What are you reading? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are you reading?

Options
Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
I'm in need of some new reading material so looking for suggestions. 

What are you currently reading?
Do you have a book you'd always be happy to recommend?
Is there any book you always go back to and could read again and again?
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    I have just finished reading Richard Osman's - The Thursday Murder Club, found it very entertaining and a second book is due out in September I believe 

I am not reading Right Said Fred by Freddie Flintoff, his view on modern society, fame, lockdown etc, I like him so I am enjoying this 

I have read all of the Tom clancy books, many of which have been made into films and TV series

I read the Sir Caption Tom book just after christmas found that really interesting

Hope this helps, it may be useful if you give an idea of the kind of things you enjoy reading, genres etc ? 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Adrian_Scope
                                    Hope you're well. Please can I ask, do you have specific genres you are interested in or are you interested in non-fictional such as autobiographies? I appreciate you may be open to anything, I would recommend Jamie Redknapp's autobiography, as a football fan I found it really interesting. Thank you. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm reading atm a Jack Higgins book "exocet" its set during the Falklands war and Argentinas attempts to overcome the French arms embargo on Argentina, written in 1983 a year after the war.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @Adrian_Scope at the moment I'm listening to the Jack Caffery series of books by Mo Hayder

https://www.deadgoodbooks.co.uk/mo-hayder-jack-caffery-books-in-order/

I first read them 10 years ago and was looking for something to listen to through my Audible account. I read a lot and favour detective series. I also like Val McDermid and especially her Tony Hill and Carol Jordan series. (I have re-read these).

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/m/val-mcdermid/tony-hill-and-carol-jordan/

I would recommend that you read them in order (especially the Jack Caffery series). I especially enjoyed the Mo Hayder series as the later books are set near my home town. 

Just remembered the Nicci French series about Freda Klein. These are also a good read.

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/nicci-french/

I'm always looking for recommendations so will follow this thread with interest :)

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    A book I tend to read various chapters from again and again is ‘how to see yourself as you really are’ by the Dalai Lama. 

The book Im reading atm is ‘wisdom of the ancients’ by Neil Oliver, it’s well written but I’m not entirely sure about it as I’ve only lately been given it as a birthday present. non fiction.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm currently reading How to Avoid a Climate Disaster, the new Bill Gates book. Thoroughly interesting so far, really enjoying it.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hmm, I have pretty broad tastes. In terms of fiction, I've been reading a fair bit of historical fiction lately, but I'm always partial to some hard sci-fi and even the odd thriller.
    But I find popular science (astronomy in particular), humour/comedy, or even philosophy to be the easiest to pick up and put down which is a big plus when you have kids running around.
    Essentially I'm an annoying fence sitter without any strong preference, but it does mean I'm easily pleased and always willing to give most things a go!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My favourite author is Robert Goddard, & I would heartily recommend his first 2 books if you like historical fiction, altho they are hard to categorize, as they also lead you down the path with many twists & turns, alternating with the present day. His first book, 'Past Caring' starts in the early 20th century about a former Cabinet member. His 2nd, 'In Pale Battalions' is about WW1.
    For pure historical fiction, I have read Barbara Wood's 'Green City In the Sun' 3 times, which is about early British settlers in Kenya, & the founding of Nairobi from whence the book gets its title, & events which followed.
    I believe you've mentioned playing chess, so, combining your interests, I would recommend Katherine Neville's book, 'The Eight,' which combines chess, Charlemagne, the events leading up to the French Revolution, & the present day, which I have just re-read.
    I perhaps strangely like revolutions, & the Spanish Civil War, reading both fiction & non-fiction. I've read C.J. Sansom's 'Winter In Madrid' twice, another very good read. An absolutely excellently written book is Carlos Ruiz Zafon's, 'The Shadow of the Wind,' set in post-war Barcelona, & with a love of books at its core, but it's just such a joy to read (as it has been very well translated).
    Combining fiction & philosophy, if you haven't read Jostein Gaarder's 'Sophie's World,' another book I've kept a copy of, you might enjoy that, tho my son preferred 'The Solitaire Mystery.'
    As far as scientific (or at least medical interest goes), I defy anyone not to be intrigued by the title, 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat,' by Oliver Sacks, a neurologist...eminently readable.
  • gillian72
    gillian72 Community member Posts: 304 Pioneering
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope I'm reading ur discussion on scope atm lol ?
  • Quinty
    Quinty Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    Options
    A great book on Rafa Nadal the star of the tennis world. Its his biography. He has OCD you know. He has a lovely family, and goes through his childhood...he loves to cook, along with his brillient tennis career. A lovely man. 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options

Like a lot of people in lockdown (it would seem??) I've done quite a bit of re-reading stuff that I've enjoyed in the past and wanted to go back to.

So, top of my list is 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood. I love her use of language and it's such a powerful story. 

Has to be the book for me though, not the TV series!
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness