PIP and long COVID queries - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and long COVID queries

Options
2»

Comments

• itspersonal
    itspersonal Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    If we’re talking about a local authority welfare rights service then there isn’t a public facing one in the country without a web page at minimum. Look within your Councils web site but bear in mind these things are sometimes given odd labels e.g. Stockport Advice is now the Help With Benefit Appeals service.

The only exception to this would be if the service is second tier i.e. the public can’t access it directly. 
    I think I got confused as I didn’t know welfare rights was run by authorities, I thought it was it’s own charity or company. 
    This is where I did my application which I think is maybe a welfare rights but it could be just they offer advice on a person’s welfare rights maybe? 

https://www.salford.gov.uk/advice-and-support/welfare-rights-and-debt-advice-service/welfare-rights-advice/
  • itspersonal
    Options
    I meant to update to say I haven’t heard anything yet but it has only been a few days so that is probably normal 
  • itspersonal
    Options
    Hello, to update:

A lovely gentleman from welfare rights messaged me this morning. He said the same about 9 months being difficult and might be problematic to evidence as long Covid is new. 

He wants me to fill in a pretend pip form and then he will see if I need help but they are very long and it would take me a long time to do it once, let alone twice if I have to do it again for the real one. I can’t even focus enough to read the help sheet he gave me so I think I’m going to forget about it for now. May be next year there would be more understanding of long Covid or other people will have claimed for long Covid and hearing loss. 

Or may be I will be better and it won’t matter. I really hope I am, I miss cooking or at least being able to smell my food, haha
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @itspersonal. It might be worth you explaining this to the person you spoke with at Welfare Rights as they may have other suggestions of ways they could help you or perhaps your partner could help with the form?

If you feel you may be entitled it would be a shame for you to miss out because of difficulty accessing support. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The only advice and can add is to break it all down into small chunks, read the help sheet over a few days and then try the "pretend" pip form over say a week.
    It's always worth a try @itspersonal
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Longcovid
    Longcovid Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I have long covid and it's been 16 months having all long covid symptoms, the GP doesnt help, first they said its deprrssion and gave me wrong medicition like inhalers, etc...

Now i am lost, hopefully they find something for us
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear that @Longcovid. Yes, hopefully there will be more support in the near future.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • sunnysideup
    sunnysideup Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hello, I have long covid too. Had covid in July 2021 and symptoms just never went away. I applied for PIP in July, sent my forms in August, had my telephone assessment 20th Oct and I'm awaiting the outcome. Mine is so bad I can't walk anywhere without severe fatigue. Just a trip to the supermarket can have me bed bound/sofa bound for days. 
    I've not heard of anyone getting PIP for long covid symptoms but I live in hope because I'm in a desperate place of needing help 🤞 
    I'd urge you to apply. Good luck :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello, I have long covid too. Had covid in July 2021 and symptoms just never went away. I applied for PIP in July, sent my forms in August, had my telephone assessment 20th Oct and I'm awaiting the outcome. Mine is so bad I can't walk anywhere without severe fatigue. Just a trip to the supermarket can have me bed bound/sofa bound for days. 
    I've not heard of anyone getting PIP for long covid symptoms but I live in hope because I'm in a desperate place of needing help 🤞 
    I'd urge you to apply. Good luck :)

You've posted on a thread that's 19 months old and the OP hasn't been active for the same amount of time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.