Hi, my name is Matt785! Looking for advice on LCWRA underpayment from UC — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Matt785! Looking for advice on LCWRA underpayment from UC

Matt785
Matt785 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I'm new to the site and looking for some advice on LCWRA underpayment from UC

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,719 Disability Gamechanger
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

If you can give  more information we can try and help you hopefully 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Matt785 and welcome to the online community :) 

What sort of advice are you looking for specifically?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @Matt785 how much are they paying you and how much do you think they should be paying?and welcome to scope.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Matt785
    Hi Ross, I have been awarded LCWRA which was confirmed in a letter to me on the 11th of March. In the letter it also confirms that it has generated an underpayment to me and gives the figure which I'm owed. It then just says it will pay it into my bank account.
    UC then put a note in my journal saying that the amount would be paid to me over a 7 month period starting on the 15th of March, then payments every 7th of the month which is my usual payment date.
    I have asked why I now having been awarded it have to wait 7 months to have it paid in full, the journal entry just said it was company policy. Is this right?
  • Matt785
    Hi the amount is correct and it is quite significant, its been backdated 2 years. Its the manner in which they are repaying it, I thought if you were awarded backdated payments they should be made in full to you?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    If you are due arrears it would normally be paid to you in one go. Obviously future payments will include an extra amount every month but this is your ongoing entitlement.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Matt785
    @calcotti that's what I thought but when I have asked for a reason why they have said it is company policy to pay it back over the 7 months to me. I have left messages in my journal but have had no reply and rang twice but just got told it is the case manager I need to talk to and they will send a message to them as you can't contact them directly. Where can I go from here to get the money paid back to me in one go?
  • janer1967
    When you put a note in your journal put it as a payment query this should then go to your case manager 

I agree it is normally paid as a lump sum and is money owed so keep trying to get it resolved 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Matt785. Underpayments of LCWRA should be paid to you in one go, not spread over 7 months. Is is possible your Case Manager or person you've spoken to has confused the suggested award length with the payment schedule?
    As @janer1967 mentioned, putting your query in the sections 'about a payment' and 'service issues' should have them sent directly to your Case Manager and it can help to open it with 'Dear Case Manager'.
    I would ask for the guidance stating it will be paid over 7 months as it may at least help clear up where the confusion has come in. 
    Let us know how you get on and fingers crossed for a quick resolution. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • woodbine
    @Matt785 I'm puzzled that they would use the phrase "company policy" I have never heard the DWP use such a phrase as they are not a company. As others have said if you are due a payment for underpayment it will always be made in a one off payment. Are we missing something here?

• calcotti
    The only occasion i can think of when DWP might possibly spread out an arrears payment is if they have reason to think that paying it in one go could cause some financial risk to a vulnerable claimant. I can't reference that but have a vague recollection of reading it somewhere.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    @calcotti that would make sense, although it would be unusual, its this phrase "company" that bothers me.

• calcotti
    woodbine said:
    @calcotti that would make sense, although it would be unusual, its this phrase "company" that bothers me.
    I assumed it was a phrase Matt was using rather than something DWP had said - but perhaps I'm wrong.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    calcotti said:
    The only occasion i can think of when DWP might possibly spread out an arrears payment is if they have reason to think that paying it in one go could cause some financial risk to a vulnerable claimant. I can't reference that but have a vague recollection of reading it somewhere.
    This is true and I believe it applies if the arrears are over £3,000 and they have reason to think a claimant is vulnerable. 
    However, I'm fairly certain the guidance also stipulates that if a claimant requests the amount in full, instead of spread out, they have to pay it out in one go. So if they're using that guidance a claimant is well within their rights to request it in one payment and they shouldn't be able to refuse.

Please let us know how you get on @Matt785
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Matt785
    Hi everyone sorry for the delay in coming back to you. The company policy statement was made by someone in my journal from the Blackpool service centre. It appeared the same day as the official letter, this message was just written out as a journal entry and confirmed the amount due back to me and then began with 'Due to company policy we will be paying this back to you over a 7 month period' and then went on to list the dates and amounts etc. 
    I knew that couldn't be right as you say UC aren't a company, so I sent a message back last Thursday and still had no response yet and other messages sent this week have gone unanswered. I took your advice though and sent a message about a payment yesterday afternoon and haven't heard anything as yet.  
  • janer1967
    Give it a bit of time and hopefully you should hear 

If not try calling and ask to speak to your case manager or request them to call back 
  • calcotti
    Matt785 said:
    ...this message was just written out as a journal entry and confirmed the amount due back to me and then began with 'Due to company policy we will be paying this back to you over a 7 month period' and then went on to list the dates and amounts etc. 
    That is bizarre. 
  • Matt785
    Thanks guys still nothing back but as said I will give it a bit more time and be patient - I will post any update though thank you all for your advice and help much appreciated
  • Matt785
    edited March 2021

Hi everyone, I have had a response yesterday and at least he is speaking to his line manager!
    I will update when I know more on Monday hopefully!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.