Will CA on UC be backdated too, after successful DLA appeal for daughter? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will CA on UC be backdated too, after successful DLA appeal for daughter?

yayalabell
yayalabell Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited February 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
My daughter was awarded middle rate dla in 2018, I started the appeal in 2019 and was awarded high rate in 2021. I am also on universal credit. Does this mean that the carers element on universal credit would be backdated too? I've searched the Internet but can't find much information on this matter.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome glad you have been given some advice and hope this answers your query 

Just wanted to welcome you to the community 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @yayalabell :) Just to let you know, I've renamed your post and moved it into our UC category, so that other members will be able to find it more easily. 

I hope that the above advice has been helpful? Please let us know if you have any further questions. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    If she was getting the mid rate care component surely you were already entitled to the carer element.
    Are you actually asking about the severely disabled child element?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • yayalabell
    calcotti said:
    If she was getting the mid rate care component surely you were already entitled to the carer element.
    Yes sorry I wasn't clear I meant the higher rate of the carers element 
  • yayalabell
    Welcome to the community @yayalabell :) Just to let you know, I've renamed your post and moved it into our UC category, so that other members will be able to find it more easily. 

I hope that the above advice has been helpful? Please let us know if you have any further questions. 
    Thank you ?
  • yayalabell
    You need to ask for it to be added and then ask for a review of every single decision i.e. each monthly one so that it’s included. They will undoubtedly refuse so then you’re into a further challenge. Don’t be put off by that.
    Ah ok thank you, I've left a message in my journal 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    calcotti said:
    Yes sorry I wasn't clear I meant the higher rate of the carers element 
    The Carer Element should already have been paid to you while your daughter received Mid-rate care. There is only one rate of carer element and it's currently £162.92.

The disabled child element has two different rates and is a premium for having a disabled child on your claim. The lower rate is £128.25 and the higher rate is £400.29 a month.

This should be backdated to the date the higher level of DLA has been backdated to. So you should receive the difference between the two rates backdated to when the high-rate care began. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.