I am POA for a disabled friend — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am POA for a disabled friend

Options
Nashville
Nashville Community member Posts: 18 Connected
I am POA for a disabled friend.  The PIP forms were sent in August 2020 and 3 phone calls have all elicited the fact the application is with the manager for action.  It has been with the manager for action since November.  My question is as to how to make any action happen.  It took from May to August to be sent the paper application forms as my friend’s speech is compromised and he thus could not make a telephone application and I could not be in his company to make a telephone application on his behalf due to Covid restrictions. So we are now 10 months in.  How can I make someone move the case along?  I have written twice and phoned 3 times.   No written replies.  My friends MP is Boris Johnson - wrote to him and no reply.  Advice sought as we want to buy a mpv adapted for a wheelchair but need a decision on pip as to whether we get it via  a mobility allowance.  Another interesting thing - my friend has had the Continuing Care checklist done and been scheduled for a full assessment though this too has been delayed 3 months.  Thus, in the system there are endless reports concerning his abilities and disabilities,  why is it not joined up? It seems I have been proving his disabilities over and over again yet since his stroke last February he has received no actual money at all.  Is there a way to get his case to the top of the pile?  If he is rejected for PIP so be it and I will know that the mpv will have to be bought from savings. I suspect a virtual assessment cannot happen as my friend’s speech and reading have been compromised significantly and he won’t be able to contribute - this is the case with the Continuing Care Assessment too.  Any thoughts anyone?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Things are anything but normal but seems a long wait, have you considered contacting your local MP they can often be quite helpful in moving things forward.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Nashville
    Nashville Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    Yes woodbine - very troubled times but hooray - this morning the award letter arrived.  12 points and full amount.  Now I need to find out about adapted vehicles and PIP.  All advice welcome.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

That's good news 

For the car look up on google for motability dealers in your area 

You can also look at the cars available on the scheme and the upfront cost for each type this may help to select cars your friend I'd intrtedted in then you can contact that make of car dealership.

However I dont know if they will be operating currently 

Good luck 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.