COVID Vaccine CV/CEV — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

COVID Vaccine CV/CEV

Options
Nattie3
Nattie3 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
Hi, I’m sure lots of people have posted about this. But just wondering if anyone can relate? I was given a shielding letter in the first lockdown due to being recognised as clinically extremely vulnerable, and of course to carry on shielding through the latest lockdown to date. My partner and carer has had his appointment offer for his vaccine through a few weeks ago, as he is an “unpaid carer” to someone who is clinically vulnerable to COVID-19. However, I’ve not heard anything about mine, and as I receive high level of outside support, an organisation rang my GP for an update on mine, and on record I’m not part of the clinically vulnerable group, nor do they have any records of either letter of shielding. Basically saying “They got sent to people who didn’t even need them”. And only people of 65+ is receiving theirs, plus clinically extremely vulnerable. Going forward, I was told to wait till my age group -“30”, she said on target for June/July for the first dose. I’m confused why I’ve been completely bypassed, how the information contradicts so much. I will have no choice but to wait, but I’m just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? Due to me not having mine, I’m the only one in my support organisation client group has hasn’t been offered a vaccination, and as a result my support has been decreased due to the higher risks. Sorry for the long article. My brain is fried.
Tagged:

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Hi @Nattie3 Sorry to hear you're having difficulties with accessing a vaccine, I can understand how your brain must be fried :(

If you scroll to page 10/11 of this government 'Greenbook' on covid-19, it lists the various conditions that fall under the priority group 6 of people who are 'Clinically Extremely Vulnerable'.  If you find your impairment there, then it may be worth speaking again with your GP, or an other clinician involved in your care, to have you recoded.  

To read what our other members have been speaking about in relation to the coronavirus vaccine and their experiences, you can visit our coronavirus vaccine tagged conversations.  

Wishing you lots of luck and I really do hope you are able to get the vaccine quicker than anticipated.  Let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have two health conditions that make me vulnerable and have had to wait until my age group was being called, now having the first wax next week, my advice would be to continue to take the precautions, stay home etc and wait till contacted.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hope you get things sorted soon 
  • Nattie3
    Options
    Hi @Nattie3 Sorry to hear you're having difficulties with accessing a vaccine, I can understand how your brain must be fried :(

If you scroll to page 10/11 of this government 'Greenbook' on covid-19, it lists the various conditions that fall under the priority group 6 of people who are 'Clinically Extremely Vulnerable'.  If you find your impairment there, then it may be worth speaking again with your GP, or an other clinician involved in your care, to have you recoded.  

To read what our other members have been speaking about in relation to the coronavirus vaccine and their experiences, you can visit our coronavirus vaccine tagged conversations.  

Wishing you lots of luck and I really do hope you are able to get the vaccine quicker than anticipated.  Let us know how you get on.
    Thanks! As per the greenbook I am listed to be in a priority criteria, however my doctors surgery beg to differ. 
    GP’s are extremely busy people and I don’t want to keep ringing regarding it, but I feel mine is just as important. 

I’m just at a loss with what else to do! 
    I’ve been shielding since last year, even when shielding ended last summer, I continued to do so due to my vulnerability. 
    Of course I’m happy to wait for my turn, I don’t see myself above anyone else, but I still feel there’s an importance there. 
    But my age group is still 4 months away! 
  • Nattie3
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I have two health conditions that make me vulnerable and have had to wait until my age group was being called, now having the first wax next week, my advice would be to continue to take the precautions, stay home etc and wait till contacted.
    Of course, I’d never put myself needlessly at risk. 
    Waiting for the vaccine is just as important as my vulnerability is. They’re estimating mine is still another 4 months away based on my age group, which is a long time for someone with vulnerable person who has been told by government guidelines and by a letter from
    my GP to shield. 
  • Ayoung1979
    Ayoung1979 Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Options
    Has anyone with diabetes gotten a vaccination? If so, which one and did you have any reactions to it?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There were a couple of comments about that on this thread about the coronavirus vaccine by MarkN88 and Janer1967 @Ayoung1979 :) Are you worried about getting any adverse side effects? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Ayoung1979
    Options
    @Tori_Scope. Yeah I'm worried about the side affects because of all my health problems ?. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's understandable @Ayoung1979. Have you spoken to your GP about your concerns? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Ayoung1979
    Options
    Yeah I did and she said she thinks that I should get it
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Options
    I got a phone call from my doctor yesterday and I have got my first jab next Thursday. I have ME and there is a bit on confusion as to whether it was included in group 6 on the priority list. My doctor obviously thought I was vulnerable enough to get my jab early!
  • Nattie3
    Options
    Just an update from the post:

I have received a phone call to book me in for the first vaccine, and a full apology was sent from my GP Surgery as somehow I had fallen under the radar. 

So mystery solved. 

Brightness