National Insurance Credits whilst on Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

National Insurance Credits whilst on Universal Credit

Timcar
Timcar Community member Posts: 15 Listener
Hi everyone

I have a query regarding receiving NI Credits whilst on Universal Credit. I’ve had a continuous claim since December 2018 and was told I would receive National Insurance Credits whilst on UC. Looked into my gov.uk National Insurance contributions account and noticed I’ve not been awarded any credits for April 2019-2020. My UC claim has been continuous and I have contacted both Universal Credit and HMRC, who each say responsibility for awarding NI Credits lies with the other department-eg Universal Credit say take it up with HMRC, and vice versa. 
Anxiety is reaching new heights, and just wondered if anyone has had any similar experiences, and how to proceed? 

Comments

• Timcar
    Any information at all would be greatly appreciated 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    You should receive Class 3 NI credits while on a UC claim. As to who is supposed to do what in order for these to be applied I don't know. If you are completely stuck ask your MP to bang heads together.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you worried that you will end up with not enough N.I credits for a state pension?
    I would write to hmrc in the first instance.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Timcar
    Hi woodbine and thanks for response.

I think the main reason I’m worried re the National Insurance Credits is that in my Gov.uk Personal Tax account there is absolutely nothing there at all-it simply states there is no information re National Insurance for the 2019-2020 year. There should be Credits there and a record that I’m in receipt of Universal Credit. The issue regarding State Pension is a slight worry but there are also concerns that maybe in the future I may need to apply for a contributions-based Benefit and be unable to because of an error on the part of the DWP and/or HMRC. I’ve communicated with both of these organisations and even though they acknowledge an error I feel I’m being told “Oops, sorry about that, can’t be bothered to help you with it though”. I know they are very busy, but a mere acknowledgement that they will sort it out at some point would be a start.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Then perhaps calcotti's advice to involve your MP may help?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Timcar
    calcotti said:
    You should receive Class 3 NI credits while on a UC claim. As to who is supposed to do what in order for these to be applied I don't know. If you are completely stuck ask your MP to bang heads together.
    Thanks Calcotti I think that will be the outcome in the end. From the limited information they’ve given me, HMRC apply the credits based on data on the UC system. My claim has been continuous since December 2018, but somehow this does not filter through to HMRC, which is where it gets confusing. But I’m quite prepared to contact my constituency MP. I’m waiting for some advice tomorrow because there could be another step to take prior to this. 

Stay Safe 
  • Timcar
    I think so, but someone from Scope is getting back to me tomorrow to clarify the procedure. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Timcar said:..but there are also concerns that maybe in the future I may need to apply for a contributions-based Benefit and be unable to because of an error on the part of the DWP and/or HMRC.
    The Class 3 NI Credits you get (should get) on Uc count towards your State Pension but nothing else. They would not count towards any other contribution based benefits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Timcar
    Right many thanks calcotti
  • BeeGee1992
    BeeGee1992 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    @Timcar
    Did you get anywhere with this? I am in a similar boat right now :) 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    @Timcar
    Did you get anywhere with this? I am in a similar boat right now :) 

There are others in the same boat. All you can do is contact your local MP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that @BeeGee1992 :( Would you feel comfortable getting your MP involved in this?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.