Advice about award and mandatory reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice about award and mandatory reconsideration

PrincessRuby
PrincessRuby Community member Posts: 37 Connected
Hi, I received a text last Monday advising me that the DWP had received my assessment report, so phoned and asked them to send me a copy. I haven’t received it so phoned this morning to make sure it had been sent - the woman on the phone (after I asked how long a decision could take) said that a decision letter had been sent out yesterday...she said I have been awarded standard living component with nothing else. 
My question would be, how likely is it to get the decision changed through a mandatory reconsideration? 
I feel I should have been awarded enchanted living and standard mobility too. 
Obviously awaiting the decision letter and report so I can see where the points have been added and missed off, but wanted to ask advice here in the meantime. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hu and welcome 

Sorry you dudnt get the award you wanted 

The success rate at mr is quite low but there are some who get decision changed so dont let it put you off 

The more detail on your mr about real examples of how your condition affects you completing the tasks the better 

Have good look through report when it comes 

We are here to help if you need any 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's not very likely to change at MR in all honesty - but if you're prepared to continue through to tribunal you'll have a much better chance.

As you say, you'll have to look at the awarded points and see where you feel you can score more, and if you could add any more evidence to support those points.
  • PrincessRuby
    @janer1967 hi and thank-you :smile:
    @OverlyAnxious hi :smile:

thank-you both for your advice! 
    I think (for once at least) my approach is the right one with waiting to see where the points are etc and taking it from there.
    anxiety got the better of me I think so I wanted some clarification that my thought process was the right one. X
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi PrincessRuby. Sorry you didn’t get the award you think you should receive. 

Glad to hear you won’t give up.

My award was changed after MR from standard mobility to enhanced.
    I had received 6 points on daily living after assessment but no change at MR.
    I got standard daily living after an appeal.
    So good luck
  • PrincessRuby
    Glad you won your appeal! Did you end up going to tribunal for it? 
    How long did the MR process take if you don’t mind me asking? 

I almost wish I hadn’t phoned this morning now as wouldn’t be postman watching too badly in the coming days!
  • hollymurray40
    hollymurray40 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
  • PrincessRuby
    @hollymurray40 sorry it’s taken me so long to respond. I had to say goodbye to my 14 year old dog at the end of March and my mental health took a complete nose dive. He was my absolute world, so really struggling at the moment.
    no update with the MR, they received it on 17/03. I’m hoping it won’t take much longer. 

• janer1967
    @PrincessRuby sorry to hear your sad news and hope you are starting to feel better 

Hopefully your Mr decision won't be too much longer 
  • PrincessRuby
    @janer1967 thank-you. My GP has upped some of my meds and added sleeping tablets too. 
    Hopefully start feeling a little better soon. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @PrincessRuby - I'm sorry to read about your dog & obviously how upsetting that was for you. It's good your GP is being supportive, so hope you do indeed feel that little bit better soon. Hope you hear soon about your MR too. :)
  • PrincessRuby
    @chiarieds thank-you. I’m lucky that I have a good GP. 
    I phoned PIP yesterday to see where I was up to, he told me it had been assigned another case manager to look at...he asked if I had anything to add (I didn’t know you could ring and do this) so I added the med changes etc too. 
    I asked if I’d be getting a call, he said probably not but I might do.

Anyway...I’ve just had a call, which I didn’t answer as didn’t know who it was, then got a text saying
     “ Personal Independence Payment tried to call you regarding your reconsideration request. We will call you again this afternoon/tomorrow morning.”

Now I’m a bag of nerves and anxiety as wish I’d of just answered the phone as at least that way it would be over and done with. 
    I’m guessing at this time now it’s more than likely going to be the morning they ring back maybe?
  • chiarieds
    Oh @PrincessRuby - I'm sorry you didn't answer the call, but I'd have probably done the same! I rarely answer if I don't know who is ringing. Hopefully you hear sooner rather than later. Please kindly keep us updated, thank you. :)
  • hollymurray40
    @PrincessRuby I am always so anxious, I would have definately called back and explain you missed the call! Please keep us updated. Hope its the news you want x 
  • PrincessRuby
    @chiarieds At least now I know who it is with that number (starts with 0800), so I’ll answer it when they phone back - phone is glued to my pocket now. 

@hollymurray40 Anxiety is awful isn’t it. If I haven’t had a call back by tomorrow lunchtime then I’ll phone and make sure they’re still calling. 

Will update when there’s anything to update :smile:
  • PrincessRuby
    I never received a call this morning, so this afternoon I plucked up the courage to phone them. 
    Managed to get through to someone who told me he knew why I’d had the call and that it was good news. 
    My mandatory reconsideration had been successful and I’ve now been awarded the enhanced rate for both daily living and mobility. 
    He said the decision had been made yesterday and the backpay had been authorised this morning and was due in my bank next Wednesday. 
    Think I’m still in a little shock as I’ve read that most decisions remain upheld with the MR. 
  • chiarieds
    Thank you for that great news @PrincessRuby - & definitely congratulations. Yes, most decisions do remain the same with a MR; you've joined a great club.....I'm one of the few whose award increased with a MR too!! Mine was just an increase in the mobility component, so you really have done well. :)
  • hollymurray40
    @PrincessRuby thats amazing news! I sent all my evidence for MR around 3 weeks ago, still anxiously waiting to hear, but this gives me some hope! 

Do you mind me asking why you were awarded PIP? I completely understand if you dont want to answer.

Could you also explain what you included in your MR and what evidence?

Im not trying to sound rude, or nosey. Just trying to establish if its anythinf similar to me and if im likely to have a good outcome. Thanks :) x
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,612 Disability Gamechanger
    @PrincessRuby  A big congratulations to you that’s amazing news.
    As @chiarieds sd not many get changed at MR but like yous I also got my mobility changed to enhanced at MR.
    Once again a big well done. I’m sure you’ll sleep better tonight ? 
  • janer1967
    Great news thanks for sharing 
  • PrincessRuby
    Thank-you all! Certainly didn’t expect that when I phoned them at all. 
    Will wait though until I get my letter/backpay in the bank until I actually believe it though.  Xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.