state pension — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

state pension

davet
davet Community member Posts: 77 Courageous
Hi all
I am trying to get info about how the state pension affects benefits and as usual the relevant departments are of no usein providing thisif and when they respond

I currently receive income related ESA, housing allowance, and PIP.

In June of this year I qualify for my state pension, I am fully aware that at this time my ESA will stop,but I am not sure about my housing allowance or PIP, and do I need to notify anyone?
Can anyone please advise
Many thanks in anticipation

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    You will need to put in a claim for your SRP now, you ill continue to get PIP as long as you qualify for it, as for housing benefit you will need to update the local council (if that's who pay it) when you start to receive your SRP. Some advice in the link

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/pensions/types-of-pension/state-pension/
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    You can also ask to be assessed for Pension Credit when you apply for your State Pension. Do you qualify for an SDP in your ESA, if so the Pension Credit calculation will also include an SDP.

Note - things are different if you have a partner who is younger than you.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • davet
    many thanks woobine, I have indeed today received my 'invitation' to apply for my SRP
  • davet
    many thanks calcotti as I understood it I couldnt apply for pension credit until I actually received mystate pension,I am not sure what an SDP in my ESA actually is! although my ESA does include a limited capability for work addition as I am in the support group, along with extra because of the disability income guarantee
  • calcotti
    edited February 2021
    davet said:
    many thanks calcotti as I understood it I couldnt apply for pension credit until I actually received mystate pension,I am not sure what an SDP in my ESA actually is! although my ESA does include a limited capability for work addition as I am in the support group, along with extra because of the disability income guarantee
    I thought you could ask to be assessed for Pension Credit at the same time as applying for your State Pension. 
    See Pension Credit: How to claim - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) "You can start your application up to 4 months before you reach State Pension age"

The Severe Disability Premium is extra money you can get in your ESA and Pension Credit if you meet all of the following conditions:
    • you get the daily living component of PIP
    • you live alone (or any other adult family members also get a disability benefit)
    • non one claims Carers Allowance or the carer element of universal Credit for looking after you
    If you do meet all of these conditions you can contact ESA to get it added and it can be backdated.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    If no one claims carers allowance for looking after you and you live alone you can claim Severe Disability Premium, how ever if someone lives with you unless they also get PIP you can't get SDP
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• davet
    thank you again calcotti and woodbine, I certainly meet the criteria of daily living component, living alone and noone claiming carers allowance and cannot see anything on my recent'how my ESA has been worked out' calculations quoting severe disability premium and to my knowledge I have not been in receipt of this benefit for the last 10 years, something I obviously need to look into 
  • calcotti
    edited February 2021
    davet said:
    thank you again calcotti and woodbine, I certainly meet the criteria of daily living component, living alone and noone claiming carers allowance and cannot see anything on my recent'how my ESA has been worked out' calculations quoting severe disability premium and to my knowledge I have not been in receipt of this benefit for the last 10 years, something I obviously need to look into 
    You only get the SDP if you ask for it. All you need to do is ring ESA to ask about it. It's worth £66.95/week at current rates so increases ESA from £130.65/week to £197.60/week and, as per my earlier post, can be backdated provided ESA are satisfied you met the conditions.

When it comes to claiming Pension Credit this will (with the SDP included) to your weekly income up to £240.70/week if it will otherwise be less than this (again that is the current rate - will be slightly higher from April).

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.