Hi all. Just had my pip award stopped — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi all. Just had my pip award stopped

Divad1
Divad1 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
edited February 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all. Just had my pip award stopped! However I'm doing a mandatory consideration as I suffer with severe depression, I've also been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my neck, shoulders and arms with is really affecting me daily. I also have peripheral artery disease. These are now correct diagnoses for my illnesses as pip didn't have that info before. Does anyone think I may have a chance of getting it back? I will be grateful for any advice at this stage. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi sorry you gave been refused PIP 

Unfortunately it isnt about a diagnosis but how you are affected on a daily basis against the descriptors 

For the mr you need to go through each descriptor you think you should score points and give real life examples of what happens when you try do the task 

The success rate of mr isnt high so you then have the option of tribunal 

Let us know how you get on 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Divad1

Welcome to the community, I hope you are well.

It's not for me to say whether you will have a solid chance of winning the reconsideration or not, but I of course hope you do. With PIP, it's not about having a diagnosis, I would ensure that you have anecdotal evidence to go along with the descriptors. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Divad1
    Hi Ross thank you for your reply. I'm just waiting on doctors letters atm. It's all taking a long time. I'm very stressed right now as I'm actually in worse health than I was before. Plus they have totally ignored my mental health issues. It's so frustrating
  • Ross_Alumni
    Divad1 said:
    Hi Ross thank you for your reply. I'm just waiting on doctors letters atm. It's all taking a long time. I'm very stressed right now as I'm actually in worse health than I was before. Plus they have totally ignored my mental health issues. It's so frustrating
    I hope the letters are ready to collect soon, the pandemic certainly hasn't helped speed this sort of thing up which is understandable. I totally get why you are so frustrated though, it can be a very stressful time.

Are you going to include information about your mental health as part of your MR?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Divad1
    Janer1967 thank you for your response. I will have to go all the way then if I don't get it. It's really getting me down. 
  • Divad1
    Yes I am Ross. I'm waiting on a needs assessment then my psychiatrist is going to do a report. I just don't have much time left. The pressure is unbearable atm
  • Ross_Alumni
    Divad1 said:
    Yes I am Ross. I'm waiting on a needs assessment then my psychiatrist is going to do a report. I just don't have much time left. The pressure is unbearable atm
    Please try your best to relax, I appreciate these things can take time but you will get there in the end :) Do you know when the needs assessment is?

• Divad1
    No not yet Ross. Its the not knowing that's getting to me plus I only have 3 weeks to get it sent off. I've already asked for an extension
  • Ross_Alumni
    Okay, well hopefully it happens soon for you. Glad you have requested the extension, I imagine the additional time will benefit you.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    From CAB:

If you've missed the 1 month deadline

It's still worth asking for a mandatory reconsideration, as long as it's within 13 months of the decision.

You'll need to explain your reasons for being late - for example if being ill or dealing with difficult personal circumstances meant you couldn't apply in time. Use your form or letter to explain why your application is late, as well as why you disagree with their decision.

The DWP can refuse your application if it's late, but as long as you applied within 13 months of the date on your decision letter you can still appeal their decision at a tribunal.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• dynasty30
    dynasty30 Community member Posts: 88 Courageous
    I can never understand why the grant you an award and then take it away,I certainly understand why you are stressed and frustrated my heart goes out to you.
    PAD is hard enough considering it’s a progressive illness outlooks can be bleak not like there is a cure that’s so darn unfair 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Was it the end of the current award did you have a review I’m guessing ? As I didn’t think pip just stoped awards without reviews . Sorry this has happened please appeal and don’t give up I know how stressful it must be but there are so many people on the forum who have taken it to appeal and won 
  • Divad1
    Thank you cupcake88. It wasn't a review. I had a heart attack last year and now have angina, I just wanted to add on the extra condition but had to fill in the whole form again! Since then I have had other illnesses diagnosed. I am so down about my life right now. I'm speaking to cab later but I really don't feel hopeful. Pip have completely ignored my mental health and the problems I have which is now worse. I really don't know what to do anymore. I'm really struggling financially
  • Divad1
    @dynasty30 thank you it really is unfair to go from 11 points to zero and the money is gone but same bills are there. I'm crying every day now and can't have a normal conversation without bursting into tears. They really shouldn't mess about with ppls mental health. I feel so close to the edge.. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Hi @Divad1

I'm sorry you're feeling this way and I completely understand, the PIP process can take a big emotional toll.  If you need advice with filling in your MR form, you can always contact Scope's friendly helpline team on 0808 800 3333 and their opening hours are: Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm. Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 6pm.  Likewise, the Advice Local website is good for accessing free independent support local to where you live.

I also wondered if you'd used Scope's benefits calculator to double-check that you weren't missing out on any benefits you were entitled to?  Make sure to give it a go, if you haven't already :)

In relation to your low mood and tearfulness, are you seeing a mental health worker regularly?  if this is something you'd rather not discuss on the main board, feel free to email us at community@scope.org.uk  Otherwise, if you feel talking to someone about your emotions would help, make sure to call your GP or contact: 
    • The Samaritans on 116123 or by emailing jo@samaritans.org
    • SHOUT by texting 'SHOUT' to 85258 to speak to a trained crisis volunteer.
    If your thoughts begin to concern you and your welfare might be in danger, call 999 and ask for an ambulance immediately too.

Finally, this Scope webpage discusses more about challenging PIP decisions, so it might be useful to give it a quick gander when you next have a warm cuppa tea 
    :) 

Please let us know how you get on, and we are always here should you need someone to talk to.  Good luck. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• Divad1
    Thank you. I'm in touch with mental health team but I don't think I'm getting enough support @Cher_Scope I'm speaking with welfare benefits shortly and waiting on doctors letter but it's all taking so long... 
  • Divad1
    @Cher_Scope I also didn't know there is an Mr form to fill in? I have told pip on phone that I want a mandatory reconsideration but they haven't sent me a form. I'm quite confused with the whole process.. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Divad1 I'm glad to hear you're getting enough support :)  And apologies if I've confused you by mentioning a form.  That is just one way of requesting an MR, alongside phone and letter.  It's good that you have someone from welfare benefits to help you out and I hope it won't be too long a process for you now.  Good luck.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• dynasty30
    dynasty30 Community member Posts: 88 Courageous
    Divad1 said:
    @dynasty30 thank you it really is unfair to go from 11 points to zero and the money is gone but same bills are there. I'm crying every day now and can't have a normal conversation without bursting into tears. They really shouldn't mess about with ppls mental health. I feel so close to the edge.. 
    That I can totally understand I’d be absolutely devastated if they had done that too me.
    you certainly need to stay strong and see this through,as your entitlement should stand,don’t give up,hopefully CAB will be off some help.
    please stay in touch and let us know how it’s all going as I’m sure we’d all like to support you 
  • Divad1
    Hi dynasty 30 I've just spoken to cab and they have advised me to make a fresh claim because I have 3 new diagnosis and pip are only dealing with past illnesses. I just don't know how I'm going to manage in the meantime... 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.