How to proceed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to proceed

ajhearne
ajhearne Community member Posts: 41 Connected
edited March 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello

I hope you are all ok

I am on New Style ESA

Am aware of thresholds and things for UC

Given I am over threshold for UC because of my savings do I have to take out of equation what have had from ESA in my capital?
I am aware that UC will know how much I have had from ESA but am unsure if I should be taking out of the equation on what have had.

I am waiting for the assessment on the ESA and am aware I am just getting very anxious come 19 June if no assessment only my PIP enhanced on both to rely on till decision made for which group and am aware of what they entale.

I did do change of circumstance to inform ESA  I'm not entitled to UC and couldn't see it 5 to 8 months from now and also told them other matters like my condition is worse etc so least bit of honesty etc

I am just really unsure what to do if I should proceed reduce capital on what had from ESA since June last year.

Second question if so, can I use the Fit Note just got or do I have to get another for UC new does not run out till 1 June

Thanks

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I suppose the question is how much capital are we talking about?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• ajhearne
    edited March 2021
    Hello 

16,270 and have had 2825.30 from ESA and 1046.35 from JSA

Thanks
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    When you receive your fortnightly ESA payment it is income. Any money left at the end of the fortnight becomes capital.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ajhearne
    edited March 2021
    ok thank you both for your time so you do you think did right thing to do the change circumstance then tell them am not eligible for it etc i.e. report money and things.

Thanks
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    I am not clear you say you have 16,270 and have had 2825.30 from ESA and 1046.35 from JSA (I assume this was before claiming ESA). Are you not spending any money? If you receive money and spend it it isn't capital. How much money to you actually have?

Regardless of answer to the above if you are not claiming UC you have no need to report anything. New style ESA is not means tested.

You don't need to tell ESA you are not entitled to UC. They are separate benefits. When you claim ESA you are not assessed for UC. Entitlement to UC will only be assessed if you apply for UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ajhearne
    Oh right ok only been doing rent to my parents after the ESA comes in after the fortnight payment 210 a month and my mobile phone, dental insurance and health insurance try not to spend on other things unless need to like birthday presents for example.

I just thought be sure but thought changes of circumstances says about income etc unless I got confused by it, oh well but least they know I'm not eligible for UC but see what happens after my assessment I suppose.
  • ajhearne
    I think probably whats triggered this is I've had supporting letter from my local shop owner who has done a letter of support and described descriptor 7a how much will be of a struggle for me, but thanks for letting me know about the capital but least done best to keep at a steady pace but given Covid, it was really nice of shop owner to take the time to produce a letter of support.
  • ajhearne
    Would if I contributed to my own personal pension be depreviation of capital? I have not done but wanted to ask.  Realistically to get anything from UC my capital has to be below £3000 what got now and am unsure how to take it down that far as a lot;  I have seen a flat I would like for my own but deposit for flat only leave me £3000 with capital so a big drop from my own again I am really struggling how to drop my capital when now have no mortgage/rent just support for food etc with PIP money.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.