If my husband goes for ESA while waiting for PIP decision can I claim CA or would it affect his ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If my husband goes for ESA while waiting for PIP decision can I claim CA or would it affect his ESA?

karen1812
karen1812 Community member Posts: 60 Connected
Hi all after some advice about benifits. My husband is due home about the 8th March, I have been told by the medical team at the rehabilitation centre that he can't be left on his own due to him having blance issues and he has impaired vision in 1 eye he can only walk with a frame at a very slow pace this is because he has had a bad bleed on the brain. I have decided to go down to 2 days a week at work. Brain at present get SSP but not sure for how long as if they no he wont be returning . We will of course be going for pip from what the OT said today hexwont have any trouble getting that, at present he can't be left unattended can't be aloud to cook a hot meal or even make a hot drink. An6 my question is if brian goes for ESA while waiting for the pip decision can I claim carers allowance or would it affect his ESA benefit, I am aware that pip won't be effected, I 2ill be earning just under the £128 . Also should I make the claim for pip as soon as he comes out of hospital, he has been in hospital for 14 weeks. Any advice would be much appreciated as me nor my husband no anything about the benifits system 
Thanks 
Karen

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    If entitled he should claim new style ESA. Entitlement will depend on his NI record for the tax years 2018-19 and 2019-20.  However ESA cannot be claimed while he is still receiving SSP from an employer. SSP is payable for 28 weeks. His employer should issue him a form SSP1 confirming the end date. Once he has that form he can make the claim but payment will only be due from the day after SSP ends. He will need a Fit Note to support the ESA claim.

You cannot get Carers Allowance until he is awarded PIP. If you later get CA it makes no difference to his ESA.

For PIP you can start the claim now. You don't have to wait for him to come out of hospital. You will need to let them know when he is discharged and if it's awarded it will be backdated to the day of discharge.

You could also use a benefits calculator to see if you may be entitled to any Universal Credit (which is means tested). https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators. You can't claim if you have capital/savings over £16,000.
    If you will be claiming UC you should tell them you are a carer and, if PIP is awarded, you can get get the carer element in UC without claiming Carer's Allowance. The carer element of UC is not subject to the £128 earnings limit that applies to carer's Allowance.

If claiming both ESA and UC the ESA will be deducted from the UC (as will the CA if you do claim it).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • karen1812
    Hi all thanks for all of your replies I will on my next update from the rehabilitation centre ask about helping me out to see what benifits we are entitled to honestly its so confusing as me nor my husband have had much dealings with DWP brian was made redundant in August 2018 had benifits for a few months then had ESA for just under 12 months as he had 2 operations on his hands he then started work August last year ul until he had his SAH so not sure if he will get ESA based on NI.

• calcotti
    edited February 2021
    Check whether, as a couple, you will be entitled to UC. He can declare a health condition and will have a Work Capability Assessment similar to a ESA and may then be entitled to extra money from the fourth month.
    The benefit calculators are very useful if you can manage to use them.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @karen1812 :) I'm sorry to hear of your husband's ill health. Have you been coping okay? I know that the benefit system can be difficult to navigate, so it's understandable that you'd be feeling stressed. 

I hope that the above advice has been helpful, and please do let us know if you have any further questions. I've changed the title of your post so that other members will be able to find it more easily. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • karen1812
    Hi mikehughescq brian had a SAH 2nd December 2 weeks in ICU then transferred to a ward his condition i think started once he started to come out of sedation spent 2/3 weeks on the ward then moved to rehabilitation centre which when he is discharged would have been 8 weeks is it to early to apply for PIP if so how long should I wait I have been told by the rehabilitation centre than brian cannot be left unattended because of his balance problems and impaired vision 
    Regards 
    Karen
  • calcotti
    Can only claim PIP at this point if the needs have been there for 3 months and will likely be there 9 months hence. 
    Mike, thanks for putting that in. When I posted my previous comment I think I mixed this discussion up with one I was commenting on elsewhere where someone had been in hospital for 14 weeks.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.