Corona virus — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Corona virus

Lisatho11987777
Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
edited March 2021 in Coffee lounge
I have had to come to wolverhampton to look after my mum ,  in mums Street alone 6 people have died   12 of my mums friends have died. All of corona virus.

I had to go food shopping yesterday as there was no food in mums house I went to morrisons , I was shocked  at how many people were in the store most of them  without masks on it was the most awful experience I had in a long time.

I am glad mum is in day center for the next three days so I don't have to go out there are loads of people walking around they don't care how close they get to you  no wonder the cases are still high here 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    That's a very high number of deaths personally I know only one person who has had the virus ,that was last march and one person who has died from it.
    The last time we went out (apart from the doctors and hospital) was 23rd Dec.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Whenever my partner comes back from work, or whenever we do the weekly shop, she is frequently shocked by the number of people who don't wear a face mask, and in particular the amount of young people traveling on public transport who don't. It often aggravates her anxiety even though she has already received the first dose of her vaccine and therefore has a certain level of protection.

Of course, some people don't have to wear one, but I imagine most of the cases are people who just choose not to wear one because they don't see the point, and in turn that makes things worse for those who don't need to wear one for medical reasons.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Ross_Scope I have seen in first hand now sorry to say this but this honestly doesn't happen in wales 

This is the first time I have been scared being outside I have had to come here to look after my mum until Sunday who has dementia 

In morrisons  where I live in Wales you have to queue as only so many people are allowed in at the same time and have to wear a mask or have proof  of not being able to wear one and there are hand sanitisers  but the one I went to yesterday in England was packed with people no sanitiser and only a couple of people wearing a mask 

People are hanging around in groups on the way from Wales I got stopped three times comring  through Wales once I got over the boarder there was no police or nothing there was loads of traffic and groups of prople hanging around where snack vsns were parked its awful 
  • Lisatho11987777
    In West Glamorgan you would get fined we have police stopping cars prople eith no masks not allowed in shops without one without permission  

Different places have different ways I supose I got stopped twice between where I live and just short of the border but nothing when I got to England some places in wales which made me smile saying no visitors allowed  wolverhsmpton has alot of cases of corona virus its quite high compared to the over all cases for the whole of wales 
  • woodbine
    from the BBC:

cases per 100,000 people in the latest week 27 Feb-5 Mar. The average area in England had 50*.

Seems the number of cases is just slightly above the national average in Wolverhampton

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    In my neck of the woods in England it’s rare to see anyone without a mask and many of them keep a two metre distance or at least try to. It probably varies from town to town, place to place.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine that's pretty scarry for me as its only 165 new cases across the whole of wales and only 6 new cases in my area makes me feel scared for my mum with dementia not realy knowing what's going on 

Thank you for the information I was trying to find it but mum doesn't  give me much chance lol 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @leeCal yes I think it does  I am not used to what I was seeing here and people spitting on the floor and large groups of people  snd nothing done 

This does happen in wales but police would intervene and fine covid breaches thry have made thousands of pounds in fines in wales 

I am only here until Sunday so fingers crossed I get home covid free 
  • woodbine
    edited March 2021
    @woodbine that's pretty scarry for me as its only 165 new cases across the whole of wales and only 6 new cases in my area makes me feel scared for my mum with dementia not realy knowing what's going on 

Thank you for the information I was trying to find it but mum doesn't  give me much chance lol 
    The figure from the BBC was the number of cases per 100,000 people ;the figures for wales are on average just under a 100 per 100,000 for n.wales and the same for mid wales and south wales, so on average slightly up on the figure for Wolverhampton and pretty much in line as you would expect with many areas in the UK. There have been numerous reported cases of people being fined in England over recent months nothing different than the rest of the UK , and I know for a fact that supermarkets are only allowing 1 person to shop or 2 if one is a carer, I have to say that to suggest the situation in England is so much worse than in wales or anywhere else in the UK is being disingenous at least and imho borders on scarmongering i'm sorry to say.
    Although having said that people are entitled to their opinions I think that where something as serious as covid is concerned those opinions should contain more than a modicum of fact.

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
         My son still drives down through Wales and back home to Lancashire every week for work and has still never been stopped, nor has he ever been pulled up near home. Think it's the luck of the draw.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine maybe worded wrong between where I live in Wales and where my mum lives its bad compared to where I live 

England will have more cases because its bigger than Wales 

Apologise for any upset 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,681 Disability Gamechanger
    I was quite surprised how packed bus was yesterday, 1st time I've caught one in ages. 1 went in Morrison's and was no limited people going in, was busy. 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    It’s rare to see a police officer around where I live. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @MarkN88 only one I have seen since I got to mums was the one that came to the house to do a welfare check to make sure mum wasn't on her own  he scared me lol telling me the virus was bad in mums area 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    @lisathomas50 yeah i think some areas are still worse than others at the moment, but overall everything has come down in terms of infection rates and deaths. As long as you both take all the necessary precautions still than you will be doing everything you can. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Sandy_123 morrisons  by my mums was packed  I think I was shocked  as where I live only ten people at a time and only can go one way two more people were taken to hospital  in my mums Street  one last night one this morning with corona virus lol England is a bigger place lol ?
  • woodbine
    @woodbine maybe worded wrong between where I live in Wales and where my mum lives its bad compared to where I live 

England will have more cases because its bigger than Wales 

Apologise for any upset 
    my figures were direct comparisons by 100,000 cases of population, so it is direct comparison not comparing one with the other.

• Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine thanks I think it was just initial shock didn't mean to upset  its  going to be a difficult week lol I am sure I will survive lol ?
  • woodbine
    @lisathomas50 just make sure you wear a mask and you should be fine

• cartha
    cartha Community member Posts: 1,390 Pioneering
    8<
    My family remain in North Wales and I can assure you that not wearing masks is most definitely as much a thing in Wales as elsewhere. 
    People seem to behave well here in Pembrokeshire, as @lisathomas50 described for her area, we have restrictions at the supermarkets and everyone is spaced apart. I sometimes get stares if I put a foot ahead of my two metre blob or line. I still feel uneasy in supermarkets because there are those who don't care, don't wear masks, let their children run their hands over everything, etc. Thankfully they are rare. Even outside a lot are wearing masks but I don't see the point of that in this windy county. All workers and professionals I have dealt with have been masked up apart from one who had his mask under his nose. I have seen a lot of maskless people at the bus stops hanging around close together, so glad I drive. An elderly friend complained that a lot of people on buses weren't wearing a mask back in March/April 2020. No idea what they are like now.

I suppose it must be more difficult to control people in built-up areas where supermarkets and shops probably have far more customers to get through in a day, or they would be queuing down the streets well into the night I imagine. Roads around here are still much quieter than usual outside office hours but seem to be pretty normal during the day.

The only comparison I can make is with a trip to Swansea the end of last year. It was a lot quieter than usual but people in town where I was seemed a lot more relaxed about being close to other people in the streets than they are around here, and I would say there were more people wearing masks outside in the streets there, though mostly under then chin or under the nose. I didn't visit any shops, I just parked up for a meeting and came back home afterwards so it's not really a good comparison.

Brightness