So it turns out DWP Debt Management DOESN'T necessarily seize your backdated PIP pay.... — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

So it turns out DWP Debt Management DOESN'T necessarily seize your backdated PIP pay....

ThankGod
ThankGod Community member Posts: 26 Connected

I posted a question yesterday asking whether DWP will use my backdated pay on my new PIP Award to clear an alleged Income Support overpayment from the 1990s.  I’ve just been told by PIP today that they’ve issued my arrears straight to my bank account already and it’ll be there by Friday.

Interesting that they didn’t seize this payment isn’t it?!

Comments

• thatsmyname
    thatsmyname Community member Posts: 52 Connected
    ThankGod i had the same happen.i allegedly owe 10,000 pounds tax credit overpayments from ten years ago! I know that i couldnt possibly owe that but cant prove it so they have been taking 77 oound a month of uc.i got 2 backdated pip payments totalling over a 1000 each in my bank last year 
  • ThankGod
    ThankGod i had the same happen.i allegedly owe 10,000 pounds tax credit overpayments from ten years ago! I know that i couldnt possibly owe that but cant prove it so they have been taking 77 oound a month of uc.i got 2 backdated pip payments totalling over a 1000 each in my bank last year 
    Sorry to hear that they are hounding you for money you don't even owe.  But I'm very pleased to hear that you still got your backdated PIP through just fine!!!! Nice one
  • thatsmyname
    ThankGod im hoping that the 3000 pound packdated lcwra they hopefully owe me goes same way! And thankyou.
  • ThankGod
    @thatsmyname
    What was your PIP assessment experience like by the way? 
    DWP only received the assessment report last Wednesday and they'd already made their decision and awarded me PIP as of yesterday.  That's very quick!
  • thatsmyname
    ThankGod my experience was just as straight forward really.i was awarded daily living standard rate.the money went in really quick it was in before i got my letter! I had to do mandatory reconsideration over the phone for mobility and i was then awarded that too so got that backdated too.i have just lodged appeal as i should have scored more points for enhanced so will see how it goes i guess 
  • ThankGod
    So, what I said then :)

Yes.  And I am very relieved.  But I wonder why *some* people actually DO seem to get their PIP arrears taken off them?
  • thatsmyname
    I suppose it could depend on if the claimant has history of not repaying maybe? Or if they dont generally claim for long meaning they cant recover it by taking deductions.but they are just guesses on my part.
  • thatsmyname
    Indeed rules are made up to suit them.i desperately hope i get my lcwra backdate though.i need to move home for the sake of my sanity!
  • ThankGod
    I hope you get your backdated LCWRA @thatsmyname
    I'm gonna go for SDP now.  My PIP award is backdated to July 2020, so technically I was on PIP back when I was on ESA which means they owe me SDP for that period.  I then had to transition from ESA to UC LCWRA due to a change of circumstances.  This means I should be getting the transitional top-up payment added to my UC. 

• thatsmyname
    ThankGod i hope you get what you are owed also.... fingers crossed we both get what we are owed.better in our pockets than theirs! 
  • thatsmyname
    ThankGod i had a note on my journal today saying im owed £3,495 but as i apparently owe 10,000 pounds tax credit overpayments from ten years ago its gone to debt management team for them to make a decision on wether it will be deducted from the debt or paid to me...i am currently already making the monthly repayments on this.i rung them obviously in a right state...and explained that basically i cant move to a safer home without the money! A note has been put on system stating this and that i was highly distressed.the lady on phone was lovely and she agreed they may be able to give me it ive to ring next week to speak to a decision maker so i hope to God they decide in my favour.ive seen the most perfect house in the perfect place...i just want a garden with a fence around so i feel more protected and private.i am not getting it here and this street is dangerous.i fear for my life daily i hate it here.
  • lisalocket43
    lisalocket43 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Hi I’m new here, I’m waiting for my MR decision on pip, I scored 6 points dl and 4 mobility but because I work, my mental health part they are saying that basically if I can work a standard till in a postsge stamped sized papershop couple hrs a week, I’m ok, I keep my job because it really helps to push me to interact more, yes it does challenge my anxiety very much, I wonder if anyone knows what are my chances of being awarded? I’m so low and worried sick over things I feel I’m being discriminated for trying to work. Tia xx
  • ThankGod
    Hi I’m new here, I’m waiting for my MR decision on pip, I scored 6 points dl and 4 mobility but because I work, my mental health part they are saying that basically if I can work a standard till in a postsge stamped sized papershop couple hrs a week, I’m ok, I keep my job because it really helps to push me to interact more, yes it does challenge my anxiety very much, I wonder if anyone knows what are my chances of being awarded? I’m so low and worried sick over things I feel I’m being discriminated for trying to work. Tia xx
    I'm thinking it would make more sense to start your own thread about this as it's not connected to the question I have raised in this post at all.
  • ThankGod
    ThankGod i had a note on my journal today saying im owed £3,495 but as i apparently owe 10,000 pounds tax credit overpayments from ten years ago its gone to debt management team for them to make a decision on wether it will be deducted from the debt or paid to me...i am currently already making the monthly repayments on this.i rung them obviously in a right state...and explained that basically i cant move to a safer home without the money! A note has been put on system stating this and that i was highly distressed.the lady on phone was lovely and she agreed they may be able to give me it ive to ring next week to speak to a decision maker so i hope to God they decide in my favour.ive seen the most perfect house in the perfect place...i just want a garden with a fence around so i feel more protected and private.i am not getting it here and this street is dangerous.i fear for my life daily i hate it here.
    I'm sorry to hear that and it is so weird considering that they let you receive your other backdated pay just fine!  I wonder why they let you have the PIP backdated payment but are playing games when it comes to what you're owed for ESA?
  • thatsmyname
    ThankGod the lady at dwp debt management said this is because pip isnt treat the same as universal credit 
  • thatsmyname
    lisalocket43 my mother works reduced hours in an eldery care home.she has limited mobility and suffers with multiple muscular skeletal issues and severe depression but she was awarded pip daily living and also pip mobility.this was after a mandatory reconsideration.she does reduced hours and amended duties but shes still doing lots of physical work there.shes stubborn and wont leave her job 
  • ThankGod
    ThankGod the lady at dwp debt management said this is because pip isnt treat the same as universal credit 
    Oh I see!  So they make an exception for PIP because it's a disability benefit?
    But when you think about it the LCWRA is also like a disability benefit in that it is only awarded to people deemed very seriously unwell 
  • thatsmyname
    edited February 2021
    ThankGod i did think that myself! Lcwra is awarded for same reasons so dont know why its treat differently 
  • lisalocket43
    lisalocket43 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    thatsmyname Thankyou for your reply it does make me more optimistic I feel while we can work a little bit can help with the depression, I was wondering did your mum achieve any points previous to the MR? Tia xx
  • ThankGod
    ThankGod i did think that myself! Lcwra is awarded for same reasons so dont know why its treat differently 
    Hopefully they will see reason and let you have your LCWRA backpayment

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.