Proud of myself... — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Proud of myself...

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
...OK its early days but over the last few weeks I have cut my smoking in half (using a vape thing to help), if I keep it up I will hopefully smoke 4,000 fewer cigs than last year. After 52 years of smoking I thought it about time I made an effort, and senior management started cutting down last year.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Well done, Woodbine, I'm sure there will be some health benefits to you reducing your smoking by half! Keep up the good work! 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Wow that's brilliant and you should be proud 

I cut down last year I buy super kings and just have half of one at a time so now just have 5 cigs a day 

Just think of all the money you will save be able to take senior management on s cruise next year 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done @woodbine, that’s really good.

i was going to start a new job and I knew it’d be difficult to smoke so I was going to buy some nicotine lozenges. Once in the chemists I realised how expensive they were and said so, the next thing I knew I’d been signed up for stoptober, an nhs initiative, and given free patches and lozenges etc. That was the beginning of me stopping smoking completely after 45 years of being a heavy smoker. I was so glad to be free of the slavery to the addiction.

So well done, I wish you well with it I really do. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
         Well done @woodbine, keep up the good work. I smoked 20 a day for years then one day I just stopped and used a vape. It took me a year to pack in the vape by reducing the nicotine slowly and I have been an ex-smoker for about 3 years now. I still crave a cigarette now and then but I am determined not to touch one again. Think of how much 4,000 cigs would cost at, what are they now £10 a pack? A nice amount of money saved  :)
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Well done @woodbine

This is just a suggestion but might be good

I’m drinking less alcohol at the moment and when I don’t drink I put the money I would’ve spent on drink into a separate bank account.

Just over a year later now and I won’t share what it’s up to but it is in the hundreds and this is money I would’ve literally pi**ed away (sorry for language!)!!!

I don’t know what cigarettes cost these days but if you put away the money you would’ve spent on cigarettes you might have a nice sum in a year or so.

Edit to add I do it daily so it’s just a few quid a day so not badly missed but it soon adds up to a sizeable amount. Could do similar with the cigarette money.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,622 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done Woodbine that’s a great start and I’m sure you’ll be able to stop altogether soon.

I smoked nearly 20 a day up until I was admitted to hospital in October 2017 with sepsis I was in over 6 weeks. Iv never smoked again since.

Keep it up it’s so worth it.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Yay go @woodbine !
    I cut down by making myself go out to the shed for a smoke, so only 8/10 a day for me now...gave up once for three years but I've given up giving up as it were so kudos to you and senior management...

Not appropriate for this thread but I bloody miss my menthols!  Lol
  • woodbine
    I did a really stupid thing 4 years ago I was in hospital having open heart surgery with complications, I didn't smoke for the 2 weeks, and first thing I did when I got home was light up, I really missed a great opportunity, but that's life !

• karen1812
    karen1812 Community member Posts: 60 Connected
    Well done I am thinking of giving up fans soon as I will have to push my husband around in a wheel chair soon 
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,622 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh to be honest I went to stay at my mums when I got discharged, as I needed looked after.

She has never smoked and nobody can smoke in her house. So it definitely helped me not to start again. If I’m honest if I had went home to my own house at the time I might’ve gave in.

Good luck 
  • janer1967
    I gave up for 2 months using the tablets then my husband left me to live with the mother of his grandkids who he had been having an affair with for 3 years 

So I turned straight back to the cigs so I blame my ex 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    janer1967 said:
    I gave up for 2 months using the tablets then my husband left me to live with the mother of his grandkids who he had been having an affair with for 3 years 

So I turned straight back to the cigs so I blame my ex 
    So that step ladder could be useful after all...wrap it round the neck of your ex! Lol
  • janer1967
    @Cress lol I have wanted to do more than that at times 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I gave up 12 years ago when my dad passed away  I made a promise and I kept to it 

Recently had sleep problems and couldn't figure out why .

It's becsuse I have been out of work and I was drinking alot of coffee now I drink de caff coffee and my sleep is good now 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @woodbine well done! Keep it up. I was a 30 a day smoker but gave up many years ago by going cold turkey. I found that easier than cutting down. I always think if I managed it anybody could do it. It would be hard for you though if senior management smokes as well. There have been times when I think I could just do with a cigarette but after watching my mum with copd and still smoking :( I know I would never have another. I couldn't afford it anyway, although I can remember that as a smoker cigarettes would have been a priority even on my budget. 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    Cress said:
    Yay go @woodbine !
    I cut down by making myself go out to the shed for a smoke, so only 8/10 a day for me now...gave up once for three years but I've given up giving up as it were so kudos to you and senior management...

Not appropriate for this thread but I bloody miss my menthols!  Lol
    This bought back memories of the 70s and Consulate :) I've just googled them and can see menthol ciggies were banned a few years ago. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Cressida why were they banned ?
  • woodbine
    Daughter smoked menthol but moved to menthol vaping when they stopped selling them,
    It was an EU ban which was brought into UK law in 2016

• Lisatho11987777
    @Cressida thanks for that I never knew that lol I don't even know how much cigarettes are now  @woodbine learn something new everyday I used smoke menthol but I must say I smoked more because I liked the taste  and I used to like the the think long brown cigarettes and the multi coloured ones ?

Brightness