How do you feel about pupils going back to school? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you feel about pupils going back to school?

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
edited March 2021 in Education
Schools are starting to reopen from Monday 8th March (Gov.uk). 

Do you care for a child who'll be going back to school? Will you be going back to school? How do you feel about it? Do you have any concerns? 
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Grandson goes back tomorrow and he's looking forward to it, he did go back for a half term last summer with no issues or problems, grandaugter is older and also goes back but not till later in the week to allow for testing etc.

I think it's important that children go back, they have lost out on so much of their education and in many ways seem to have suffered more because of covid and they need the normality that being with their friends will help bring.

There is talk of shortening the summer holidays I hope they don't as I'm sure kids will see that as further punishment.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,826 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    1 of my grandsons is  happy to see his freinds and going back to school, 1 of my grandsons is not, he had a difficult time settling in and got used to it, now he's been at home he says he doesn't want to go back. In fact was a straight no. We will see
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My son goes back in tuesday he is ready to go back to be with his friends not so bothered about the learning side . He has done well home schooling and his results are lots better he obviously benefits from more 1 on 1 learning 

He wont like having to get up earlier to get to school instead of just rolling out of bed 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I don’t think everything can be attributed towards the equality act. Unfortunately funding is always limited and always has eligibility attached. 

Have you considered self funding? Looking at the Turn 2 Us grants section and searching for a grant? Looking at the advanced learner loan scheme to pay for it? 
  • RobbinBright
    RobbinBright Community member Posts: 20 Listener
    Options
    I feel absolutely positive! 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Good luck to them both for this week @woodbine :) I agree that young people have had it tough, so hopefully this is the first step on the road back to something that resembles normality.

I can imagine pupils wouldn't be happy with shorter holidays! Especially if more things are open for them to do. I can understand that many pupils will have missed out on learning though too, so I can see the other side of it. 

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Good luck to your son for tomorrow @janer1967 :) I'm sure he must be excited to see his mates! 

Ah yes, there are benefits to the 10 second commute :D 

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    I'm sure that lots of people are experiencing the same @Sandy_123. Fingers crossed he'll be alright once he's back in, even if it takes some time to adjust. Are the school aware of his reservations in going back? 

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    According to Sky news SAGE has said that the return to school is bound to be reflected in a rising R value, mainly because adults will catch it from the children.

I’m sure it will be monitored closely.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,826 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Tori_Scope he loved it, received a smiley face pic of him walking to school and he had a great day he's only doing half days in nursery, my other grandson who's 6 has a girlfriend who he's marrying apparently, so he was happy to see her lol.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    leeCal said:
    According to Sky news SAGE has said that the return to school is bound to be reflected in a rising R value, mainly because adults will catch it from the children.

I’m sure it will be monitored closely.
    Agreed that could be a problem, time will tell, although the govt. seems determined that as we take each step out of lockdown there will be no going back.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness