how does having a visual impairment affects us al? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

how does having a visual impairment affects us al?

2»

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I can talk to you on here about how to help you 
    1119082 Posts: 258 Courageous
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Thsts ok what sort if help do you need or advice what  are the problems you have with your eyes 
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @1119082
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @1119082
    I don't have a visual or hearing impairment but it wouldn't stop me being friends with someone that does. I am sorry to hear you've faced cyber bullying and people making fun of you. 

Are you getting on okay with doing college work at home?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @1119082

Welcome to the community, hope you're well.

I'm sorry to hear you've been bullied for having a visual impairment, that must have been difficult to handle. 

We have many visual impaired members on the community, myself included, so I'm sure you'll meet people with shared experiences. 

You mentioned in your opening post about the lockdown, I'd love to hear how it has impacted your visual impairment if you want to talk about it :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Masuma
    Masuma Community member Posts: 30 Listener
    No my visual impairment I have been born with it 
  • Masuma
    Masuma Community member Posts: 30 Listener
    My visual impairment has got no cure 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear it can't be cured @Masuma, you never know though one day there might be one. 

Is there a particular aspect of lockdown that is causing you stress with your visual impairment?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I have what was once considered a rare (genetic) disorder. When I first read about Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome 20 years ago, the incidence was 1 in 20,000, that figure subsequently came down to 1 in 10,000; currently 1 in 5,000 for the commonest type I have, tho acknowledged that this incidence is now probably also out of date. Sometimes the more is known about a disorder, the more it may be picked up on by Drs. & therefore the incidence 'appears' to decrease. However, as above, there can also be bias, which should be acknowledged.
    Both my son & I have nystagmus at the extremes of our lateral gaze, tho unlikely to be considered in the general 'nystagmus' population. However this was found as I was looking into Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome in some being associated with a neurological problem called Chiari 1 Malformation. I was fortunate to get in touch with a neurosurgeon at the Chiari Institute in New York; the world's first Chiari hospital. Not only did patients from other parts of the States go there, but also from many countries.
    They did a retrospective study of 2813 patients, & found nearly 13% of their Chiari patients also had Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, but noted the bias. Those that had a prior 'failed' Chiari surgery went there; some of these due to having previously unrecognised Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome as they later found. As yet we don't know the true incidence of Chiari 1 Malformation in some of those with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.
    So, the incidence of a disorder may gradually decrease as it is better known over the years; bias may be noted & the incidence likely too high as I've mentioned, or the incidence too low, as illustrated above by 'research' that didn't seem to have acknowledged such a bias. 
  • cartha
    cartha Community member Posts: 1,390 Pioneering
    1119082 said:
    My visual impairment has  affected me to be friends with other people and I want to be able to improve this in the future.
    I have been bullied before due to the fact I have got a visual impairment such as it is a sensory condition instead of a medical condition that affects only 5 percent of my vision. Nystagmus does affect 1- in  5 people worldwide. 
    You shouldn't find any bullying on Scope. I have been at the receiving end of bullying and discrimination for other reasons and know how it feels, and how it affects quality of life. It's nice to be in a place (Scope) without being judged. My problems are related to my mental health and autism but my dad has terrible eye sight, and was blind for two years after bodged operations, so I know about his struggles with things which may be similar to yours. He had detached retinas on both eyes. There is a lot which he doesn't see, especially on computer screens. I haven't been able to get him to change over to something that will read and type for him (he's super stubborn!), just like I haven't been able to convince him to get a mobility scooter so he go further on walks, etc. He sees all these aids as a step backwards rather than embracing the technology. Anyway, I'm going off topic :-)  There seems to be some good friendly people on here, and I'm sure a good number will have had some experience with bullying. Cyber bullying can seem worse because people will often say more online than in person. It would have to be an ignorant person who bullies but I have known a bully to do a complete u-turn when they have a better understanding of another person's struggles. Unfortunately that seems not too common.
  • Masuma12345678
    Masuma12345678 Posts: 50 Listener
    Okay Scope is very helpful and I have creating more friendship groups during my time at College.
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
    1119082 said:
    My visual impairment has  affected me to be friends with other people and I want to be able to improve this in the future.
    I have been bullied before due to the fact I have got a visual impairment such as it is a sensory condition instead of a medical condition that affects only 5 percent of my vision. Nystagmus does affect 1- in  5 people worldwide. 
    Hi There,

Welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear you have experienced this. 

I too am visually impaired and have found it difficult to judge the Socially Distancing rules. I also have Nystagmus.

CSno01

Brightness