged:

Comments

• jtee
    Hello, I am new to this.  My son has asd/adhd and other complex neurological issues.  He tur16 in November and I had had to apply for pip.  I returned his forms straight away and I am his appointee.
    I included evidence of his conditions and how they affect him.
    I got through to pip who said they’d sent his forms to atos on dece17th but I have heard nothing since!!
    should they be back with dwp by now?
    he wouldn’t be able to cope with a telephone assessment and I sent evidence of this from school.
    Can anyone advise me of timescales please?
    so I received the letter saying apply for pip 3/12, I rang 4/12. I got his Forman’s filled it in 8/12. Dwp sent forms to atos 17/12.
    how long now?
    any advice please?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Sorry we wouldn't know if he is having paper based you would have to contact atos to ask 

I wouldn't worry too much there are long delays for assessments and as his appointee you would be able to speak on his behalf on a phone assessment 

Any further questions just ask 
  • janer1967
    Hi replied on your other post 
  • jtee
    Thank you.  His dla has an end date of 11/21 so I am not sure why I had to apply so early. Is it just because he turned 16?
    it is a very stressful time.  I just wondered if atos let you know they are doing paper based or if they just go ahead and do it?

thanks
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jtee - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. As Jane says, it might take some time before an assessment is done, & you would just answer any questions. You should hear about such a phone assessment at least 7 days beforehand.
    Did you ask for a paper-based assessment with the evidence you sent in saying your son couldn't manage a phone assessment? It may happen that a decision maker could just ring you to ask a few questions about anything they needed clarifying to complete an assessment based on the paper evidence you sent in. I don't think you get any warning of when this could potentially happen.
    Altho your son has an end date of 11/21 for his DLA, this will end approx. when a decision on his PIP claim is reached, & the decision letter will advise when this will be, & the start of PIP payments if your son is awarded PIP.
    I'm sorry you're finding this all so stressful, so please come & talk here any time. :)
  • chiarieds
    Hi @jtee - I see you realised you posted twice, but that doesn't matter. :) Here are the replies: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/76908/dla-to-pip-for-16-year-old

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome @jtee

I've merged your two threads together so everything is in one spot, but no need to worry about posting twice.  It can be confusing to begin with navigating the community :)

I've also moved your thread to our PIP, DLA and AA discussion group which is home to chats like these.  Please ask away if you have any other questions and good luck.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • jtee
    No, I didn’t specifically ask for a paper based assessment but I sent evidence from school when they tried to carry out a basic speaking and listening , oral test.
    my son started swearing, burping and ticking because he got so stressed!. (All oral skills I guess),
    I also sent reports from Camhs saying how his condition affects him.
    if they read the reports I thought they would just carry out paper based.
    I was just wondering what 2020/2021 has brought other claimants and what their timescales are. Getting through to dwp can be tricky

thank you
  • janer1967
    I would contact atos rather than DWP if his application is with them as DWP wont know anything till they get a report back 

Waiting times are different depending on your area so hard to predict and also with staff shortages and home working 
  • sarah1977
    sarah1977 Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    jtee said:
    No, I didn’t specifically ask for a paper based assessment but I sent evidence from school when they tried to carry out a basic speaking and listening , oral test.
    my son started swearing, burping and ticking because he got so stressed!. (All oral skills I guess),
    I also sent reports from Camhs saying how his condition affects him.
    if they read the reports I thought they would just carry out paper based.
    I was just wondering what 2020/2021 has brought other claimants and what their timescales are. Getting through to dwp can be tricky

Hi jtee, my daughter turned 16 in nov. I rang up in dec, filled form in and returned. Ive heard nothing at all. Form had to be back for 1st of jan, otherwise payments would stop.i know they have recieved it as i sent it by recored and im still in payment. I got a letter last week for DLA telling me new rates from april, so im guessing they are still looking at it. 
  • jtee
    Good Morning.  I am so stressed. I have been waiting since December 4th. 3 weeks ago I rang up for a copy of the report.  The guy I spoke to in Belfast said the decision had been made and it was enhanced.  
    I rang today to chase up the report and the lady I spoke to said it hasn’t been sent and she couldn’t see the decision.
    iam totally stressed out now.  She did say she would send the report and get a case manager to call me!!
    has this happened to anyone else?  
  • sarah1977
    jtee said:
    Good Morning.  I am so stressed. I have been waiting since December 4th. 3 weeks ago I rang up for a copy of the report.  The guy I spoke to in Belfast said the decision had been made and it was enhanced.  
    I rang today to chase up the report and the lady I spoke to said it hasn’t been sent and she couldn’t see the decision.
    iam totally stressed out now.  She did say she would send the report and get a case manager to call me!!
    has this happened to anyone else?  
    Omg thats well bad.

My daughter had her assessment this morning. 
  • sarah1977
    Do you have to request a cope of report?. If so how long do you wait before you do 
  • jtee
    Yeah but don’t hold your breath.  I rang 3 weeks ago, chased it up today and they said they will send it but could take 2 weeks.
  • sarah1977
    jtee said:
    Yeah but don’t hold your breath.  I rang 3 weeks ago, chased it up today and they said they will send it but could take 2 weeks.
    Thank you
  • jtee
    I finally got a copy of my son’s report yesterday and it looks pretty favourable to him if I added up the ticks correctly.  It’s been 7 months now. Still no decision.
    i am still getting his dla which is a godsend but 7 months is an awful long time considering he didn’t even need an actual assessment.
    I can’t relax until i know.  For everyone out there taking their 16 year old from dla to pip. Fasten your seatbelts, it’s a long journey.
    will I continue getting dla until his dla end date or does the pip take over? Do you lose out in the interim or is transition seamless?  It surely can’t go on much longer!?
    It is an extremely frustrating and stressful process and if really shouldn’t be!
    there should be a timescale pip adhere to in my opinion.
  • chiarieds
    That sounds hopeful with your son's assessment report @jtee - did you add up the ticks for each component separately? If awarded PIP, as mentioned above, this will continue until a decision is made (not until his current end date for DLA). I can't remember if DLA is paid in arrears, but, if I remember my own claim migrating from DLA to PIP correctly, I think my DLA continued for 4 weeks, & then PIP started. However, your decision letter will give you the dates for these.
  • sarah1977
    @jtee thats great news. Im currently waiting fot my daughters report. Hopefully it wont be long until we both have our decisions 
  • jtee
    Well folks, the ball started rolling with my son’s claim on December 4th 2020. I know there’s a pandemic and staff are working from home, isolating or whatever but the virtue of patience has its limits.  Let’s hope we all hear very soon.
  • sarah1977
    This morning recieved my daughters decision. Enhanced mobilty, no care, she was 2 points shorts. Im going to do a MR, Does anyone know where i send it to. Thanks x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.