Lockdown — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lockdown

Audinut70
Audinut70 Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
edited March 2021 in Coffee lounge
Im tired of mp's and the like demanding things open up sooner, the extra risk, so people who die because of this are just collateral damage! Hypothetically, would you give up your job/business if it would save your family? Yes, people are losing jobs/money, but what about the people that are losing family members? That affects mental health a lot more than losing your job, which can be replaced. Which is a fact there's no job security in this country anyway, like the minister that told nurses,  they should be grateful for THEIR job security. I wish people would think of the bigger picture than just themselves. 
Tagged:

Comments

• fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
    Better 'steady' as you go as this 'lock/unlock' is tedious and wasteful for food businesses etc.

Trouble is people go 'silly' when unlock!!

The week before full lockdown last Spring, hospitality was heaving AND when restrictions were lesser there were huge groups partying in the park with loud music etc. Wine bars etc. were like bees to honey-pot with outside seating.

If we could trust people we could unlock sooner!!! I'm careful to go places when quieter and avoid queues where possible. Even quieter stretches of parkland or later in day.
    (shops seem more fuller and less social distancing)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Losing your job through no fault of your own will have a massive impact on peoples mental health please don't undermine that, only today there have been a number of announcements, rolls royce to cut 9,000 jobs, john lewis will not reopen some of their department stores ever again, and 300 bank branches will close this summer, these are real jobs affecting real people. The govt. has a sound plan which takes us out of lockdown step by step, but there is a fine line between protecting the health of the nation and it's wealth, GDP fell 10% last year, v 2019, in January it fell 3% you can expect it to fall by 4% for Feb and maybe the same in March. £billions have been poured into protecting jobs and the economy and the national debt is around £2.2 trillion, eye watering amounts, that will have to be repaid at some point down the line.
    Yes deaths from covid19 are sad and you have to feel for the families who have lost loved ones, but at the end of the day it's hardly been the plague or the black death has it?And we now have a successful vaccine roll out which has been nothing short of superb.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
    Very difficult, Italy scenes were absolutely tragic and the lockdown (though as you say another  disaster was created by lockdown) potentially prevented those scenes, though we had huge numbers dying.
  • Audinut70
    edited March 2021
    The economy is my point, Wealth, this can all be recouped, and we'll still be better off than some 3rd world countries. Too much of life is about having loads of money. So what if we have to use foodbanks, or cant afford that bottle of wine. People need people, not possessions or luxuries. Why do we look at this less,than if we we're at war? This virus has killed more people than the 2nd world war. But it's ok because it's not people killing us??? This enemy 'won't' stop because we're are getting poorer! As long as we put wealth before life,this enemy will always win. I personally dont care if we go back to the dark ages, itll solve the levelling up problem for one.
  • Audinut70
    @#$$$@ are complaining about police breaking the unbelievable ignorant crowd up. They were told 'not' to go. What!!! So the police just stand by and shrug their shoulders??? Ive got a chance of going blind because I cant get the operations i need, because of people like them. How many people have already died because of people like them. They risk so many other people's lives, but they jump the queue if/when they catch it. I would probably get banned from here if i wrote what I really think of them. 
    Right to protest! Aye, do it online, or donate like the organisers said. I think they are responsible for it anyway. Plant the seed and it will grow. 
  • Audinut70
    I cant believe what I'm hearing, it could be 'guaranteed' that everyone at an organised meeting will stick to the rules!!! It takes a couple of people to transmit the virus, if 1 person dies because of that, thats another family lost a member of their family. The rifht to life should far outweigh any demo's or meetings. But them, it could never be proved it came from that meeting, so thats ok.
  • Audinut70
    Ive just had my brothers service on Thursday, i couldn't mourn him the way i wanted too, who the @#$% do these people think they are thinking they can do what they want for someone they didn't know. I'm mourning, what about me? I'm nit bothered if you kick me off here, if people on here think that putting other lives at risk is ok,as long as its for a cause, i don't want to be here. I'm all for causes, done reasonably. 
  • Audinut70
    My argument for anyone who think I'm being unreasonable. 1, can they guarantee everyone there will stick to the rules? 2, can they guarantee everyone there is there for the same reason? (Disruptors). 3, women haters there to gloat. If anyone can argue that these are acceptable risks, ill bow down to them.
  • Audinut70
    edited March 2021
    Oh,but howay, they wanted to mourn, anyone dying from their actions is just collateral damage. Dont forget, the right to hold peaceful protest or vigil, supersedes the right to life. I mean,they couldn't do what 100s of thousands of other women did, light candles or their phones ar their doors. half my family can't go to my brother's service, but thats different, its only my family. 
  • woodbine
    Audinut70 said:
    The economy is my point, Wealth, this can all be recouped, and we'll still be better off than some 3rd world countries. Too much of life is about having loads of money. So what if we have to use foodbanks, or cant afford that bottle of wine. People need people, not possessions or luxuries. Why do we look at this less,than if we we're at war? This virus has killed more people than the 2nd world war. But it's ok because it's not people killing us??? This enemy 'won't' stop because we're are getting poorer! As long as we put wealth before life,this enemy will always win. I personally dont care if we go back to the dark ages, itll solve the levelling up problem for one.
    Sorry but I have to take issue with your "figures" WW2 killed 75 million covid so far upto 14/3/21 worldwide has killed 2.6 million. Giving incorrect figures on a subject like this can actually frighten some people.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Well if the scientists are right with what has been said that doing things to fast will end up with a third wave by May 

7 schools have been closed across Wales becsuse of corona virus cases 

All any one can do is keep their self safe 

It doesn't matter what any of us say it is what it is and we just have to get on with life the best way you can 

It's going to be around for a whilst even if you have had the vacine you still have to wear a mask and keep your distance so it's no different 
  • Audinut70
    Sorry, i meant in this country, i assumed people would think the same. It didn't even occur to me about other countries. Ive just done s Google, and the numbers for some countries is mind numbing. God bless our raf pilots, and military. 
  • woodbine
    UK ww2 military deaths 382,000 plus civilian deaths of around 70,000 = 450,000
    Covid UK deaths to date 125,500

• Lisatho11987777
    How ever many deaths there have been its still way to many  this is an invisible war with covid you dont know where or when or if its going to happen so we just do the best we can to stay safe 
  • woodbine
    But I do believe @lisathomas50 that if people are going to bandy figures around they should bare some relation to the fact. :)

• Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine yes sorry I get that point of it  but as I said it is what it is we have to keep ourselves  safe so we don't end up in those numbers so many people have died 

How many people died in the plague @woodbine out of interest that went on for about four years until it ran its course if I remember  rightly I could be wrong and apologise if I am 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Sorry I am not messaging so much at the moment just grabbing time when I can 
  • woodbine
    edited March 2021
    @lisathomas50 almost 25 million people died from the plague almost a third of the then European population. So in % terms that would be 133 million today.

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @lisathomas50 you don’t have to go back as far as the plague, just until the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic.

Before COVID-19, the most severe pandemic in recent history was the 1918 influenza virus, often called “the Spanish Flu.” The virus infected roughly 500 million people—one-third of the world’s population—and caused  50 million deaths worldwide (double the number of deaths in World War I). In the United States, a quarter of the population caught the virus, 675,000 died, and life expectancy dropped by 12 years. With no vaccine to protect against the virus, people were urged to isolate, quarantine, practice good personal hygiene, and limit social interaction.’

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    @leeCal thanks for that I knew about the Spanish flu but not how many people died thsts why I asked how many people died in the plague 

From what you have said lessons should of been learnt then 

Brightness