Hi, my name is 1279! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is 1279!

Options
1279 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, this is my first post and I was hoping for some advice. 
I started a new UC claim in April 2020 and they were aware that I had health conditions. When I was doing the first phone call with them I asked do I need to provide a fit note. They replied not at this time due to the covid pandemic but you may be asked to provide evidence in the future. I heard nothing back. 

In December 2020 I contacted them asking why I haven't had my work capability assessment, they then told me I needed to provide a fit note backdated to the beginning of my claim. My doctor wouldn't do that because of government guidelines and provided me with a backdated note for two weeks.  I've since been put on LCWRA which should have been done months ago. 

I contact UC asking them will they be back dating the claim to 3 months after the initial waiting period, to which they replied No as I didn't provide a fit note, that they told me I didn't need. 

On my journal I have two missed work assessment appointments that I was only told about when I had missed them. They didn't let me know that I had these appointments just told me that I didn't attend.  They also told me about another in the November that they neglect to inform me about, and they only told me about that one when I started making inquiries as to why I hadn't had the assessment. 

It's stated on my initial claim that I have Health conditions that affect my capabilities to work or look for work. It also says that they may ask me for evidence in the future. Which they didn't until I started making inquiries. 

Is there anything I can do about this as I have lost a lot of benefit through their mistakes. 

Thank you. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

When did you fill in the uc50 form and send it off 

You said you missed some assessments but they let you know you had missed them.  Did you not query this at the time rather than wait 

Yes you were given incorrect advice about fit notes but unfortunately they have guidelines to follow just like your gp only backdated your for note few weeks 

I would contact welfare rights who will be able to advise 
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, 
    They only sent the uc50 in January after I'd asked them what was going on.
    I was in  a bad depression for many months and didn't take much notice of my journal and wasn't aware at the time I was entitled to extra benefits. So when they said they would arrange another I jus thought everything was OK. 
  • Ibelive2020
    Ibelive2020 Community member Posts: 799 Pioneering
    Options
    @1279 welcome tó the community we áré áll here tóo help and support each other if you want any advice őr support őr a chat give me a shout 
    Options
  • janer1967
    Options
    Sorry this probably isnt what you want to hear but I think you will struggle to get it backdated to the start . I presume they will take date of your fit note as start of claim and then there will be the 3 month waiting period on top 

They will say it is your responsibility to check your journal as that is one of the commitments of getting paid your UC 

Do you have anything in your journal from speaking to your work coach about the future notes 

You need some expert help here to try and challenge the back pay I would suggest welfare rights 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    1279 said: I started a new UC claim in April 2020 and they were aware that I had health conditions. When I was doing the first phone call with them I asked do I need to provide a fit note. They replied not at this time due to the covid pandemic but you may be asked to provide evidence in the future. 
    What they should have advised is that you needed a Fit Note and that you should report the details of the Fit Note in your UC journal. What they weren't doing at the time was asking people to show the Fit Notes (although they are now going through old claims and may ask to see the Fit Notes that people previously declared). I think that getting backdating will be difficult but if you think you were given misleading advice/information you might be able make a complaint.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
    Options
    OK, thanks for the information 
  • janer1967
    Options
    Great news so pleased for you both 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.