How far have you moved away? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How far have you moved away?

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
Approx how many miles from where you were born do you live now?
And during you life how many homes have you lived in?

For me it's 40 miles and I have lived in 8 different homes (6 of those since I got married)
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Interesting topic 

I now live 25 miles from where I was born . Lived in 4 different towns Sheffield , Derby , Barnsley and Doncaster 

Have lived in 8 different houses 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
        I am about a  10 minute walk  from where I was actually born born, but have lived in a lot of different places including abroad. Couldn't even guess how many houses, but have been in my present home for just short or 30 years. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I have lived in France, Spain, Germany, America, Birmingham,  Wolverhampton, dudley,  then moved to Wales Llandrindod Wells,  Rhayader, Swansea, Llanelli, and where I live now ?
  • cazza6565
    cazza6565 Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    I live about 20 mins from where I was born. Lived in about 10 houses all in Glasgow
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    I have always lived within around 20 miles of where I live about from a couple of years when at college, since leaving the parental home I have lived in 3 properties all within Leicestershire

One reason I haven't travelled further afield is the difficulty finding accessible rental property 
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I used to live in Wolverhampton. I now live in mid Wales. Not sure how many miles I have moved but I know it take 1 and an half hours to drive back to Wolverhampton. Until I moved to Wales I had never lived more than 5 miles from where I was born. I have moved house 6 times in 47 yrs.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I've only moved once, and that was in August. I live aprox 8 miles from my previous home. About a 15 minute to 20 minute drive in good traffic
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Ive moved over 10000 miles away from where I was born and I’ve lived in 17 different homes over the years, and I intend on moving at least once more. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    leeCal said:
    Ive moved over 10000 miles away from where I was born and I’ve lived in 17 different homes over the years, and I intend on moving at least once more. ?
    Lee where were you born? (just me being nosey)

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    From the other side of the world @woodbine ☀️
    Thank heavens for gravity!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    Gravity has kept me grounded for 62 years long may it continue !  B)

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    I moved to next town 8 miles away and I've lived in 3 homes, I did consider moving back but it's a sleepy town, where I am now it's lively
  • DeliveryMoogle
    DeliveryMoogle Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    From Las Vegas, Nevada to Cornwall!
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I live around 200 miles away from where I was born. I've been attached to about 8 houses I think, in 4 locations. 

Wow @DeliveryMoogle! What was it like living in Las Vegas? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @deb74 I lived in Oxley when I lived in wolverhampton and I moved to mid Wales I lived in howey then Rhayader  now I live near Swansea 
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi @Iisathomas50 i live in Newtown. I would never have moved to Wales on my own. I was living with my parents when they decided to move to Wales and I couldn't afford to stay in Wolverhampton. I hated living here at first the pace was so slow compared to living in a city, I now love living here. I live on my own in a lovely old cottage. I have lived in Newtown for 16 years but it did take a long time to get used to the slower pace of life! 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I currently live about 8 miles from where I was born/grew up. 

Lived there until I was 18. 

Moved to Huddersfield for University. 

Then back home. 

Had my own place in the same town. 

Tried Scotland for a bit when a work opportunity arose, got home sick badly. 

Live where I live now. 

Moving on Wednesday down the road basically. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck with the move @MarkN88 :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I moved about 10 miles as the crow flies...but 20 miles in a car, thanks geography haha!

Can barely do a quarter of that distance now though.  My next move will have to be within around a mile radius.

Brightness