ESA stopped without any notice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA stopped without any notice

Hi, i have recently had a pip form and telephone assessment which i passed and was awarded the same rate as i was previously on, i also claim ESA, i have checked my bank account and i havent recieved my ESA payment. i am extremely anxious about this. Could my PIP outcome effect my ESA? how can the DWP do this to people, especially with the current situation we are all in.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP and ESA are two different benefits, are you in the support group for ESA? the only thing you can do is phone them today and see what the problem is.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• dwpmakemeanxious
    dwpmakemeanxious Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    thank you Woodbine and Mikehughescq for your replies, i rang them 8am today and was put through to a nice lady who explained to me it was a mistake on there end and a payment was made a few hours later on. I still think its very irresponsible for these type of things to happen considering the impact it has on peoples health. thank you again for your replies, panic over. until next time that is..
  • dwpmakemeanxious
    also, yes im in the support group Woodbine, dreading the review coming up soon.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    thank you Woodbine and Mikehughescq for your replies, i rang them 8am today and was put through to a nice lady who explained to me it was a mistake on there end and a payment was made a few hours later on. I still think its very irresponsible for these type of things to happen considering the impact it has on peoples health. thank you again for your replies, panic over. until next time that is..
    It is a shame that these sorts of things happen and cause undue stress to people at what is already a really tough time, I suppose mistakes do happen though. Either way, I'm glad the situation has been resolved.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • dwpmakemeanxious
    It really is a shame, it happens over and over again in my experience. This site has provided me abit of relief in a very stressful situation and for that i am grateful <3
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Meh, the DWP is run by evil suited jobsworths who have no clue what they're doing more than half the time IMO.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Meh, the DWP is run by evil suited jobsworths who have no clue what they're doing more than half the time IMO.

I'm sorry to read that's your impression of them, they must have let you down in the past, I imagine others will have differing experiences though. 

Sure, they can cause inconvenience, but I imagine for every person who is upset with them, there's another who is totally satisfied with their DWP interactions. 

That doesn't mean to say that any inconvenience or mistake is acceptable, it happens far more than it should, but I don't think we should be calling them evil on that basis.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger

In my experience they are anything but, they are badly paid and often don't get the training they need although that would take years with the myriad of rules etc.
    Personally I have always been treated with respect and fairly, but then I have always treated them properly which i'm sure helps. If you have an attitude with people then you will get treated in the same way, i'm sure you know what I mean?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Many people working at DWP may also be benefits claimants themselves.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • dynasty30
    dynasty30 Community member Posts: 88 Courageous
    That happened to me my esa was due and had my phone assessment five days before (pip) when I phoned they had told me I had been awarded pip all came though that very day.
    my stress was high as I thought I’ve not been awarded and they’ve stopped my money was quite the opposite 
  • dwpmakemeanxious
    As much stress as it is dealing with the DWP and some of the unfortunate people that work there, without there support over the last few years i dont know where id be, but the anxiety that is caused directly by them is like a trap, i have mixed feelings on the DWP. If a doctors note was all tht was needed things would be alot better, they seem to want multiple forms of evidence now which makes the hole thing extremely hard to deal with
  • dynasty30
    dynasty30 Community member Posts: 88 Courageous
    I know I hear you on that definitely,yes you would think medical evidence would suffice instead you need to prove numerous times that you are entitled,it’s a sad state of affairs 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    It’s a shame they just stop people’s Monday with out letting them know I don’t recieve esa . Does pip ever do that stop peoples money with out telling them ? 
  • DODO
    DODO Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi everyone, my ESA stopped just before Christmas!  I  was in the support group, I have mental health problems and I don't know what to do. Any advice please? Many thanks 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    DODO said:
    Hi everyone, my ESA stopped just before Christmas!  I  was in the support group, I have mental health problems and I don't know what to do. Any advice please? Many thanks 
    Hi,
    Do you know why your ESA stopped? If you don’t then you will need to ring them when they open on Tuesday morning. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DODO
    Hi Poppy,  I may be due for a assessment  but they haven't sent me The pink and white  Questionnaire form yet!
  • poppy123456
    DODO said:
    Hi Poppy,  I may be due for a assessment  but they haven't sent me The pink and white  Questionnaire form yet!

Support Group is an ongoing award until a new decision says otherwise. There must be a reason why your ESA has stopped so you need to ring them Tuesday morning when they open.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • DODO
    Thank you  for your help poppy, Can you tell me  the phone number please  I cant find any letters with it on at the moment! 
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2022
    DODO said:
    Thank you  for your help poppy, Can you tell me  the phone number please  I cant find any letters with it on at the moment! 

It will depend which ESA you're claiming because there's 2 different numbers. If you're claiming New style ESA the number is... 0800 328 5644
    If you're claiming the old Income Related/Contributions based ESA the number is. 0800 169 0310

• DODO
    Many Thanks  Poppy, Wishing you and yours A Very Happy New year. 🎉🎊🍾🥂

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.