If I add SDP to my claim will it affect my ESA while they sort it out? Will this trigger move to UC? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If I add SDP to my claim will it affect my ESA while they sort it out? Will this trigger move to UC?

Bowie31
Bowie31 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello, 

I'm in the esa support group and I currently get the enhanced premium added to my claim. 
However, citizens advice believe I should be entitled to the severe disability premium as I live alone and my mother has stopped claiming carers allowance for me and is   instead claiming carers credit which contributes towards her NI.

Are citizens advice correct. If I where to try and add SDP to my claim would it affect my esa while they sorted it out? Will this trigger a move to UC? I don't want to rock the boat and create a problem for myself. 

They were informed when my mother moved out and when she stopped her CA. Although my condition or needs haven't changed. She felt she was better off getting a contribution to her pension instead. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

It will have been up to you to claim it they wouldn't just have added it on automatically 

Do you get PIP as you need to get daily living to get the sdp 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Asking about the SDP will not do anything to prompt a move to UC.

Presumably your mother has said she no longer provides 35 hours of care which is why she no longer wants CA but does still provide 20 hours of care which allows her to claim carer credits.

You should be able to get SDP backdated to when mum stopped getting CA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Bowie31
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there 

It will have been up to you to claim it they wouldn't just have added it on automatically 

Do you get PIP as you need to get daily living to get the sdp 
    I am currently still on DLA and I get middle for daily living. 
  • Bowie31
    calcotti said:
    Asking about the SDP will not do anything to prompt a move to UC.

Presumably your mother has said she no longer provides 35 hours of care which is why she no longer wants CA but does still provide 20 hours of care which allows her to claim carer credits.

You should be able to get SDP backdated to when mum stopped getting CA.
    She still provides the same level of care, but she wanted to switch to carers credits so she could cover the gaps in her pension. It was better for her situation but nothing changed for me.
  • calcotti
    Bowie31 said: She still provides the same level of care, but she wanted to switch to carers credits so she could cover the gaps in her pension. It was better for her situation but nothing changed for me.
    The Carer’s Allowance was giving her Class 1 NI credits anyway so switching to credits only makes no difference to her situation in respect pension.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    Bowie31 said: I am currently still on DLA and I get middle for daily living. 
    That would entitle you to SDP.
  • Bowie31
    Thank you for your advice calcotti, in that case, I have no idea why she switched. How long does it usually take to sort out the SDP? Will they suspend my esa in the meantime? If it gets backdated does it count as savings? 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    It doesn't usually take too long to put SDP into payment, however i'm not sure why she would want to stop claiming CA if she still provides the same level of care she is basically doing herself out of £67 per week. However you yourself will be better off.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.