Autistic son PIP and Employment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autistic son PIP and Employment

Options
cjs1111
cjs1111 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi all. My son is 17 and doesn’t attend college because of his Autism, we’ve tried but it just won’t happen. To cut a long story short we applied for PIP (reassessment from DLA) and got disallowed with 0 points which we are awaiting a MR decision so fingers crossed. From experience is it ‘tight’ for me to guide my son in to employment when he turns 18, I feel really bad but his dad doesn’t quite understand him because he’s ‘old-fashioned’, especially with what’s going on PIP etc? He really does struggle a lot and family members don’t know about his Autism (he wanted it that way because of a late diagnosis and embarrassment which I feel for him) and they keep making comments about him being ‘lazy’.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @cjs1111 good evening and a warm welcome to scope, on the PIP sometimes an MR works and gets an award but be prepared to have to go to appeal and use this time to research appeals or to get help, welfare rights is a good place to start.
    As for work I don't have an answer but hopefully others will, have you discussed it with your son?
    It's a shame that his dad isn't fully onboard as i'm sure your son would benefit from having both parents "upto speed".
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

I am saddened by your post saying your son would be embarrassed if family know about his disability . He has a disability and the more open he is about it the more support will be available 

You are not being tight wanting him to find work as long as it is something which will lead to more independence for him and not just about the money 

If your son doesnt attend college how so you think he would cope in the workplace? It can be hard to find a suitable job for anyone currently 

Is there some voluntary work he could do first to get some experience 

Quite a lot for you to think about . Tge job centre have disability work advisors 
  • cjs1111
    cjs1111 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thanks all, he has never been a learning type of person with a very short attention span. I just wanted him to have independence and I understand there’ll be bumps along the road with certain employers not being helpful for him but he’s a lovely lad who will keep it in and discuss it with me. I think we will wait for Coronavirus to be come less prevalent and try for a volunteering role then. Many thanks for your advice too. I look forward to engaging on other posts. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.