How do you shop for clothing? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you shop for clothing?

Options
yaskeats
yaskeats Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited March 2021 in Coffee lounge
We all get dressed in the morning but I know from personal experience that living with a disability can make dressing and buying clothing a tedious event!

How do you shop for clothing? what is the experience like? is it accessible? 
Tagged:

Comments

• cartha
    cartha Community member Posts: 1,390 Pioneering
    Options
    I haven't shopped for clothing since lockdown in March 2020. I like to go somewhere I can try it on. I tried buying clothing online but I couldn't be bothered with all the hassle of different manufacturers coming up different sizes, etc. Much easier to see it ad feel it. I used to like buying from Peacocks but I see it is gone now so I'll have to find a new supplier. I'm one of those people who will wear something until it virtually falls off me. That sounds a bit bad, I do change every day! ;-)
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    Options
    As a disabled person people have no idea how difficult it is to buy clothes. Like cartha above I like to try things on to see if they fit especially if its for something special. I usually buy my trousers from Debenhams and my tracksuit bottoms from Bon Marche as I know they fit after trying on many different brands but our local branches are gone. No idea where to go now. My feet are size 2 and have always had difficulty buying these as it is either childrens or those with very high heels.
  • mia97
    mia97 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Options
    Since all of the lockdowns, I have turned to online shopping. I try to order similar clothes to the ones I currently own, this way I know that I will get the sizing correct and therefore reducing the task of having to return items. I have many clothing items which are identical, but just in different colours/designs - meaning the fit is the same. When the shops are open, I don't mind going to the shops as you can often find really good sales/last minute deals but ultimately, online shopping is less stressful and can make the whole shopping process a lot easier.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have found buying on line to be a good alternative during lockdown but like @cartha I have found sizes differ so I have taken to buying elasticated waistband trousers and oversized T shirts mostly. That way I can afford to pop another hobnob or two when I wish! ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Options
    I buy most of my clothes from charity shops. 
  • cartha
    cartha Community member Posts: 1,390 Pioneering
    Options
    I've bought a lot of clothing from charity shops but not sure how many will be left after lockdown. Some great bargains in some charity shops.
  • sally37
    sally37 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    If your a plus size lady or man I love yours clothing and it souits me
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    yaskeats said:
    We all get dressed in the morning but I know from personal experience that living with a disability can make dressing and buying clothing a tedious event!

How do you shop for clothing? what is the experience like? is it accessible? 
    This is an interesting post, thank you @yaskeats for asking these important questions :)

For me, during lockdown, I did a lot of my clothes shopping online and found that an accessible way of shopping for new items. I think one thing that is also important to add to these questions, is around the type of products for individuals living with a disability. 

For example, I have endometriosis and experience pain and stomach cramps daily. A hot water bottle really helps with my symptoms but it's obviously not very accessible when you might have to walk to somewhere/or be outside etc. Therefore, thinking about the design of clothes/items is also important to ensure that they are more accessible for individuals living with a disability :)
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    i often buy online but I also try to buy what I can from second hand shops, if possible name brands which look as good as new. At the moment I’m looking for a nice jumper but they seldom have my larger than large size!  

I have asked santa for one this year but for some reason I seldom get what’s on my modest lists, perhaps I should stop posting to the North Pole? ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mainly online unless something catches me when out 
  • chloeblue04
    chloeblue04 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
    Options
    I prefer to buy clothes from Primark, New Look, H&Ms, Peacocks and charity shops instead of purchasing clothes and accessories online. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mainly online but do like second hand shops 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Not many charities sell online especially clothes I guess photo and inventorying everything would add a lot to overheads.
  • janer1967
    Options
    I've bought 3 skirts today online from asda I currently don't own a skirt thought they would be nice for my holiday 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    What colours did you go for @janer1967?
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,826 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Online I don't normally for clothes as I like to try on 1st, I have recently because of time limits and turned out OK. Prefer to go in the shop, I don't mind on line for shoes or boots
  • chloeblue04
    chloeblue04 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
    Options
    I used to shop for shoes at Clarks when I was a kid but I currently shop for shoes at Shoe zone and a few charity shops. I bought 3 new canvas shoes at Sainsbury's. 
  • janer1967
    Options
    I got a black one with coloured butterflies on a white one with floral print and a blue and white stripe 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I like to buy in the shops and try on 

Brightness