Post office DWP payment closing - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Post office DWP payment closing

Options
124»

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,619 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine is it the same in wales please 
    It's like many things UK wide, the DWP don't think the post office deal offers them good value any more, especially when the majority of "clients" also have current accounts with other banks(which they do)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine most people have bank accounts here i think people think that if they have a post office dwp account it doesn't affect their savings  lol ?  
  • chloexxx
    chloexxx Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Options
    Woodbine you are correct, The TSB actually said and I quote "don't know why you're in such a rush you've got 9 or so months"  my reply to them was my condition isn't going to change in 9 months it hasn't in 30yrs, this is when I decided to put an official complaint in. 
    Woodbine again you're correct this is why they're doing it.
  • chloexxx
    Options
    @woodbine most people have bank accounts here i think people think that if they have a post office dwp account it doesn't affect their savings  lol ?  

I have the post office account because they were the only considerate bank that offered me help in the beginning. 

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @chloexxx sorry I wasn't referring to yourself  I am an independent advocate and help people in wales and slot of people have a post office account  but a number of people only did it to hide money in a bank account and got caught out lol ? 

The post office account opend if if I temper correctly when they stopped the giro cheque and benefit books  so it was easy to fo with a post office account 

Hope fully  you will be able to get your bank account sorted now  if you used your code they know they can get in trouble if they don't assist you 

You can always phone the regulator again if you still struggle 

Hope I haven't offended or upset you it wasn't my intention sorry if I have 
  • chloexxx
    Options
    @chloexxx sorry I wasn't referring to yourself  I am an independent advocate and help people in wales and slot of people have a post office account  but a number of people only did it to hide money in a bank account and got caught out lol ? 

The post office account opend if if I temper correctly when they stopped the giro cheque and benefit books  so it was easy to fo with a post office account 

Hope fully  you will be able to get your bank account sorted now  if you used your code they know they can get in trouble if they don't assist you 

You can always phone the regulator again if you still struggle 

Hope I haven't offended or upset you it wasn't my intention sorry if I have 

Oh god no you haven't, sorry myself if that was the way my message came across, I know what you're talking about and agree with you. Trust me I'm thankful for everything you have done. ?

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @chloexxx no I read what I put and didn't look right lol and thank you glad I could help ☺ 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @chloexxx - I fear this is one of the occasions when a member, who has tried to help, then says something completely irrelevant. A member should always say whether their comment is from their personal experience, or whether they can back it up with appropriate links. Neither have been given, & as I said, are not relevant in your case, as you're just innocently trying to open a bank account. Hope you get this sorted. :)
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @chiarieds I have apologied  and explained  
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Options
    That's good @lisathomas50 but please think before you text, as it could be taken wrongly, which I'm sure is not your intent. If it's not relevant, why post it?
  • chloexxx
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    That's good @lisathomas50 but please think before you text, as it could be taken wrongly, which I'm sure is not your intent. If it's not relevant, why post it?

I see your point chiarieds it could read like that but considering how @lisathomas50 has responded to me previously, all I can say is she has been a wonderful help and so thoughtful towards me as have everyone on this forum has been, I've never been on a forum that has offered such kindness. 
    Regards me getting it sorted I too like you have said hope it gets sorted soon, it's been very stressful indeed, as bad as the banks have been I understand why, unfortunately we still live in a world where mental health disabilities are looked at from a far and passed over because it's difficult to understand.
    Stay safe ?

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @chloexxx thank you for your kind words means alot to me 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    A lot of Post Offices have closed even pre Pandemic Lisa, the days of the local Postmaster/Mistress who knows everybody are almost long gone I'm afraid, Postman Pat was a children's TV character lol.

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @chloexxx hi hope your ok did you manage to sort a bank account out  hope you managed to get one ?
  • chloexxx
    Options
    @chloexxx hi hope your ok did you manage to sort a bank account out  hope you managed to get one ?

Hey Lisa still no further forward I'm actually ringing them today to see what's happening, I'm doing it by post but I'm waiting for the paperwork to come through been a week and still nothing 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @chloexxx the post is realy slow at the moment so it could take a whilstvletcus kbiw how you get on maybe they will be able to tell you over the phone what's happening 
  • CrazyWorld
    CrazyWorld Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    chloexxx said:
    Hello there, first post so forgive me if there's not enough info etc but I'm looking for advice.
    The post office are going to close the bank accounts of ALL the people in receipt of benefits and anyone who has an account now need to set up a bank account here's where my problem comes in, I have a mental health issue that stops me from leaving my home, I have never had any form of photo ID as I have never had any need and as I've said I can't leave the home yet DWP want me to set up a bank account. I have asked them how as all banks require photo ID and they said they can't help the only other way is I get sent a cash card that I take to a corner shop (paypoint) and show the person behind the counter my disability papers to prove who I am, obviously this can't be done as I can't leave my home and they have been told this. Also how insensitive I as others already have a disability physical or mentally and they want us to advertise this in corner shops etc I feel this is disgusting and offensive to people like us. Any help I would be extremely grateful.
    Thank you in advance
    HI Chloe

I opened basic Santander accounts fully online for myself. both parents and brother all with no photo ID. My mum doesn't have any and they didn't ask for my dad or brothers. The account comes with a top up debit card, online banking and the option to add online savings accounts. I actually find this quite a good account to open. 

Hope this helps :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.