Influential women — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Influential women

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
edited March 2021 in Coffee lounge
Today is international women's day and earlier on the radio the question was which woman in your life has had the most influence on you, it took me a nano second to decide who was mine. My late mum who I both loved and respected, she was born in the 1930's into extreme poverty, her dad went off to fight in the WW2 and didn't come home (he wasn't killed he just never came home), she vowed when she left school that she would never be poor again, and we never were.
She married a man she love for over 60 years, and she instilled in me a work ethic that stayed with me all my working life, she suffered for years with bad migraines but would almost crawl to work rather than stay at home. She was always firm but fair always treating her children and grandchildren equally.
I have tried all my life to follow the example set by her and my dad x

Which woman has been most influential in your life?
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• muuranker
    muuranker Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    It is difficult to choose, so I won't. In chronological order:

Ada Lovelace. Because I am typing this, and you are reading this (she is the mother of computing).

Margaret Mead (US, anthropologist) because (a) she was my introduction to.aot of Quaker thinking, and (b) she pushed forward the sexual revolution.

Agnes Augusta Austin (aka "Granny Austin"), my great-grandmother. She died in 1935, and according those who remembered her, and know me, she was "very determined" and "a terror". And I am like her. Thank you for those genes, ggma and your daughter and granddaughter for passing them along, and so much more.

Whiti Hereaka (Ngāti Tūwharetoa, Te Arawa) a New Zealand writer and barrister, who is just one among many speculative fiction writers who I might have picked. One of my highights of 2020 was listening to Whiti tell a story in Maōri at a conference in New Zealand (zoom, naturally). No, I don't speak Maōri - she's that good.

Jess-bobs (the cat in my profile picture) for being very soft.

• RobbinBright
    RobbinBright Community member Posts: 20 Listener
    Glory to all strong women! 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
           Glory to "ALL" women 

Brightness