PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

PIP

kes2611kes2611 Member Posts: 118 Connected
I have a question on PIP. I have not had a bath for over a year cause i cannot get into my bath cause of my back problem n bad ankle,does that count as needing help to bath cause that is one of questions. 

Replies

• OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,259 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, I'd say so.  You'll need to give a bit more info on the form though. 

For example, can you shower in a cubicle/wet-room instead?  Do you need an aid such as a hand rail or seat etc to shower?  Do you need assistance to wash any areas that can't you're unable to reach due to your back problem?

Hope that helps.
  • kes2611kes2611 Member Posts: 118 Connected
    I have a slipped disc n cant lift my leg to get into the bath n i wld not b able to get down into bath or push myself up.if i had a shower i wld have to sit on a stool cause of my back issue.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,225 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Yes it needs to be included and how you do wad yourself or get help to wash 

Have you thought of getting a bath lift I have one they are a life saver 

You can get a care needs assessment by referring yourself on Gov website and it will assess and recommend and supply any aids you need including aids to bathe 
  • OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,259 Disability Gamechanger
    kes2611 said:
    I have a slipped disc n cant lift my leg to get into the bath n i wld not b able to get down into bath or push myself up.if i had a shower i wld have to sit on a stool cause of my back issue.
    Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing you'll need to explain on the form. 

In my opinion you should score at least 2 points there for needing an aid. Possibly up to 4 points if you need any assistance as well.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,989 Disability Gamechanger
    There are points here but not as presented so far. You could presumably bathe if you could get in, so, unless you say to the contrary, you would score 3 points for needing assistance to get in/out. There are no points for aids here unless you use the aid to do the washing. Different situation altogether if you can’t actually wash yourself.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,225 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sure I got points for having to use a bath lift to get in and out of bath as I got points for bathing and I can wash myself 
  • kes2611kes2611 Member Posts: 118 Connected
    will the decision maker look at my ESA to help make decision n will they read the letter i also sent in with my PIP form. Am on ESA for life. 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,989 Disability Gamechanger
    janer1967 said:
    I'm sure I got points for having to use a bath lift to get in and out of bath as I got points for bathing and I can wash myself 
    Sorry, dozy moment after a long day. Bathing is defined as getting in or out so yes.
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 3,777 Disability Gamechanger
    kes2611 said:
    will the decision maker look at my ESA to help make decision n will they read the letter i also sent in with my PIP form. Am on ESA for life. 
    ESA and PIP are two completely different benefits, an ESA award can be reviewed at any time.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
Sign in or join us to comment.