Time for a rant!!! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Time for a rant!!!

Options
Fed up of government not helping those of us who are not on universal credit!!! Why are those of us on esa pips etc etc not being helped in these uncertain times? Nothing in the budget to help us, gas electric water etc etc always going up, why ? Because greedy corporations want more profit and don't care about anyone else!  They could easily freeze there bills as there's so much unemployment etc, but them and the government don't care!
Now we, me and my partner , might have to move in a few years time from our privately rented bungalow, struggle with stairs, I've noticed since the big uproar over people on benefits being discriminated against with rented property, what's happening now is the prices have shot up to make them unaffordable to most?
Sorry for the rant but it does my head in!!!!!!!

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @givingup it's always good to get stuff off your chest ! I think to be fair people like us on esa and pip get a better deal than those on UC. There is help avaliable with gas/electric bills, and I totally agree water is the one utility that there has never been any help with.
    As for unemployment the OBR gave some good news this week that it's expected to peak at 6.5% not the 11.1% they thought it might, thats will be around 1.6 million fewer jobs lost.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you'd be better off on UC you can migrate over.  I really don't get the obsession with the £20 uplift on here.  I'd only be £5 better off on UC myself...until the £20 stops then I'd be £15 down.  Better for me to stay on ESA as long as I can!!

The rent problem is one that's really getting to me though.  I'm stuck in unsuitable accommodation with worsening health conditions...not because I can't afford the rent on a better place, and not because I have a history of debt or property damage...purely because of prejudices.  The reality is that in the current climate, landlords and agents don't need to take the risk with someone on benefits when there are so many employed people needing to move...
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Afternoon Mike sorry I should have said no direct help through benefits, yes the companies can help if requested.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness