What do you refuse to spend money on? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What do you refuse to spend money on?

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
In contrast to @Cress’s thread I thought I’d start a thread, a bit more up my street as I’m tight, asking what areas of life you spend the absolute minimum amount of money on

A couple for me:

Medicines - I don’t buy branded medicines. As long as they have the same active ingredients there is no reason to buy a branded medicine in my mind. (Maybe someone can correct me? I’m open to it!)

Clothes - I’m not into fashion so spend little on clothes and shoes. Only buy new shoes and clothes when my old ones have holes in them!

Over to you

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I refuse to buy bottled water when I already pay for my water supply 
  • 66Mustang
    That’s a good one
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I have resisted buying a smartphone and associated contracts or extra tv channels over freeview and I too am against buying bottled water. I also sometimes make my own rawlplugs from wood. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Window cleaners... have nets, dont care!

I only buy generic etc meds, the price difference is usually huge.

Toilet roll, wont buy cheapest but own brand is fine for me, dont need quilted or cushelle type stuff.

Toothpaste....there's always a shiny new one that does exceptional things for a fiver... couple of months down the line it's £1.50 'cause they've brought out an even better then the even better one...

I'm sure I'll be back with more!

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I like the bottled flavoured water so do buy that but I refuse to buy fizzy pop  I would  dread to think what it does to your body 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    Amazon Prime or Spotify Premium...  I'll use the free trials though!  :D
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious I love my amazon prime with the free delivery and bring able to shop at morrisons  on my app and loads of box sets and films and things to watch 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    leeCal said:
    I have resisted buying a smartphone and associated contracts or extra tv channels over freeview and I too am against buying bottled water. I also sometimes make my own rawlplugs from wood. 
    I love that you make your own wooden rawlplugs. I love all things wooden. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I refuse to pay £10 to have my hair cut, senior management has done it for the last 15 years with clippers, must have saved me well over £600 so far.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,681 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang I just want bargains lol, Poundland do branded stuff for a quid I refuse to pay supermarket prices for same items that are dearer. I also refuse amazon  prime, I won't buy sea food sauce ever as it's just ketchup and mayo to make. I also look for vouchers for on line shopping.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I refuse to pay a fortune for anything. I tend to buy supermarkets own products and most of my clothes come from charity shops. I have also bought all my furniture from charity shops. I have saved myself a fortune!
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    deb74 said:
    I refuse to pay a fortune for anything. I tend to buy supermarkets own products and most of my clothes come from charity shops. I have also bought all my furniture from charity shops. I have saved myself a fortune!
    That's a very efficient, cost effective way to live, bravo to you :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • mia97
    mia97 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    If I am able to find free parking, I will park there (as long as it is not doing anyone any harm). I have never understood why some car parks charge. Example, a car park next to the local park...why should you pay, just in order to enjoy your family day out at the park? And don't even get me started on hospital car parks - most people who park at hospitals are visiting a family member or friend who is ill. They are not choosing to be there, it's a case of having to be due to circumstances - I see it as exploitation of a vulnerable situation.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    Some interesting contributions everyone thank you for posting. I especially like the one about parking.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Biro pens. Pretty much all of the ones I own are ones I've been given for free from companies and so on :D 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    Biro pens. Pretty much all of the ones I own are ones I've been given for free from companies and so on :D 
    Haha :D
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Biro pens. you know, thinking way back, I’m sure that people commonly used a pencil and paper for general notes, shopping lists etc, Ink was more for permanent records or correspondence or form filling or perhaps school work etc. I suppose I’m saying that for general note taking a pencil might be cheaper than using a biro, with the added benefit of being able to rub out the pencil marks and re use the paper. Just call me Scrooge. ?

pretty sure we only used pencil at primary school unless we were doing writing class, then it was a pot of ink and a scratchy old wooden handled pen in those days.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang

Brightness