Lcwra and severe disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lcwra and severe disability

kami24
kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
What is the difference between the two of them? I don't get it and what will happen to the severe disability premium once every person is forced onto UC? Is it replaced by calling it lcwra and is this a lower amount or are you reassessed for Lcwra? Or is it automatically added???????? Thanks 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    The process of managed migration to UC is expected to take at least 3 years, my attitude is to worry about it when it happens.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Lcwra is re assessed on regular basis 

It is different to SDP which is an old benefit and can be claimed if you live alone and get PIP and nobody claims carers for you for those on esa 

Lcwra is for those who are unable to work in any capacity and claim UC 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    LCWRA is equivalent to ESA Support Group.

SDP is extra money included for those that qualify in some old benefits.

If people switch to UC while they.are getting SDP in an old benefit and still meet the qualifying conditions for it they will get extra money in their UC (a transitional element) at the start also but the value of this extra bit will reduce over time if other parts of the award increase.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • emc123
    emc123 Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    @calcotti Hi, sorry to comment on an old thread but can you clarify Transitional Protection Payment on UC will cease once granted LCWRA as you cannot have Both in payment? :-) xxx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    emc123 said:
    @calcotti Hi, sorry to comment on an old thread but can you clarify Transitional Protection Payment on UC will cease once granted LCWRA as you cannot have Both in payment? :-) xxx

This thread is 18 months old. Question answered on your other thread here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/96613/transitional-protection-payment-uc#latest

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    emc123 said:
    A person can receive both. So someone who gets transferred from ESA Support Group with SDP would get both LCWRA and a SDP transitional element.

The SDP element is reduced by elements added later.

So if someone moves from JSA or IS and gets SAdPelement but is subsequently assessed as having LCWRA because the LCWRA is in many cases worth more the SDP the SDP element would be lost. Those couples getting SDP element of £405 would retain some of this once LCWRA added.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • emc123
    Thanks so much Calcotti :-) xxx
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    You are welcome @emc123. It is the very least you deserve.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to help. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • emc123
    edited October 2022
    Could anyone tell If being on Enhanced PIP for both components may have any bearing on LCWRA?
    I understand they're 2 very different things with very different criteria but I know an assessment report/award from 1 can have an effect on the other as a DWP CM did say this and I've read many times in their Guidance too that a PIP award/report can be great evidence for LCWRA and vice versa.
           I'm on LCWRA with Both Enhanced PIP components and was wondering if it will have any effect at all come LCWRA review.
    (They're way behind at the moment thankfully so my LCWRA has been in place longer than the expected review date November).
    Thanks so much for reading.x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    emc123 said:
    Could anyone tell If being on Enhanced PIP for both components may have any bearing on LCWRA?
    I understand they're 2 very different things with very different criteria but I know an assessment report/award from 1 can have an effect on the other as a DWP CM did say this and I've read many times in their Guidance too that a PIP award/report can be great evidence for LCWRA and vice versa.
           I'm on LCWRA with Both Enhanced PIP components and was wondering if it will have any effect at all come LCWRA review.
    (They're way behind at the moment thankfully so my LCWRA has been in place longer than the expected review date November).
    Thanks so much for reading.x

There is some similarities between the descriptors of PIP and LCWRA but they are different benefits and one doesn't influence the other. I don't see why you can't send a PIP report for your WCA review, when ever that maybe and vice versa.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • emc123
    Thanks Poppy :-) x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.