ESA and UC — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and UC

Options
Laff91
Laff91 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited February 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi again,
So I've been sat worrying as I'm due to get paid tomorrow, and for some reason I'm panicking that I won't (doesn't help when I suffer with Depression & Anxiety).
I had a decision maker contact me regarding my ESA, now i was in the support group.
The decision was made which says "Following your work capability assessment, we have decided that you have limited capability for work but are now fit enough to take part in work related activities, you may get less universal credit because you no longer have capability for work related activity"
This sounds to me, that im no longer getting ESA, but my head is all over the place with worry, could someone just explain to me whether or not im still getting ESA or do i have to now apply for something else?
I know i asked in a pervious post but looking back, im a little confused,
I should get paid tomorrow, would i still be paid on the same date even though i've been moved out the support group?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am not clear whether you are getting ESA or UC or both. Regardless, as you have been found to have a Limited Capability for Work if you previously had Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity, you will now get less benefit but you will still be receiving benefits. If you disagree with the decision you need to request a Mandatory Reconsideration,
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/benefits-introduction/problems-with-benefits-and-tax-credits/challenging-a-benefit-decision/challenging-a-dwp-benefit-decision-on-or-after-28-october-2013/challenging-a-benefit-or-tax-credit-decision-asking-for-a-reconsideration/
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Laff91
    Options
    Hi @calcotti,
    I currently get both UC and ESA as I’m a single parent. What I’m really trying to ask is, I get my ESA normally every 2 weeks, but now with the change will I continue to still receive ESA every 2 weeks? ESA doesn’t get paid with my UC as they are separate claims, however the letter from the decision maker was from UC so I’m a little confused to will it now be paid monthly? I’m going to give them a call anyway just to be certain.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Hello @Laff91
    It sounds as though you have been moved from the support group to WRAG. This means you'll no longer receive the LCWRA element on UC (currently £341) and unless your ESA claim began before April 2017, you won't receive any additional money for being in LCW now.

Your ESA is currently New Style ESA. You were previously in support group so I assume receiving £113.55 a week, now you have been moved to WRAG/LCW this will go down £74.35. You can also only receive this for 1 year. 

If you feel as though your condition hasn't changed and you should still be awarded Support Group/LCWRA you can appeal the decision.

Laff91 said:
    ESA doesn’t get paid with my UC as they are separate claims
    It would be worth you double checking that your UC statements contain an additional element called 'Limited capability for work and work-related activity'. As you were in the support group on ESA, you should have this on your UC award too, as your ESA is deducted from UC.
    It should look like this on your statement:
    Screenshot of a Universal Credit journal, with the text Limited capability for work and work-related activity. You said your health affects you at work or prevents you from working. £341.92
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Laff91
    Options
    Thank you for your response @Adrian_Scope.

I’ve managed to sort it, what you said is right, I’ve been placed into WRAG but my ESA remains the same, as I was confused because I thought it was regarding my ESA. However it wasn’t, it was my UC.
    So what has happened is my ESA stays the same, I remain in the support group. But I’ve been moved to WRAG through UC. 
    Really confused me as I initially thought it was about my ESA, but after various calls I got it sorted.
    Thanks all for the help, really appreciate it
  • calcotti
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Your group should not be different for ESA and UC. They should apply the WCA decision to both benefits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Laff91
    Options
    @calcotti
    See this is what I was thinking, but after talking with ESA they said nothing has changed and shouldn't change as my 18 month review ain't up until the 24th of June, and I asked if I will be paid as normal and are there any changes in my benefit, he said no I will be paid and payment has been released for tomorrow, and I'll continue to still be in the support group. But then talking with UC, which I rang twice as the first person I spoke to was clueless, they have said I've now been placed in WRAG through UC, but my ESA won't be affected as its a separate claim from UC, and my UC shows deductions for my ESA as it's separate.
    I don't quite understand how UC have placed me in WRAG as I'm still in the support group for ESA, but again its a different benefit so I can only guess each decision is different for both the claims

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm not certain the advice you've been given by ESA and UC telephony is correct I'm afraid @Laff91

While UC and ESA are different benefits, you are what's called a "dual claimant", so the decisions on one impact both.
    As a dual claimant UC are supposed to take the lead on any reassessments and the decision from these carries over to New Style ESA as well. So if someone is in the Support Group on ESA they should be on LCWRA on UC, and if they're awarded LCW on UC, they should be placed in WRAG on ESA.
    There does seem to be some delay in this happening when transitioning a decision from UC to ESA, but it's my understanding that at some point this will be picked up and your ESA adjusted accordingly. 

Did you manage to take a look at your past UC statements to check if you were receiving the LCWRA element previously?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Laff91
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope
    Hmmm I think you could be correct, what you've said makes total sense, and this is also what I thought after the phone calls.
    Yes, looking at my UC it shows this,But this gets deducted because of my ESA claim, also I'm not to sure but I don't think I'm on new style ESA, think mine is income based ESA, whether this makes a difference I don't know, but I think you stand correct in what you say as it was only recent the decision was made.
  • calcotti
    edited February 2021
    Options
    You are not on income based ESA. UC replaces income based ESA and any existing award of income based ESA would have ended when you claimed UC. You may have had an ESA award which was a mix of contribution based and income based in which case the income based bits would have stopped when you claimed UC but the contribution based bits would have continued.

• Laff91
    Options
    @calcotti
    When I first applied for ESA after coming out of work in 2017, I was on income based ESA, this has not changed since 2017 from what I believe and I ain't been informed if so, and I've been receiving £113.55 weekly till this date, I was told "New Style ESA" wasn't in my area and I would remain on the current ESA I am claiming.
    You can see here my deductions, which don't add up to the £341.92 it states on my UC, and this has remained the same since I applied for UC, the only thing I can think of is, they have changed me over to New Style ESA, or as @Adrian_Scope said there is a delay in the change on ESA side.

• calcotti
    Options
    As explained in my previous post the old type of ESA was a benefit that could contain both contribution based and income based amounts. Any income based entitlement ended when you claimed UC but any contribution based entitlement continues. £113.55/week is the contribution based amount for someone in the Support Group.

The deduction from your UC has to be converted to a monthly amount. £113.55 x 52 / 12 = £492.05.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.