ESA SUPPORT GROUP TO UC — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA SUPPORT GROUP TO UC

Black_Dog
Black_Dog Community member Posts: 15 Listener
Hello,

I am currently receiving ESA Support group awarded in October following my telephone assessment. My grown children are about to leave have both got own places so need assistance with housing costs. I am currently going through the application process for UC they have asked about my health and asked if I claimed a benefit (although not which one). Will I be asked to go through the whole assessment for ESA again having very recently been assessed? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Your ESA work status should be carried across to UC. Because you are in the Support Group your UC status should be LCWRA and you will be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of the UC claim. DWP can however reassess at any time.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Black_Dog
    Thank you for a quick reply. So the fact that haven't asked me about my current claim isn't anything to be concerned about? 
  • calcotti
    edited February 2021
    Black_Dog said:
    Thank you for a quick reply. So the fact that haven't asked me about my current claim isn't anything to be concerned about? 
    I thought one of the questions you are asked as part of the UC claim process was 'Were you paid any of the following benefits in the last month?' and one of the benefits listed was ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
    1119082 Posts: 258 Courageous
  • ThankGod
    ThankGod Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    I did this last year.  I was told to advise UC that I have a "confirmed award" for ESA Support Group for XX years from XX date.   The process went very smoothly and they transferred me to LWRCA straight away.
    1119082 Posts: 258 Courageous
  • Black_Dog
    calcotti said:
    Black_Dog said:
    I thought one of the questions you are asked as part of the UC claim process was 'Were you paid any of the following benefits in the last month?' and one of the benefits listed was ESA.
    No, my bad for not taking full notice I think it was in a section about payments/money but I don’t think it was that specific I think it was more “do you receive any of the following benefits” and there was a list but yeh just answer yes or no.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Black_Dog, they should automatically check with ESA whether you were or are still claiming. It can be worthwhile to add a quick note to your journal letting them know you have a determined award on ESA (not only so they can transfer the award across but so they stop asking for fit notes or setting work commitments).
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Black_Dog
    Thank you Adrian, will do.
  • Black_Dog
    I applied and it had a section about how other benefits affects your claim but how im not on any when I am  :#

I have popped a note into my journal and have to hope someone reads it.
  • Black_Dog
    Just to follow on from my claim, I have a call on 23rd Feb for a "Biological" chat is this the norm?
    Looked on the To do list and there are questions about my job search & no reply to my telling them that I was awarded Support group on the 27th November 2020, do they even reply.

My anxiety is through the roof, terrible on the phone and generally feeling out of control with the changes happening for me currently. Sorry guys for going on.
  • calcotti
    That may be a biographical chat to verify your identity if it hasn’t been done some other way.
  • Black_Dog
    calcotti said:
    That may be a biographical chat to verify your identity if it hasn’t been done some other way.
    Sorry your correct it was a biographical chat, what does that mean/consist of please so I could prepare myself. Thank you Calcotti.

• calcotti
    edited February 2021
    I don’t know but if you haven’t been able to verify identity with passport etc I think they simply ask questions based on other information they can access through government departments to see if you can provide answers which will enable them to confirm you are who you say you are. If other forum members have had one they may be able to provide more information.
  • Black_Dog
    I had 2 very anxious calls where basically they treat you like a job seeker. It made me all so low saying 35 hours job searching. I have been in bed with my anxiety everything churning round and round all week worrying about it all. I popped in my journal (well my daughter did) that I have a claim for ESA SG and someone replied saying they have checked and yes they acknowledge that and will be in touch. I’m also so worried about bedroom tax I have a 3 bed home both my children moved out and I’m looking at a shortfall of over £37 a week I’m feeling so overwhelmed by it all ? 
  • calcotti
    You can apply to your local authority for a Discretionary Housing Payment to help with the rent shortfall. If you awarded a DHP it will only be short term. 
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments
  • Black_Dog
    calcotti said:
    You can apply to your local authority for a Discretionary Housing Payment to help with the rent shortfall. If you awarded a DHP it will only be short term. 
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments
    Thank you. Should I start this process now or wait for the award from UC?

I received a letter yesterday saying that my ESA had stopped due to a new claim for UC, does this mean that my award is not going to be carried over? (which was Nov 2020)
  • calcotti
    edited March 2021
    Black_Dog said: I received a letter yesterday saying that my ESA had stopped due to a new claim for UC, does this mean that my award is not going to be carried over? (which was Nov 2020)
    it means that you will no longer be paid ESA because claiming UC ends entitlement to income based ESA. Your Work Capability status should be carried over and the UC entitlement calculated accordingly.
  • Black_Dog
    calcotti said:
    Black_Dog said: I received a letter yesterday saying that my ESA had stopped due to a new claim for UC, does this mean that my award is not going to be carried over? (which was Nov 2020)
    it means that you will no longer be paid ESA because claiming UC ends entitlement to income based ESA. Your Work Capability status should be carried over and the UC entitlement calculated accordingly.
    Calcotti, thank you for all of your informative replies you are massively helping with my anxiety.

• Black_Dog
    ThankGod said:
    I did this last year.  I was told to advise UC that I have a "confirmed award" for ESA Support Group for XX years from XX date.   The process went very smoothly and they transferred me to LWRCA straight away.
    Thank you Thank God, I have done exactly this. Fingers & Toes crossed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.