Hi, If my working daughter moves in with me and my husband will this affect our esa and pips. Thanks — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, If my working daughter moves in with me and my husband will this affect our esa and pips. Thanks

lulu57
lulu57 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited February 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, If my working daughter moves in with me and my husband will this affect our esa and pips. Thanks

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lulu57

I just wanted to wish you a very warm welcome to the community. Also I have moved your discussion to a more appropriate category for you :) 

It won't impact your PIP as that isn't means tested.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • lulu57
    Hi, Thanks so much for replying and welcoming me, so kind of you.  Just one more question, will our esa be affected? Thank you.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Your daughter is a separate benefit unit to you and has no impact on your ESA. If you are claiming Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction she would normally be expected to make a contribution but if your PIP includes the Daily Living component she will not be expected to contribute so these will not be affected either. Indeed if you are getting Housing Benefit but it doesn’t cover all of your rent then her moving in may increase your HB because there is a need for an additional bedroom.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • lulu57
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  I want to help my daughter as she has been made redundant due to covid crisis.  She has managed to get a job now working from home but unfortunately was unable to keep up with her mortgage payments and had to sell her house and was not entitled to help. I do not want to see her struggle in poor quality housing so the only option was to take her and my grand daughter in.  Thanks again for your information.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    It has just occurred to me which could mean my previous answer is incorrect. Do both you and your husband receive PIP? If so, are you getting the SDP in your ESA award? If the answer to both these questions is yes then your daughter moving in will result in the loss of the SDP unless she also gets a disability benefit. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.