PIP QUERY — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP QUERY

Options
Carlbenn_88
Carlbenn_88 Community member Posts: 40 Listener
Hi everyone, my award review forms are with a case manager does it normally take much longer? they are doing a paper based assessment because I told them I will self harm if I have a phone assessment.

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    There is no specific time scales for decision, anywhere up to 8 weeks. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

If your forms and evidence are with a decision maker it would suggest a paper based assessment 

If you have not been contacted for an assessment 

However it will friend if there is enough info for them to make a paper based 

How do you know they are with case manager ? 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Carlbenn_88 have they told you they are doing a paper assessment or are you making an assiumption based on your request?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Carlbenn_88
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @woodbine because I've told them I would [removed by moderator - description of self harm method] if they put me through it. and someone called me from PIP to say it's getting done by paper based ss they have enough evidence. plus they wouldn't chance it as I have evidence of self harming. 
  • Carlbenn_88
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @janer1967 they are doing a paper based assessment. as I told them on the phone I will [removed by moderator - description of self harm method] if I have a telephone assessment. So they have obviously taken that very serious and wouldn't allow it to go a head as they have a duty of care and would take that risk. 
  • janer1967
    Options
    That's good then all you can do is wait now for the decision  

Fingers crossed let us know how you get on 

My last review was paper based but the DM did call me and asked a few questions before making the decision 
  • Carlbenn_88
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @janer1967 just glad there doing a paper based assessment. thought they would say if you [removed by moderator - description of self harm method] that's down to you but they have taken it that serious that they have decided to do a paper based. Does that surprise you hun ?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Carlbenn_88! Just to make you aware, I edited some of your comments on this post which outlined a specific self harm method. This is for the safety of both you and our other members.

I know that Ross has signposted you to these before, but I just wanted to remind you of the following resources:
    • Mind: how can I help myself now? 
    • Samaritans: call 116 123, or email jo@samaritans.org (you don't have to be suicidal to get in touch with them)
    • SHOUT: text SHOUT to 85258 if you prefer to speak over text
    • Calm Harm app: an app designed to help you resist or manage the urge to self-harm
    I've also sent you another check-in email, so please do take a look and let us know if there's anything more we can do to help :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    Options
    No it doesnt surprise me 

I didnt ask for paper based but due to my form being detailed and backed up with small amount of evidence they didnt need anything else 

But mine is physical disability I am an amputee and vision impaired so they know there will be no change 

Good luck anyway 
  • Carlbenn_88
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @Username_removed thank you for a reply. they have confirmed to me that they are doing a paper based assessment. probably with all the new evidence I have provided. I did tell them though if I get a phone assessment I will (Removed by moderator, graphic description) . as I am getting help with my self harming! do you think that was a big factor in them making that decision for a paper based? or would that have no bearing on it. If you can reply that would be marvelous!
  • Carlbenn_88
    Options
  • woodbine
    Options
    Totally agree, whilst i think carefully before saying this, it smacks a little of "if you do this i'll do that" @Carlbenn_88 what are you going to do if the paper based assessment is not to your liking? will you drop your case and walk away? or would you go all the way from MR (which could involve a conversation) to Appeal which will involve a conversation?

• Carlbenn_88
    Options
    @woodbine i would go the whole way as I am fully entitled to what I believe I am getting possibly more. by all means they can do a phone assessment but it's with my brother as he's my appointee. so makes no difference to me tbh. I would never give up! hopefully all the evidence is enough for them to make a decision.
  • woodbine
    Options
    So it's perfectly ok for them to do a "phone assessment"? that's the direct opposite of what you started out saying is it not?

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think what @Carlbenn_88 is saying is that he would strongly prefer a paper based assessment, the reasons for which have been detailed previously, however if a phone assessment was the only option then his appointed person would assist with that.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Carlbenn_88
    Options
    @Ross_Scope thanks for clearing that up. that's correct! my appointee is more than happy to speak on my behalf. will keep you all posted when I get my letter. 
  • Carlbenn_88
    Options
    @Username_removed he does the phone calls for me. but if they need to ask me anything I can talk. anyway I have received my decision today and Im bloody made up!!!!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.