Phobias — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Phobias

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
I have a fear of heights, and have had most of my life.

Got me thinking what fears/phobias do you have?
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't like heights either 

I am terrified of monkeys and birds and cockroaches 

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm another for heights...even on the first floor I have to avoid looking directly down!

Heights, people, dogs, illnesses, bodily fluids, birds, horses, small spaces, large spaces, wasps...tbh I'm not sure where the line is between 'worries' and phobias...it's a very long list if I start adding worries.  :D
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
       Needles... :s but I don't even think about it when I inject myself every Monday and Thursday, all be it they are the pen types where you don't see the needle. I have to have a regular blood test and whenever I go for it the nurse takes my blood pressure and it's always sky high because of my fear. Silly really because I know it won't hurt  :/
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
       Needles... :s
    Oh!!  How did I forget that one?  Every news report is giving me panic at the moment where they keep zooming in on people having the covid jab!  :#

Bit sad that your fears haven't got any easier despite the amount you have though!
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Heights over say forty feet or so, but definitely snakes ?......errrrrr awful things!

also I really don’t like hearing someone else cleaning their teeth with a brush, sends shivers down my spine.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I dont like mice and rats and spiders and snakes as long as they are not near me I am fine 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Spiders
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Public speaking remains my nemesis.  I won't let it defeat me though and keep on trying!

Alongside this, I used to be really phobic about blood tests and flying.  Thankfully, I've worked through those and now consider them beaten <bangs chest like Tarzan>
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Big spiders or any insects really, I’m OK with the little ones. I’m sorry to say big insects that come in my house get killed or hoovered up as I can’t bare to move them or risk them escaping. If one does escape the first blow and drops down behind a piece of furniture the whole room gets taken to pieces until the insect is found.

I am also scared of military tanks but I’m not sure whether that’s a phobia or a legitimate fear! I find them hard to deal with on video games and even in museums when they are not in use I find them scary.
  • leeCal
    edited March 2021
    @Cher_Scope I found that knowing my subject really well filled me with confidence and helped tremendously with public speaking.
     The inner critic is the one to beat, after all the audience is only looking at you, it’s you doing the thinking about what they’re thinking (Mostly they’re thinking about your gripping subject). When you know your subject you tend to think only positively about yourself and your ability to speak on that subject. If that all makes sense.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,734 Disability Gamechanger
    Heights, seeing people bite an ice Lolly gives me cold shivers, spiders, vermin, ghosts, 
  • Quinty
    Quinty Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    I have a fear of heights to. But thats all. 
  • leeCal
    Not a phobia as such but I do find it a bit irritating to watch someone repeatedly trying to thread a needle! 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    That's a good one @leeCal!

I can just picture it - and I know exactly what you mean  :/
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope I don't get a phobia about not having any phobias. :)
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    I'm never heard of a phobia about not having any phobias @chiareds :)

But apparently, phobophobia is the name for a phobia of having phobias!

@Caz_Scope

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness