Ppi scams — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ppi scams

Audinut70
Audinut70 Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
I thought I would inform people of a new scam just tried on me.
I had to take out some form of insurance, i was put on to a life insurance company, i took out the insurance, 2 weeks later, they tell me the broker for that insurance company has liquidated, then ask ne to sign up for funeral cover. It was at this point i smelt a rat.
 I've just received a phone call asking me to do the same thing, except my ppi award was different to the last one. As soon ad i told them i had just taken out life insurance, they couldn't get off the phone fast enough. 
I'm not easy to fool, but they almost had me.
It was clever, sign you up to a legitimate company, to get your trust, then get your bank details for a scam account. 
I hope this helps stop anyone being ripped off. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the heads up, but I don't quite understand "why you had to take out some form of insurance?"
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    I dont really understand this either 

What do you mean Ppi claim was different? 

Did they ask you for bank details or did they not get that far 

It may not be a scam as some companies share info and if you looked online forget companies see what you have searched and may think they would try and see if they could get you to buy their product as well 
  • Audinut70
    edited March 2021
    They tld me my claim was successful and my award was ready to be deposited in my bank, i had to go through the said procedures first. My award was different,the first was for £3,900, this time for £3,500, the insurance thing they said was to verify it was a legitimate claim, me,not a bogus claims company. it did have me thinking at first, but i use a dead bank account solely for direct debits and things like this, and wanted to see where it went. janer1967 said:
    I dont really understand this either 

What do you mean Ppi claim was different? 

Did they ask you for bank details or did they not get that far 

It may not be a scam as some companies share info and if you looked online forget companies see what you have searched and may think they would try and see if they could get you to buy their product as well 
    Is confusing people not the whole point of a scam? Anyway, is going to all that trouble to get you to sigh up to a company not still a scam? At  the least, it's still deception. This is just my experience, if anyone gets the same kind of call, its up to them how they deal with it. 
  • janer1967
    I agree yes they try and confuse people   I just didnt understand the connection with life insurance and then ppi sorry my mistake that I dint get it 
  • Audinut70
    No apologies needed, I scrutinise everything whem it comes to my bank details, they nearly had me. Not that they would have got anything, i transfer my debit payments on the morning they're due. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,796 Disability Gamechanger
    I had a call few months back saying ppi ready to go into my bank I said from who? They read out a bank I don't use, I said no don't have history with them, then they started reeling off other banks saying what about that black horse? I knew it was a scam I just played with them a little until they said .....erm I need to check paper work and hung up lol
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    You talk about pip scam, I was under the impression that all pip claims had been sorted out, or did you mean PIP?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Audinut70
    Ppi,person protection insurance. There is a scheme for claimants whose claims weren't finalized by the deadline. These scammers are playing on that. Sandy_123, it is fun playing with them ?, when you realise what's afoot. That's why i played it out, i knew they couldn't get to my main bank account. I still listen to them to find out how much i have been awarded this time, then hang up. My phone even tells me if its a potential scam. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,796 Disability Gamechanger
    @Audinut70 I must admit I do like tying them up in knots, they don't expect the questions I fire at them, did make me laugh when he named a bank the black horse. 

Brightness