Census and ESA AND PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Census and ESA AND PIP

DEE9999
DEE9999 Community member Posts: 72 Connected
Hello all, 

Today i was taken to get covid19 jab as high risk.

Came home already in a state as severe health anxiety, to find the 2021 Census - don't really understand it. 

I panicked because normally someone helps me but there was no one available and I filled it out as best i could online. 

It asked questions about - if I've ever had a paid job, which I have had before I became mentally unwell, so I answered 'yes but not in last 12 months' 

It then asked - what was my last paid job, but I've not worked since around 2007 and so i put on all those questions 'Cannot Remember, Have Not Worked For Years Due To Mental Illness' - because I literally cannot remember what it was, due to my poor memory and being mentally ill (i also put long term sick and how bad I am and how I struggle to do day to day tasks). 

It asked me about qualifications and i can't remember back to 1988, so I put basic GCSEs as think that's all I had. 

I am on tranquillisers at the moment too because I've got to see a hematologist about problem with my blood and I'm scared and my health anxiety is worse than ever, so this is just extra worry. 

I stupidly also submitted it as soon as I did it but was told as long as nothing changes on 21st it's ok. 

Does the Census have anything to do with any of my benefits like PIP or ESA, as i don't really understand any of it and the questions seemed very similar? 

Please be mindful of how you respond, as I get very scared easily. 

Thank you ? Dee

Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    DEE9999 said: Does the Census have anything to do with any of my benefits like PIP or ESA, as i don't really understand any of it and the questions seemed very similar? 
    The census is a statistical gathering exercise. It has nothing to do with your individual benefit claims.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • DEE9999
    edited March 2021
    @calcotti thank you, I'm concerned that i couldn't answer some of the questions and put about my mental illness instead of putting name of former employer which i just cannot remember.... 
  • DEE9999
    @poppy123456 hope you're well? Wanted your take on this too please. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    DEE9999 said:
    @poppy123456 hope you're well? Wanted your take on this too please. 
    No longer participating on this website.
    You can find general information about the census here About the census - Census 2021
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • DEE9999
    @calcotti sorry to hear that, she was very good with me.
    Is there anyone, including yourself, who can answer my second response?? 
  • DEE9999
    @calcotti my sister looked for me and it doesn't answer my question about not being able to remember employment from 9 years ago, hence asking you guys on here. 
  • DEE9999
    @Ross_Scope are you able to advise please as I feel I'm getting ignored and it is not good for me. Poppy was so amazing at helping. Please read my initial post, where possible. I understand that there is a link to census etc but it has no information about what happens if you can't remember questions that have been asked. Thank you ? 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @DEE9999 Post don't always get answered immediately depends on who's a round, as long as you answered the questions as best you could on the census you have nothing to worry about, it's not some sort of test, just gives the powers that be information about the people who live here, and future provision of education, hospitals etc etc.
    As it says as long as nothing changes in the next 17 days sending it back today is ok.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• DEE9999
    Hi @woodbine thank you, i just don't want to be fined 1000k and taken to court because its impossible for me to remember what job I had in 2007. Otherwise, everything else is OK 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

You are not being ignored just people are busy 

You have no worries about the census it just happens every 10 years and has been advertised on tv to be prepared for it arriving 

You just answer best you can and if you cant answer all the questions or remember dates that is understandable 

It is just gathering info to help with future gov services and provisions and not linked in anyway to DWP benefits or anything 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    I made a post bout census got mines threw the post . I have mental illness too. My partner is going to fill out the form . If you can’t get some one to do it for you just tick disabled and they should understand that you can’t answer all questions . Just try your best . 
  • DEE9999
    Thank you everyone ?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DEE9999 It's good to hear you received your vaccine today and I hope our members responses put your mind at ease about the census.  There's absolutely nothing to worry about so please don't let it worry you.  Take care and speak to you soon :) 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • DEE9999

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.