Adult Social Care issues — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Adult Social Care issues

Hi

I am after some help with an issue with a social care assessment through my local council, but I am struggling to find the correct section of the forum to put it in. Is this the best one?

Thanks 
James 

Comments

• Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    I suppose it depends on what the issue is?  Maybe if you felt comfortable explaining a little more we could offer some help?
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Im going through the same situation with my mum right now. Although I think we have finally come up with a plan of action with them we all agree upon. Is there a particular issue? 
  • Jamesd49
    Jamesd49 Posts: 132 Connected
    Thanks. 

Well the issue is around the assessment and my local council providing the support agreed. 

I had the outcome to my autism assessment in May 2019, started my assessment with the local council June/July 2019, completed the assessment September 2019, I was awarded funding for an Autism App and a social worker for 8 hours a week, which I was happy with. 

I started working with social worker at the council to organise the social worker and the app, it was going ok, then in November 2019 I received a letter from my social worker, stating my account has been closed due to me refusing support. 

I did notice two weeks before the letter that my social worker at the council wasn't acting the same with me, she missed a few meetings, didn't call me and if I am honest the letter wasn't written in the same way she would, I have a feeling it was done by her manager then she had to sign it. Her manager, the manager for adult social care at the council, didn't like me and she told me that on the phone one day that she disliked me. 

The letter also stated I was entitled to the support if I wanted and to email this person and it would be reopened. Which I did about 10 mins after I got the letter. 

I checked through all my emails and text messages with the social worker at the council and I never once refused support, I asked the council for evidence of me refusing support. They never responded to that request as there is none. 

So fast forward to February 2020, I am still waiting for the account to be opened and access to the support. The council just ignore my emails and calls, I have also reached out to all my local councillors and MP's and they don't reply. 

I have spoke to a few disability lawyers, but havent found anybody who can help take this forward. 

Also in January 2020 I was diagnosed with IBS which means I am entitled to another assessment, the council are refusing to assess me, no reason given why. 

I recently found out that a local advocacy service has a contract with the council to support people with the assessment, support and reviews, it's not self referral, only referral by the council, I asked the council to refer me, that got rejected, no reason given. 

It just feels like whatever I ask the council they are ignoring me, hoping the issue and me will go away, rather than admitting fault and giving me the support I need and are entitled to. 

After 15 months I just feel stuck, I have done some research and not really found out the next steps, some say the ombudsman or court, but I am not sure on either of them. 

Thanks 
  • Jamesd49
    @Adrian_Scope is there not a section on the forum for this sort of issue? There seems to be groups for every other issue, other than social care issues and assessment 
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Your first port of call would be to find out the official complaints procedure from your local authority website and write a formal complaint, there is information here on what to do and how - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/health/nhs-and-social-care-complaints/complaining-about-social-care-services/where-to-start-if-you-have-a-problem-with-adult-social-care/

If you do not get a satisfactory response you escalate the compliant through all the stages in the council and then to the ombudsman etc until you get the response and help you deserve.

• Jamesd49
    Thanks @Jean Eveleigh

The council have said previously they will refuse to accept any complaints about adult social care issues from me. 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Jamesd49

Hope you're doing okay, sorry to hear of the situation you're in. Seems as though you've been let down by your council there.

Regarding the category your discussion is in on the community, where you put it is absolutely fine. If the moderation team ever feel as though your topic would be best suited somewhere else on the community we will manually move it for you, so there's no need to worry :) 

Have you tried reporting how you've been treated to your local MP?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MarkM88
    Jamesd49 said:
    Thanks @Jean Eveleigh

The council have said previously they will refuse to accept any complaints about adult social care issues from me. 

I think what you need to do is make the official complaint, they can’t stop you doing that, follow the local authorities procedure, even if you get no response, keep following, and then if you have to take it to the ombudsman and give them copies of all your complaints and state you got no response back. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited February 2021
    I went through something similar towards the end of last year and it's still ongoing now, but only because the flippin' socials won't talk to me.

Basically, I can't talk to the Manager of the morning care company, because she doesn't understand me on the phone because I have a distinctive local accent.. I wouldn't mind but in October 1999 (Removed by moderator, inappropriate comment), and does not respond to emails or phone messages, like I ring up every week to get the following week's rota, as I like to know who's coming and what time, do they ever do it? Nope, unless I chase it up! Like this week I rang up on Sunday to get the rota for the week, OK Mum cancelled all week due to the snow but that's beside the point and they know it! They're contractually obliged from the Council to send the weekly rota, but don't unless I chase it up several times!

Worst thing is I've brought this up with the social more than once and I know for a fact they won't do anything, because they're too tight to pay for a better company because the existing company are cheap as chips but you know what they say, you pay peanuts you get Monkeys!

• MarkM88
    I went through something similar towards the end of last year and it's still ongoing now, but only because the flippin' socials won't talk to me.

Basically, I can't talk to the Manager of the morning care company, because she doesn't understand me on the phone because I have a distinctive local accent.. I wouldn't mind but in October 1999 (Removed by moderator, inappropriate comment), and does not respond to emails or phone messages, like I ring up every week to get the following week's rota, as I like to know who's coming and what time, do they ever do it? Nope, unless I chase it up! Like this week I rang up on Sunday to get the rota for the week, OK Mum cancelled all week due to the snow but that's beside the point and they know it! They're contractually obliged from the Council to send the weekly rota, but don't unless I chase it up several times!

Worst thing is I've brought this up with the social more than once and I know for a fact they won't do anything, because they're too tight to pay for a better company because the existing company are cheap as chips but you know what they say, you pay peanuts you get Monkeys!

As anyone, your entitled to complain, you’ll need to follow the local authorities complaints procedure. 
  • Jamesd49
    @Ross_Scope

Thanks for your reply, 

Can a category be made for adult social care issues? As I spent a good 15 mins browsing and I almost didn't post my question, so maybe other people are put off posting, as there seems to be sections for everything else.

Yes I have tried both my local MP's

I live in a big town, so we have have two MP's, one of the MP's is also the current Minister of State for Disabled People, Work and Health. While I realise not Adult Social Care issues directly, you thought he would have at least tried to help, but nope. 

I have emailed him before about the lack of funding and post autism support in my town, issues with the DWP and UC and how they treat disabled people and the lack of autism awareness and training within the DWP and lets say I would have been better off spending my time just talking to a brick wall then speaking to him and his office. 

So regarding both the MP's, I got the automatic response that they would follow up with the local council, and when I contacted them to ask if they had bothered and if there was any response, I got ignored. 
  • Jamesd49
    MarkN88 said:
    Jamesd49 said:
    Thanks @Jean Eveleigh

I think what you need to do is make the official complaint, they can’t stop you doing that, follow the local authorities procedure, even if you get no response, keep following, and then if you have to take it to the ombudsman and give them copies of all your complaints and state you got no response back. 
    Thanks, I think I will try that, I think I will look at taking them to court to be honest. 
  • MarkM88
    Jamesd49 said:
    MarkN88 said:
    Jamesd49 said:
    Thanks @Jean Eveleigh

Thanks, I think I will try that, I think I will look at taking them to court to be honest. 
    Obviously I’m not legal expert, but you’ll find a lot of solicitors will give a free 30minute consultation to offer advice. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Jamesd49 you need to put a complaint into the commissioner of England adult social services  

You need to put in all the details you want to complain about  either in an email or a letter 

The commissioner  of adult  social services England will investigate  your complaints and may also phone you if you include  your phone number 

• Jean Eveleigh
    Jamesd49 said:
    Thanks @Jean Eveleigh

The problem is if you escalate the complaint to the CQC or the Ombudsman they will refuse to do anything unless you have been through the councils own complaints process first so even though you know the council will not respond you still have to write to them so you can prove when you escalate that you have tried and they have failed to respond.

It's like building a jigsaw, bridge, engine etc all the pieces have to be in the right place or the next one won't fit so even if you now that someone will refuse to do something you still have to go through the motions and do that step.
  • Jamesd49
    @Jamesd49 you need to put a complaint into the commissioner of England adult social services  

You need to put in all the details you want to complain about  either in an email or a letter 

The commissioner  of adult  social services England will investigate  your complaints and may also phone you if you include  your phone number 

I am struggling to find any info on the commissioner of England adult social services, would it be the ombudsman? 
  • Jean Eveleigh

What are your options to make a complaint?

Depending on what you want to achieve, you may have different options to make a complaint:

• first speak to the person providing the care, or their manager. You have to do this in writing so you can prove it was done.
    • use the local authority complaints procedure or the complaints procedure of the care provider if this isn’t the local authority. You have to do this in writing so you can prove it was done.
    • report your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman - https://www.lgo.org.uk/ 
    • take legal action, for example, for personal injury, negligence, discrimination or for breach of your human rights
    • report concerns to a regulatory body
    • report concerns to other bodies such as the Care Quality Commission or your local Healthwatch
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Jean Eveleigh  the regulating body is the commissioner  of England adult social services thats the main one 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Jamesd49 I typed in commissioner of adult  services England and it came up its in the same place as the children's  commisioner 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Jamesd49 you have ti go through all the avenues you would have to put a written complaint into the local council  then the ombudsman  for adult social services  then  the commissioner  for England adult services  then to the  human rights commissioner 

You  can also get help to help you  sort it out  with disabilty rights 

Hope you get it sorted 

Brightness