Pension Freedom (55+) Lump sum (ESA IR) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pension Freedom (55+) Lump sum (ESA IR)

fluffycat
fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
Hello
After some advice, please.....
How frequent (or infrequent) can you can take a SECOND draw-down Pension Lump sum without affecting income related benefits?

I took some money (Pension Lump Sum Draw Down) which DWP said OK  as it was under £6k. (£3500 about 6 months ago) Purpose of Debt repayment and updating a few house-hold / Personal bits with cash, than credit.

Hypothetically If I took £2K (in near future) net,  would it be ok as both (joined together) under 6K. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    As long as the lump sum keeps your savings below £6k in that respect its not a problem, something tells me there could be a problem that having accessed you pension you have opened a can of worms, but I might be wrong in that and your best source of info might be "pension wise"
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
    woodbine said:
    As long as the lump sum keeps your savings below £6k in that respect its not a problem, something tells me there could be a problem that having accessed you pension you have opened a can of worms, but I might be wrong in that and your best source of info might be "pension wise"
    Hi there,
    Thanks for your reply....
    My worry when they DONT treat 'Draw Down' as Capital. (when DWP deems it as regular income)

Your right, I'm not wanting to stir the worms too much!! 
  • woodbine

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    be careful as the DWP have access to accounts when they feel the need to investigate a claimant.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger

Not sure Pensionwise are all that knowledgeable about benefits.

The basic rule is that an 'ad hoc' withdrawal is treated as capital and therefore has no impact on benefit payable if capital remains below £6,000. Regular withdrawals fall to be treated as income and are deducted in full from I-ESA. There is no guidance, to the best of my knowledge, on when several withdrawals fall to be treated as regular.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pension-freedoms-and-dwp-benefits/pension-freedoms-and-dwp-benefits
    If you or your partner do take money from your pension pot, it will be treated as either income or capital, depending on, for example, how regularly you withdraw it.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    I found pension wise really helpful especially about withdrawing for a pensions and it's effects on benefits, something in the back of my mind tells me that once you start to access a pension before the age of 66 they can then treat it as if you are accessing the full amount. However I am not a pension expert and may well be wrong, I suggest pension wise as its a free service if you went to an IFA its not cheap.

• calcotti
    edited March 2021
    woodbine said:
    I found pension wise really helpful especially about withdrawing for a pensions and it's effects on benefits, something in the back of my mind tells me that once you start to access a pension before the age of 66 they can then treat it as if you are accessing the full amount. However I am not a pension expert and may well be wrong, I suggest pension wise as its a free service if you went to an IFA its not cheap.
    Glad you had a good experience of Pensionwise. I think I’d probably trust an IFA even less to understand pensions and benefits!

Any money retained in the pension pot still falls to be disregarded until the claimant reaches pension age. 
    https://www.pensionwise.gov.uk/en/benefits
    Before you or your partner reach the qualifying age for Pension Credit any money you take out of your pot will be taken into account when you’re assessed for benefits.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.