Back in my childhood days.. - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Back in my childhood days..

Options

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,624 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @leeCal does sound painful  :)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,016 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @Sandy_123 Was that Sid something to do with the gas board? I only vaguely remember it.

one thing I did remember was balsa wood aeroplanes. You covered them in tissue paper and wound up a propellor attached to a rubber band and whoosh...two weeks work wasted and a broken aeroplane! Haha.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Did anyone have plastic, I think we called them dive bombers? You threw them up into the air, then they landed with a 'bang' on the ground as you'd placed a pellet in it's nose. I also had a 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' gun.....you might guess i was quite a tomboy. :)
  • woodbine
    Options
    I remember them lee and airfix models 

• woodbine
    Options
    @chiarieds I had a thunderbirds 2 probably be worth a few bob now

• leeCal
    Options
    @chiarieds Those dive bomb things were pretty good loaded with a gunpowder cap! Quite a fad for a while, as were those dense rubber balls which bounced extraordinarily high.

Also circular helicopter blades which flew off after pulling a plastic strap. Or was that a different era? 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    edited March 2021
    Options
    airfix models were great @woodbine, I had quite a few thinking back and the soldiers too. 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I liked my doll I had you could make her hair long or short you pulled her hair out the top of her head to make it long and pressed a button to make the hair go back back in she was called sheena
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Yay I just remembered  i used to play Jack's my grandad taught me how to play that and clackers I used to bruise my wrists lol and conkers gosh those were the days ?
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Options
    @Ellestar is right about manners. I was brought up being told manners cost nothing! reading @woodbines list is unbelieveable I am way too young to remember any of those things. I don't even remember a telly only having 3 channels. Reading some other people's memories has made me remember a few things from my past. Like @66Mustang says I remember the pencil sharpeners. He has remined me about being allowed to use a pen at school. I was taught to use a cartridge pen when I was about 10 yrs old. I kept my first cartridge pen for years. A lot of things from my chodhood have come back now!
    vinyl records
    cabbage patch dolls
    my little pony
    Lots more things a well. All I can say is thank goodness the shell suit has not come back. I can't believe I used to wear one of those things when I was a kid!
  • Victor
    Victor Community member Posts: 634 Pioneering
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Having to wait months for big movies to cross the Atlantic.  (Jaws opened in the US in summer - it didn't come out  in the UK until December.) And then of course E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial just about single-handedly launching the video pirate industry thanks to the UK distributors holding off its UK release until December....
  • daz2
    daz2 Community member, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Milkman delivering milk and milkshake maker that looked like a plastic cocktail shaker to your door. Action man jeep. My parents found this while rumminging through an old box in the loft a few months ago. Not seen it since about 
    1980. Not sure you can get these anymore.

• woodbine
    Options
    Milk in bottles was a great example of recycling now its mostly in plastic, although it's cheaper than it was 25 years ago

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    I still have a milk man where I live I love it ? I have milk three days a week 
  • leeCal
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I purposely engaged a milkman some years ago because I wanted to help him to remain employed. He delivered milk about three times and then it stopped and I never saw him again. I was younger and busier in those days so I didn’t bother finding out what happened . We didn’t even get a bill. Mysterious. Perhaps the blue tits got him!

(when I was a child blue tits used to open up the bottle tops and steal the cream on top, a very common occurrence.)

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @leeCal I have had my milkman for 3years I love it 
  • Ayoung1979
    Ayoung1979 Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Options
    Having cassette tapes
    computers were just starting to come out
    We didn't have gaming counsels and be inside for hours
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options

On the subject of milkmen, my Dad was the milkman ;);)

And I'm not joking - my Dad was, in fact, a milkman for many years!

@Caz_Scope
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • kev1
    kev1 Community member Posts: 613 Pioneering
    Options
    I remember a small shop near my primary school where many flavours of sherbert was sold. You could buy it in amounts from 1d upwards. It was put into a small white bag. You could also buy a glass of Tizer or Cream soda.

Brightness