Early memories — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Early memories

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
Following on from my thread about back in my childhood days, got me thinking what you earliest memory might be of events that have shaped our lives.

I have no idea where I was when JFK was shot as I was 4 years old, I do however have a vague recollection of my dad almost kicking the TV over as we celebrated Englands 4th goal in the 66 world cup.

I also have some recollection of Churchills funeral.

Over to you ....
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Welshjayne2021
    Welshjayne2021 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    Options
    I don’t honestly remember JFK being shot, but I do remember Bobby Kennedy being assassinated.  The next big events remember are the 1968 Mexico Olympic Games and of course the moon landings in 1969.
  • GavinT
    GavinT Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    I think in major events, I remember John Lennon's assassination in December 1980, I was 9 and my Dad and his friends were listening to Beatles and John's solo music at our house. 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    Options
    Hillsborough unfolding before my eyes is a very distressing memory. 

Keith Moon's death - 1978. (A bit random). I was on a plane to Tunisia at the time

Elvis' death in 1977

Actually Keith Moon's death was not a major event in most people's lives but it kind of stuck in my memory for some reason. 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mine would have to be Elvis Presley's death in 1977 when I was 10 

I was devastated like many others 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wasn't born when marylin munroe died but I learnt about her in books I have read and I saw the film when she supposedly committed suicide that sticks in my mind and when Princess Diana died that affected me 

Also strange as it seems I was affected by the death of Margaret thatcher especially when people turned their back on her coffin when it went past I thought it was the most disrespectful thing I had ever seen whatever she did or didn't do she was still a human being 
  • woodbine
    Options
    I live in an area that was once a big mining area and can understand people reaction to to Thatcher.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I remember watching Churchill's funeral, but the following year watching as the Aberfan disaster on the TV unfolded was dreadful; I was so shocked at the loss of children's lives, but didn't realise how some teachers who have recently died had helped some of the children escape.
    I watched the World Cup in the same year with my Dad, altho previously I hadn't had the faintest interest in football.
    I recall watching JFK being shot over, & over again on the TV too.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @woodbine I live in a mining village the colliery and all the mining stuff is still here  but it still doesn't deserve such disrespect in death they didn't need to be there alot of people do wrong and die people just don't go to the funeral just my opinion 
  • woodbine
    Options
    @chiarieds yes Aberfan was truly shocking 

• berry123
    berry123 Community member Posts: 264 Pioneering
    Options
    My childhood memory Charles and Diana wedding we had a street party.  
  • woodbine
    Options
    We got married later that same year, 40 years ago in October and she's still the boss bless her x

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    The twin towers was another major event thst I try not to remember for personal reasons I had nightmares for weeks after my mum and dad were devastated 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think 9/11 would probably be the earliest world event that I can fully remember.  Was in primary school and the teacher stopped us working to listen to the news on the radio as it was happening.

I vaguely remember an IRA car-bomb at Canary Wharf which must have been early 90s. 

I can also remember the Dunblane Massacre as I was about the same age as the kids there - and my parents were already worriers!  I didn't fully appreciate what had happened until I was older though.

Can also remember Princess Diana's death and a sudden emphasis on wearing seatbelts after that. 

On a more local not I can clearly remember Tony Martin shooting a burglar.

I can remember first seeing the B2 Stealth Bomber at one of the USAF air shows in the late 90s.

On a lighter note I can remember first seeing the Spice Girls 'Wannabe' music video! 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,597 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I think 9/11 would probably be the earliest world event that I can fully remember.  Was in primary school and the teacher stopped us working to listen to the news on the radio as it was happening.
    Same here - I think this was the first big world event that I can remember in detail.

Fun(?) fact I have a family member who was walking between the towers as the first one fell and decided not to go into the other one... :o Think that’s true - that’s what I’m told anyway! Will have to ask next time.
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Options
    Early memories as a young lad are JFK getting shot / England winning the world cup / Watching the moon landing and that first step / Later getting the first colour TV and the wonder of it. 
  • berry123
    berry123 Community member Posts: 264 Pioneering
    Options
    9/11 I was expecting my first child when the 9/11 happened she was born month after 

Brightness